::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I’m a never practiced Buddhist.

I was talking to the reverend just the other day (golf friend) and he told me Buddhism isn’t a religion to be followed, but a philosophy to be practiced like yoga. I thought that was pretty cool.

Correct, you are not supposed to pray to "Buddha", although most Buddhists do. He is supposed to be an inspiration and guide.

Hi kids.
The first day Saturday was great. The boat ride over was nice then hiking 8 miles on relatively level dirt roads. Ended up at Pearson Landing where the campsites are right on the beach. Beautiful serene place with only eight campsite all far apart.

Sunday was a different story. It was a bit of an awful day. 1600 feet up and 1600 feet down. 8 miles. And the up was within about two miles so it was at a terrible incline. There were times my face was about 2 feet from the ground. With 28 lbs on my back I barely made it. Without my trekking poles I wouldn’t have. I cried twice it was so scary. Lots of washed out areas. These are all old dirt roads with no switchbacks. On top of the ridge was beautiful you could see both side of the ocean. With all the recent rain the island looked like Hawaii it’s so green, just gorgeous. About 4 miles of incredible views. but coming downhill was pretty painful. These are ALL roads and they are gravely and slippery. Lots of sticky mud. Even Mike hated it. Just way too much elevation. Sunday took us 9 hours. We got to town at 7 and ate at the bar, took a shower and then hiked another 1/2 mile to the campsite uphill then down in the dark.
The plan was to continue to hike across the island to a campsite on the pacific side on Monday (today). It’s only five miles but you are climbing 1200 feet up then down again. After that we had two more days of hiking wicked elevations on these same type of roads to Avalon.
Last night while we were eating dinner I told Mike we didn’t have to continue. He was so relieved. We were both completely spent. Looks like I will probably lose a few toe nails even with wearing my very good trekking shoes. The downhills reeked havoc on our feet. And we are both so sore all over. I cancelled the rest of our camping reservations. Today we took the boat to Avalon and got a motel. Tomorrow we will head home.

I’m not really disappointed. The good parts of the trip outweighed the bad. Avalon is beautiful and we had a lovely meal in a restaurant tonight. Mike was so patient with me and helped me through the rough parts, we both learned a lot about our limitations. From now on we will be sticking to hiking on trails designed for hiking in the future.

Bummer that it was so difficult but glad you view it as a positive experience.

Bummer that it was so difficult but glad you view it as a positive experience.

I HAVE to. I spent a year preparing for this venture. If I viewed it as completely horrible I’d never put the pack back on.

Hi kids.
The first day Saturday was great. The boat ride over was nice then hiking 8 miles on relatively level dirt roads. Ended up at Pearson Landing where the campsites are right on the beach. Beautiful serene place with only eight campsite all far apart.

Sunday was a different story. It was a bit of an awful day. 1600 feet up and 1600 feet down. 8 miles. And the up was within about two miles so it was at a terrible incline. There were times my face was about 2 feet from the ground. With 28 lbs on my back I barely made it. Without my trekking poles I wouldn’t have. I cried twice it was so scary. Lots of washed out areas. These are all old dirt roads with no switchbacks. On top of the ridge was beautiful you could see both side of the ocean. With all the recent rain the island looked like Hawaii it’s so green, just gorgeous. About 4 miles of incredible views. but coming downhill was pretty painful. These are ALL roads and they are gravely and slippery. Lots of sticky mud. Even Mike hated it. Just way too much elevation. Sunday took us 9 hours. We got to town at 7 and ate at the bar, took a shower and then hiked another 1/2 mile to the campsite uphill then down in the dark.
The plan was to continue to hike across the island to a campsite on the pacific side on Monday (today). It’s only five miles but you are climbing 1200 feet up then down again. After that we had two more days of hiking wicked elevations on these same type of roads to Avalon.
Last night while we were eating dinner I told Mike we didn’t have to continue. He was so relieved. We were both completely spent. Looks like I will probably lose a few toe nails even with wearing my very good trekking shoes. The downhills reeked havoc on our feet. And we are both so sore all over. I cancelled the rest of our camping reservations. Today we took the boat to Avalon and got a motel. Tomorrow we will head home.

I’m not really disappointed. The good parts of the trip outweighed the bad. Avalon is beautiful and we had a lovely meal in a restaurant tonight. Mike was so patient with me and helped me through the rough parts, we both learned a lot about our limitations. From now on we will be sticking to hiking on trails designed for hiking in the future.

I'm glad you recognized you just weren't having a good time and didn't push yourself to finish "just because". Sounds like the conditions were pretty gross...

I’m a never practiced Buddhist.

I was talking to the reverend just the other day (golf friend) and he told me Buddhism isn’t a religion to be followed, but a philosophy to be practiced like yoga. I thought that was pretty cool.

There are many faces of Buddhism. Just like other religions it can be experienced and expressed in many ways.

Correct, you are not supposed to pray to "Buddha", although most Buddhists do. He is supposed to be an inspiration and guide.

One of my professors is a Buddhist. He will tell you he is an atheist as well, but that doesn't stop him from being a Buddhist.

I HAVE to. I spent a year preparing for this venture. If I viewed it as completely horrible I’d never put the pack back on.

And you know there are other great trips out there to be done with your pack on...this just wasn't the one.

And you know there are other great trips out there to be done with your pack on...this just wasn't the one.

I was telling Mike last night at dinner we should go home and find a 3 day hike. He’s off until Monday. But my toes are toast. I need to stay out of shoes for a few days.

Shirley got resquished again today. They liked some, other spots they want to look at again in six months. I guess she is lucky to have doctors that are very persistent.

Anyone have a recipe for a low sodium, low carb meatloaf?

I've been experimenting with meatloaf for lunch since they're easy and I can easily make a sandwich but without salt they're extremely bland.

The one I made today was pretty good but weird. In order to cut down on the carbs I substituted tofu for bread crumb (I use panko usually). About 5/6 oz. of minced mushroom and a small white onion. Also used a healthy amount of granulated garlic, black pepper, granulated onion and a bit of red wine vinegar to brighten it up a little. I like the texture to be soft so the tofu worked perfect for that and didn't add any flavor.

Always looking to improve.

Anyone have a recipe for a low sodium, low carb meatloaf?

I've been experimenting with meatloaf for lunch since they're easy and I can easily make a sandwich but without salt they're extremely bland.

The one I made today was pretty good but weird. In order to cut down on the carbs I substituted tofu for bread crumb (I use panko usually). About 5/6 oz. of minced mushroom and a small white onion. Also used a healthy amount of granulated garlic, black pepper, granulated onion and a bit of red wine vinegar to brighten it up a little. I like the texture to be soft so the tofu worked perfect for that and didn't add any flavor.

Always looking to improve.

Maybe a little chopped green bell pepper.
I doesn't have to be green? Yellow, red? Maybe all the above?

add a bit of tomato paste for flavor. I bet you can buy a salt free version.

I've mostly been working on the texture.

Trying not to use breadcrumbs or rice makes the texture like a big brick of beef. I like the texture of meatloaf to be much more soft and tender. The tofu and the minced mushrooms seems to have done the trick. I used a caption of granulated garlic and granulated onion too. The flavor wasn't bad. I think it was actually adding the splash of red wine vinegar that did it.

Hiking steep inclines are tough, going up is mostly cardio vascular, but going down is tougher on your legs and feet. Ever take the trail down the road from UWC?

Top Bottom