Getting better with age...

Cadia

Reaction score
So today I'm refilling my soundhole humidifiers. As I do this task, I always tune each one up and play it for a bit. I'm just amazed at how nice all of them sound, ones I haven't played in a while. Did I get bettter as a player? Has the wood proceeded to age and open up more? Is it the settling of the strings, most of which I changed out when I got the uke? Did I just forget how nice they are?? 😏 Don't know, maybe all of the above. I have a very pretty little Pono ASD acacia soprano, which is a keeper based on looks alone. I admit I've rarely played this one, as I haven't always appreciated the barky soprano sound, or high g. Well it sounds just terrific today and has me loving the sweet soprano voice it has when picked. And it's pretty loud and resonant to boot. I feel like it's a NUD day.

Yes, all of the above. Our memories are notorious for distorting what we remember. For instance if you remember someone you met had a big nose. Your memory will often exaggerate it even more. Then the next time you meet the person, you may be slow to recognize them because you memory is so much different.

The better sound is probably a mix of the instrument opening up and how you remember the instrument.

And, of course, you are a better player now...

All of the above! A few points
1. If the humidity is higher the ukes sound better.. Warmer and more full
2. Ukes do improve even if they sit in cases.
3. We improve as well
4. Our ears love the familiar.. it feels good to listen to an old sound instrument or a person..

I know I'm just getting better and better. Someday I'll achieve perfection, and then "poof!" I'll be gone like dandelion seed in the wind. We are all just tubing down the river of time. Relax, and enjoy the ride!

So today I'm refilling my soundhole humidifiers. As I do this task, I always tune each one up and play it for a bit. I'm just amazed at how nice all of them sound, ones I haven't played in a while. Did I get bettter as a player? Has the wood proceeded to age and open up more? Is it the settling of the strings, most of which I changed out when I got the uke? Did I just forget how nice they are?? 😏 Don't know, maybe all of the above. I have a very pretty little Pono ASD acacia soprano, which is a keeper based on looks alone. I admit I've rarely played this one, as I haven't always appreciated the barky soprano sound, or high g. Well it sounds just terrific today and has me loving the sweet soprano voice it has when picked. And it's pretty loud and resonant to boot. I feel like it's a NUD day.
Great post. Same here. What else I find fascinating is what I consider my favorite or "goto" uke; I would think that would be constant but that opinion changes from day to day. Is the reason the humidity, hour of the day, order in which the instrument is played, the particular song or... me?

Yes to all above, especially humidity. I also find strings do this to me. I change to something different and bam, it sound sooooo good. LOL

Great post. Same here. What else I find fascinating is what I consider my favorite or "goto" uke; I would think that would be constant but that opinion changes from day to day. Is the reason the humidity, hour of the day, order in which the instrument is played, the particular song or... me?
I know which ukulele I'd grab if there was an emergency evacuation & I could only bring one ukulele...but like you, my favorite or "go to" uke does change all the time. Some of it has to do with different necks, (my fingers are cranky & some days prefer one over the other), but sometimes, for whatever reason, I prefer the sound of a different one, too. But I'm fortunate to have choices, and get to enjoy the ukuleles that I have.

Top Bottom