5 String Ukuleles - Low-G + High-G or High-G + Low-G?

How would you prefer a 5 string uke to be strung?

• Low-G, and then High-G (Sean T way)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • High-G, and then Low-G (6 string way)

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

kissing

Reaction score
I've been interested in 5 string tenors for a while... I really like the idea of having both a high-G and low-G.

I play low-G most of the time, and play a number of solo instrumentals that rely on that low-G note. However, I also like the sound of high-G and have a few songs that sound better on it.

Having several ukuleles, it would make sense to have at least one of them in high-G right? But what I've found is that if I leave an ukulele in high-G that instrument tends to get a bit neglected.... and eventually I end up putting the low-G string back on it :confused:

Thus, if I had a really nice 5-string, it would mean that it would do both for me.

I was surprised to learn that the "default" way the G string is tuned is the high-G first, then low-G second. Apparently this is how it's done on 6 and 8 strings. However for me it makes more sense for the low-G to be first, so I can play it more like a low-G ukulele.

According to this video from HMS, it seems there's no right or wrong, and in fact Sean prefers the low-G to be on top too so he can play it dominantly on the downstroke.

(go to 14:07 for the discussion)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibv9cpTuNSk

How would you prefer it?

PS: If you're wondering why this item is out of stock, you can thank me :p
https://theukulelesite.com/shop-by/...-1-koa-gloss-tenor-5-string-k-1-t5-24242.html

Last edited:
For downstrokes most people prefer to hit the high octave string first as it is much thinner and easily missed when it comes after the thick low string. That's why the vast majority of 12 string guitars are set up this way with few exceptions such as Rickenbaker electrics or models customized for artists who can play the other way round.

For downstrokes most people prefer to hit the high octave string first as it is much thinner and easily missed when it comes after the thick low string. That's why the vast majority of 12 string guitars are set up this way with few exceptions such as Rickenbaker electrics or models customized for artists who can play the other way round.

You kinda convinced me to try it the high octave string first way. I've messaged The Ukulele Site to revert back to the conventional tuning :D

I solved this problem for some songs in high ,some in low by having a DOUBLE NECK made from Cocobolo wood, concert neck and tenor neck, had two built and one of these with pickup is for sale here for awhile on marketplace, love going to groups with ONE uke rather than be taking two for years and switching them out for diff. Songs OR I just change from one to other while playing same song. Great life that is

Top Bottom