::Leader Board:: Ahnko Honu Takes The Lead Chapter 23!

I will be practicing tonight after I get home from Lana'i.
Maybe I will make a little video.
One of my favourite things is the little birthday song Ho'o and some of the other local musicians do.
Pick any chord (I usually use G) and start with a little roll, then suddenly and with a driving rhythm:
"This is your birthday song, it doesn't last too long.
HEY!"
:biglaugh:

"He's only in the 6th grade."

It's a little early to be worrying about his college plans. We told Emma that middle school is where she learns how to do high school. Nothing she does these two years really matter...

That's what I've been telling him. This is his time to figure out how to be a better student. How to balance school and activities.

I was just trying to state that I'm not worried about college or him getting into a great college out of high school. That isn't the only route is what I was trying to convey.

Someone pointed out that amid this college entrance scandal, it's a crock that good athletes get preference over good academics. You could get beat out of a college admission because some dumb kid is better at soccer than you.

This whole college scandal thing is messed up. We have real corruption going on with our politicians and heads of federal agencies, and people are more upset and concerned about rich people abusing the college system.

Private colleges have been messing with admissions for generations and it was never a national scandal.

Focus on, and get upset about, the real issues.

PI..

Chocolate mousse pie
Banana cream
Boston cream
Pumpkin
Apple

Too many pies. Too little room in the stomach.

Last edited:
Bobby Curtis!!! Say it isn't so!!

Dateline: London
"After finishing in 42nd place in 2:21:22 in the 2017 World Championships marathon, Hanson-Brooks runner Bobby Curtis announced that he will retire by the end of the year and the World Champs would be the last marathon of his career."

I'm still waiting for "Bobby Curtis Racing" to be sponsored by Subway.

I mean, on the NASCAR circuit you can only be sponsored by Bubble-Yum for so long.

So I work with a lot of user accounts and personal data folders at work. Which means I see a lot of people's names go by during the course of the day. Most of the time I don't register any of them.

But today...today I can report that there are people working for my organization with the following last names:

Nipple
Slutsky

That is all.

Bobby Curtis!!! Say it isn't so!!

Dateline: London
"After finishing in 42nd place in 2:21:22 in the 2017 World Championships marathon, Hanson-Brooks runner Bobby Curtis announced that he will retire by the end of the year and the World Champs would be the last marathon of his career."

Good Lord. I had no idea I had a marathon career. Someone must be driving ahead of me with a pie or something.

So I work with a lot of user accounts and personal data folders at work. Which means I see a lot of people's names go by during the course of the day. Most of the time I don't register any of them.

But today...today I can report that there are people working for my organization with the following last names:

Nipple
Slutsky

That is all.

At a former bunker location there was a firm with the name of Burgess & Nipple.

Nothing like having that plasted in 12 foot tall letters on the side of a building.

Good Lord. I had no idea I had a marathon career. Someone must be driving ahead of me with a pie or something.

More than one pie!! We're talking World Championships here!!!

Poor James had a meltdown yesterday.

He was super stressed about a math placement practice test because he could only complete a small portion of the worksheet. When I talked to him I think he misunderstood the teacher. He kept saying "she said she's going to grade this!" and I told them that grading it, is different from entering it into the grade book. It's a practice placement test, you're not supposed to be able to do the whole thing. Granted, he is at grade level for math (weak by Asian standard :) ) but as an education I'd prefer that he be well, rounded and happy than a 4.0 kid with only academics for a life.

I want him to go to college of course, but I have no problem with the JC route. I feel he'd be much more prepared getting an AA first anyhow. What he would miss is that "college experience"

What I do have a problem with is that he puts a higher value on socializing rather than paying attention in his classes. He's figuring it out but a bit too slow for me. He's a bit too caught up in being popular and he's only in the 6th grade.

with all your connections it shouldn't be a problem.

This whole college scandal thing is messed up. We have real corruption going on with our politicians and heads of federal agencies, and people are more upset and concerned about rich people abusing the college system.

Private colleges have been messing with admissions for generations and it was never a national scandal.

Focus on, and get upset about, the real issues.

Student debt is a real issue for a lot of people, this is like salt in the wound.

Student debt is a real issue for a lot of people, this is like salt in the wound.

Yes student debt is an issue. But in decades past lots of very successful people got their undergraduate degrees at state schools, and small colleges, because that is what they could afford. They studied hard, got good grades, and excelled in their fields.

These days there seems to be a mentality that the ONLY school you should consider is an Ivy League, or similar elite school. That these schools are the only way you are going to get a job, and that anything else will cripple you for life.

It's been shown time and again that high school students who attend top high schools (magnet schools, etc.) face stiffer competition for both admissions and funding when applying to elite schools than if they applied to many of the other very good schools in our country. There is nothing to make them standout because everyone else has done the exact same thing, and are applying to the same schools.

One of the top technology magnet high schools in the country regularly holds assemblies for parents and students that are Juniors and Seniors to try and get the point across to them that they have a much better shot at college acceptance and full scholarships if they would simply look at other schools.

Yes student debt is an issue. But in decades past lots of very successful people got their undergraduate degrees at state schools, and small colleges, because that is what they could afford. They studied hard, got good grades, and excelled in their fields.

These days there seems to be a mentality that the ONLY school you should consider is an Ivy League, or similar elite school. That these schools are the only way you are going to get a job, and that anything else will cripple you for life.

It's been shown time and again that high school students who attend top high schools (magnet schools, etc.) face stiffer competition for both admissions and funding when applying to elite schools than if they applied to many of the other very good schools in our country. There is nothing to make them standout because everyone else has done the exact same thing, and are applying to the same schools.

One of the top technology magnet high schools in the country regularly holds assemblies for parents and students that are Juniors and Seniors to try and get the point across to them that they have a much better shot at college acceptance and full scholarships if they would simply look at other schools.

There are two reasons why elite schools matter - neither of which revolves around the actual education. First, the students at these schools enter into a world of networking that will provide them access to powerful people. Secondly, elite schools have renown that can't be touched when they appear on a resume. The most brilliant mind that ever attained a degree from Suburban Community College will not have the leg up on a student that scraped by academically at Harvard. Why? Because the HR department sees Harvard. And, the prestige of Harvard is the asset that was paid for.

Top Bottom