UAS Struck Again!

JackLuis

Reaction score
I am a fan of Caramel Uku's and often search for them on Amazon. I was struck by the recent addition of Guitarleles to the Amazon listings and looked at them. Decided to buy one for my Son-In-Law for his belated Birthday present. All solid Acacia Baratone sized Guitarlele tuned E-E. Came with all the extra stuff gig bag, strap, Capo, and extra strings.

Quite pleased with myself I looked and noticed they had a Zebrawood one for a bit less money and it matches my glossy Caramel Baritone. Seeing I have/had a whole herd of Zebrawood Uku's it was just a few hours until I had broken down and order a Zebrawood one for myself!

I have had really good luck with my Caramel purchases and fully expect it will be brilliant as well. Amazon says it should be here on Tuesday and I can hardly wait!:drool::drool:

Cool! Hope to see a NUS on it soon.

Amazon teased me yesterday. I got a notice, "Not Tuesday, but Monday!"

Be still my beating heart. I already cleared a slot on the wall for it to hang.

I find it funny ukulele players changed the acronym to U. I always thought G stood for "Gear," which covered everything from amps, pedals, to guitars (even ukuleles).

OH NOoooo!

Was on Amazon drooling over my new toy and then! ZAP!!!

Caramel CUB402 Electric 30 inch All Solid Mahogany Ukulele Bass - Tuned as E-A-D-G
Visit the Caramel Store
4.5 out of 5 stars 151 ratings
| 21 answered questions
Price: $139.99 & FREE Returns

I don't have room on the wall!

I just realized that I've spent more money on Ukuleles than I have on motorcycles. Now, that's just plain sad. You can't go anywhere on a Ukulele. Or, can you?

Congrats on the new Uke. Now, start looking at instruments that are just a bit more up scale. ;)

Despite my skinflintedness I was gob smacked this morning. I looked at Caramels on Amazon and found an Gloss Ebony concert, with Rosewood armrest and cutaway, slotted head for $120! I thought long and hard (at least five-six full minutes) about it. I had the money and and as much as I like my CC-100 concert( ($45) the Ebony called my name!
My wife will kill me, so I won't tell her until it arrives. When she sees it she'll be captured by it beauty and all will be forgiven, I hope!

I'm going t have to stop looking now.

I just got my Caramel CG-103 Zebrawood Guitarlele and got it tuned.
First impressions are good, but some of the accessories were missing, picks and a capo, extra strings. No big thing as I'm covered already. Nice gig bag, not too heavy but nice backpack style. The included amp cable was a nice touch. Came with a string pin lifter so that's nice. A very nice strap was included with a head string which I like better than a neck button.

Intonation is good at the 12th fret and my tuner says very close. Strings are settling so will find out tomorrow if it stays that way. The strings are limp and rubbery as it is tuned E-E and that seems ot be a problem with Guitarleles. I may cough up the $12 for a set of 1/8th scale guitar stings which have been suggested as the proper replacements on 30" instruments.

The color of the Zebrawood is a lot blonder than my CB-103 baritone. There are a couple of funny waves in the wood, naturaly occuring and the gloss finish is perfect from all I can see.

So far very happy. My ninth Caramel/Rubin. They have come a long way in five years.

Last edited:
I find it funny ukulele players changed the acronym to U. I always thought G stood for "Gear," which covered everything from amps, pedals, to guitars (even ukuleles).

Many guitar players think of GAS as meaning "guitar acquisition syndrome".
Google tells us: GAS, also known as Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, is a chronic and progressive condition that hits many guitarists if they play for long enough. As the name implies, the afflicted guitarists find themselves unable to resist the temptation of buying more and instruments.

The Banjo Hangout and other banjo sites often refer to BAS.
Mandolin sites often use MAS.
I've even seen DAS on dulcimer sites.

Obviously, guitar players can have their little quirks like trying to appropriate the term "GAS", but we know that is it actually about gear, most likely gear associated with owning ukuleles. Ukulele owners have proper GAS, not the lame type talked about by guitar players.

I thought some simethicone would take care of the problem. But alas, I still burp and buy...

I just happened onto a YouTube video last night discussing a Caramel soprano that is supposedly all solid mahogany. It sure was beautiful!

Keith:
You're not helping! But next Monday I'll get my tenth Caramel, an Ebony Concert. It was just too beautiful to pass up. It's one in a lifetime kind of beauty! SLotted head, cutaway, sort of and an arm rest in a nice contrasting rosewood.
I purchased a Guitar course to FINALLY learn how to pay Guitar, while waiting for my Guitalele to show up I've read thru the whole course and tried out some of the instruction with my baritone. It came with a module on Dexterity training, and boy oh boy does that help. The exercises are meant to strengthen you left hand, and pinky and it was just what I needed to rehab my hand after the surgery last year ruined my left hand.
They say to play an exercise for 3-4 minutes then go on and play. So far I can only play them for 45 seconds before my hand gives out! The fret board on the Guitalele is WIDE! I'm hoping the Ebony concert will give me an easier time to build my hand strength and not have to deal with Guitar chords, which are holding me back right now. Pesky E-A stings and not playing some strings is weird.

The size of the Guitalele is just about perfect. The thing about guitars that always bugged me was how big they are. This one is the same as my Baritone and is big enough to resonate the E-A strings but small enough to play on my Lazy Boy chair. I'm finding a strap helps too.

Last edited:
I was tempted by the solid 'Hog gloss tenor, but distracted by the Ebony Concert. My cheap fugly $45 CC-100 concert sure plays beautifully and IF the Ebony plays and sounds a good I'll be happy.

Caramel has sure made some progress in getting proper setups recently and introduced a lot of soild wood models. They are targeting the Kala/Ohana market share, apparently.

;) ...of course I am.....how else are you going to find some more room to store them all..... :biglaugh::music:

All the best with the hand exercises, I'm sure you'll be back playing & enjoying yourself soon.

My hand is getting better even after one-two days of work. Also the Guitar course is helping me understand playing rather than music theory. The course concentrates on the act of playing, not the music.

Well back to the Dexterity exercises!
Cheers Keith.:shaka:

UAS can be a wonderful thing if your budget allows for it. Mine fortunately did, and now after over a dozen ukes mine seems to be cured. But of course I'm still constantly looking for that one that will ignite it once more... Enjoy the hunt. :D

UAS can be a wonderful thing if your budget allows for it. Mine fortunately did, and now after over a dozen ukes mine seems to be cured. But of course I'm still constantly looking for that one that will ignite it once more... Enjoy the hunt. :D

I think I'm cured for a while. I sold off a bunch of stuff I didn't need and raised some cash so I had the dough to spend on frivolities.

Several years ago I got bit by a Ceder and Rosewood Ohana and splurged (for me) over $300 and after a while I realized it was eye candy not that much better than my cheap Caramels. I still have it and don't play it much as I leave my Caramels on the wall and "Rosy" just gathers dust.

Top Bottom