Hi from Bend

FrankMCT

Reaction score
Hey, distinguished members of the forum! In searching for new hobbies I decided to learn to play the ukulele. I'm a beginner, totally. Happy, that I've found this community.
Thanks in advance and all the best
Frank

Greetings and welcome fellow Oregonian!

Do you already have a ukulele? What kind of music do you want to play on it?
Hi and thank you for the response. Appreciate that! Actually not, in a few days, I'll research this forum and probably ll ask some questions.

Welcome to UU, Frank!
If you can try a few instruments out locally, do that first. Even if none are suitable for you (you don't like their looks, sound, or the price is too low / high), you'll at least have a better idea which size is best to start on.
There's a uke for everyone, but it may take a while to find it.
Enjoy your journey.

Welcome aboard, Frank. Bend has a strong ukulele community and hosted Uke U for several years with many of the top players and teachers at the event. Hopefully the event will return in the future. There is the Bend Ukulele Group (BUGs) and others. Also, there are some very good teachers in the area if you want to go that route. Best of luck on your journey.

Bill

Welcome to the Forum, Frank! As BillM mentioned, Bend has a lively ukulele scene. Definitely worth checking out when their uke activities safely resume.

Jan D (up the road from you, in Corvallis)

Hi Frank, Welcome to the UU Forum.

First think before you buy, you'll need to figure out what size uke you want to buy. The three most common are CGEA tuned Soprano, Concert, Tenor. Or, go with a larger Baritone that is tuned DGBE. The ideal way is to try holding and strumming the three sizes. But if you can't do that, then listen to ukes in each size and go with the one that you like the sound of the most. Lots of big people play the diminutive soprano and many small people play the tenor. Or you can start with the concert that is an easy size to start with.

Do some research and read and watch unbiased and un-sponsored ukulele reviews. For instance, those found on UU Member ChoirGuy's site: http://ukestuff.info or Barry Maz's site: Gotaukulele.com Both have many reviews of ukuleles at various price points, sound samples, and tips and information. Southern Ukulele Store and Hawaii Music Supply's TheUkuleleSite.com have comparison videos on ukuleles they sell. Not totally unbiased, but informative.

Several YouTube videos about buying your first ukulele. Again, some of them are sponsored or put out by ukulele makers.

Searching for a new ukulele can be a lot of fun. It can also be a bit bewildering with so many choices out there. But it helps if you can ask the right questions as you look for ukes you like.

Ask away here and other places, but have fun.

Top Bottom