Style 3 Myrtle Soprano

BuzzBD

Reaction score
Aloha Everyone, I am very excited about this project. Some time ago, UU member richntacoma asked me to make him a myrtle soprano. So I went through my stock of myrtle and found a nice and unusual billet, and sent him some pics of the wood for his approval. As I was up to my eyebrows in previous orders, I did not think about it any further until recently when I resawed and joined the top and back. I then realized how special this set is. Rich graciously has given me permission to do a building thread on this and I am stoked to share this with you. Here are some pictures of the top, back and sides. Enjoy!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VszgQMffq28MbUX37

Brad

Last edited:
Wow, that set is beautiful. Under your hands, it's going to be spectacular. Looking forward to seeing what unfolds!

Bluesy.

That's quite the piece of myrtle, wow! Interesting to see the finished product. :)

That’s amazing! Yes, please show more.

Brad,

I'm sure you'll make another beautiful uke from such a stunning piece of Myrtle. Keep us posted, please.

Bill

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am posting this on Uke Talk and the following post would be more appreciated in the Luthiers Lounge, but my purpose here is to educate people on some of the differences between custom instruments and factory built ones. The picture of the top shows the thickness in the center to be 1.8 mm, while the thickness of the edge is thinner at 1.6 mm. This particular nuance is common among custom builds and helps loosen the top and emphasize the monopole vibrations, which bring out the lower frequencies. The other picture shows my nominal side thickness of 1.7 mm.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/96aJoZyHf24T4sPP8

Brad

Hi Brad! I wish I could see the pics, but I can't get on these google account thingies....

Those tuners are

Worthy!

Bluesy.

Last edited:
Thanks for explaining that about the thickness Brad. I knew it wasn't uniform, but always thought it was more about construction and fit than the sound. :confused:

Now I know. :)

Getting ready to close the box. One nice touch on this uke, I used Alaska yellow cedar for the linings. I love the smell of that wood.

Attachments

• CE1CA321-994D-4102-904B-18E647B32CDC.jpeg
    CE1CA321-994D-4102-904B-18E647B32CDC.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 5DBE3C30-353A-45EE-98B8-BDDB06B18398.jpeg
    5DBE3C30-353A-45EE-98B8-BDDB06B18398.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 9A0F806D-FAF7-4F05-B321-CC663A6FCF54.jpeg
    9A0F806D-FAF7-4F05-B321-CC663A6FCF54.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 33
I will try this again, hopefully it doesn’t result in a double post, Here are some pics taken right before closing things up. I used Alaska yellow cedar for the linings, which smell delightful.

Brad

Just testing things, been having some problems posting lately. We will see if this works.
Brad

Top Bottom