Turtlulele

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I came across this yesterday, and it is almost tempting - almost. It looks flashy, and the back is shaped like a turtle's shell. However, the neck, frets, and nut are one piece of plastic. I don't like that at all.

The swirling paint is interesting. The ukes with that paint scheme are dipped into a vat of paint and water, so every one looks different. That's how they paint many items done in camouflage. Various colors are available. The price is $159. For half the price, it would be a nice novelty uke.

https://turtulele.com/products/jazz

Turtlulele.jpg

I've seen this one before. Jody (Girl meets uke) gave her review on YouTube.

Oh my, she was very kind in her review of that product.

(She did a geat job describing the issues though and I'm glad that even though she said she personally likes it that she was clear that it is not a good uke for a beginner.)

Last edited:
It reminds me of the Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea movie where Kirk Douglas's character built a uke (tenor guitar?) from a turtle shell.

Kirk Douglas Turtle shell guitar.jpg

Last edited:
Jerryc41,

The charango is traditionally made from an armadillo.
Saddles and nuts and sometimes inlay on fretted instruments and piano keys were traditionally made from elephant ivory.
Sheep and goat skins were used for drum heads, banjo heads, bagpipe bags. . .
Gut strings are still used by some musicians.
Mother of pearl and abalone are used for position markers and decorative trim on many fretted instruments.
Some luthiers still use hide glue to build instruments.
Many guitar and mandolin players use tortoise shell picks. Tortoise shell has also been used for pick guards.

There are alternatives to all of these.

Last edited:
Don't forget that plastic ukes are made from refined dead dinosaur juice. Okay, mostly dead plant juice compressed for millions of years. But there's some dinosaur stuff in there.

Just ask the Sinclair Oil dinosaur...

Don't forget that plastic ukes are made from refined dead dinosaur juice. Okay, mostly dead plant juice compressed for millions of years. But there's some dinosaur stuff in there.

Haha, I've seen that ugly plastic dino.
My Dad trained horses for the Sinclairs....they had money coming outta their ears.
Fiberglass construction? That must be heavy. I can't bear to watch the review.

Last edited:

These are made mainly from fiberglass. If only those dinosaurs had lasted a couple hundred million more years. We'd have a lot more oil now. :D

Top Bottom