The REAL Season 491 ...Baby, You Can Drive My Car!

Hi Guys - Its been awhile since I have contributed. Sorry

Here it is - All I want to do (Sheryl Crow) - "Datsun's and Buick's"

And from your Host, a song from the very dawn of motoring, when, according to the lyrics, a ride in an automobile promised a lot more than just a trip from A to B!

Seems funny to have a vehicle called an Oldsmobile at a time when motoring was new. What nostalgia are they playing on there?

Anyway, my first car was a 1999 Nissan Micra, 1L that I bought off my cousin for 300 of the Queen's Pounds because apparently currency signs are a bad thing here. I dubbed it the Purple Peril, this is a song about its life and untimely demise.

Here's one I learned at camp in the olden days!

Hey, Val!
Thanks for hosting! It seems to almost be an unwritten ukulele law that at some point you have to record a song in your car! I've been increasingly conscious of the fact that, up until now, I've never done this and I was starting to question my uke playing credentials...
Well, this has presented me the perfect opportunity to tick that particular box with a quick one in the car park (if you'll pardon the expression...)
The eagle-eyed amongst you will notice that, rather than owning a little Deuce Coupe, I actually drive a Ford Fiesta.

Take the wheel and I will take the pedals! What could possibly go wrong? Here's a song from the classic They Might Be Giants album "Flood". With the bonus extra verse that's mysteriously written in the liner notes but not the record itself...

I am very bad at whistling. This is also an outing for a shiny new concert uke that I rewarded myself with recently. Turns out UAS is a real thing, as if you didn't know that already...

Hey, Val!
Thanks for hosting! It seems to almost be an unwritten ukulele law that at some point you have to record a song in your car!

Eek, this is the only car I own, and I'm not sure I'll fit:

IMG_20210713_210429.jpg

Anyway, yes, I've noticed this too... Next time I hire a car I'd better remember to record something in it :).

Eek, this is the only car I own, and I'm not sure I'll fit:

View attachment 134642

Anyway, yes, I've noticed this too... Next time I hire a car I'd better remember to record something in it :).

I have a feeling that you must have been cleverly disguising the fact that you are a midget, Edwin! It is very late here, so I shall bid you all goodnight. Very many thanks to all today's contributors and it would be lovely to wake up to some more songs tomorrow morning!

Rubbish week got Joe Strummer's music on my mind, so let's take a ride in a fancy car with trashy upholstery.

Hi Val! I’m away at the beach this week with family, but I had to sneak this one in. Written by Mack Rice in 1965, Wilson Pickett had a huge hit with it in 1966. I really loved the movie, The Commitments, about an Irish soul band, where this one is covered.

Mustang Sally
Mack Rice

Hi again!

I did one today during my lunch break, at work.
It is about a sleepless city. And cars and people are everywhere.
Included a blooper for you, Val. :)

This is a Maya De Vitry song that I fell in love with the first time i heard it.
https://youtu.be/fRPFSUvXyUA

I tried to play that lovely melody that Scott Rogers was playing in the linked video, but I will need time to get there.
I know if i don't do this today, i might never do it again, because other things will want my attention tomorrow.
Thank you for hosting Val!

Et Bonjour, Mes Amis ..."Le jour de gloire est arrive!" Or, in other words, it is 14th July ... Bastille Day! In happier times, we might be celebrating down at our local restaurant by the Lake tonight, rounding off a lovely meal with an amazing firework display. This year, for numerous reasons - not least the fact that it is pouring with rain AGAIN - we won't be doing that! HOWEVER, I am greatly cheered by the number of vids that have come in "overnight"; I shall update the Playlist forthwith. Please keep the engine running today!!!

apologies to anyone from around West Virginia, but this is one of those songs that you can't help but sing in a hillbilly accent ... also it's a bit of a tongue-twister so i had to wear my glasses and read the lyrics

Here is a car song! From Peter Blegvad!
A shortened version! I need some power to do this!
I lack power!

Last edited:
Top Bottom