Aquila strings on new ukuleles

SoCal16.1

Reaction score
How did Aquila get their strings on most new ukuleles? What a coup for them! That’s a huge deal!

Most new ukuleles are in the cheaper price ranges. Aquila Nylgut strings often sound louder than other strings on cheaper ukuleles. The beginning players that buy cheaper ukuleles have an easier time hearing volume than other sound qualities, so if they are comparing ukuleles in a store, they think the ukuleles with Aquila strings sound better.

I have noticed that some made-in-China Amazon-only low-price brands are shipping with generic nylon strings (which generally sound worse than Aquila) or generic low-tension fluorocarbon strings (which I like better than Aquila). If a brand sells doesn't sell via retail stores, they don't have to worry about customers comparing their instruments to other brands and these generic strings are probably cheaper than Aquila.

I have no idea why Kanile'a uses Aquila strings. Maybe someone can get Joe Souza to defend that decision.

Aquila Nylguts, are a new material that's designed and produced to reproduce the sound as best it can be, like the sound of traditional gut strings.
They produce the classic "ukulele" sound.
Maybe guitars that produce a louder sound can get away with nylon strings, yet ukuleles with their quiet sound really do benefit from loud strings.

While there are many different tastes, Aquila makes great quality strings that work very well on many instruments, both cheaper and high end.

Aquila are the most advanced synthetic strings that are supposed to be most similar to natural gut strings. Yet they are not really much more expensive than other strings. Using Aquila strings on cheap ukes thus gives them a high level cachet for little extra cost. Of course you need a high quality uke to fully appreciate those high quality strings, whereas many people actually like to brighten up their laminate ukes with cheaper fluorocarbon strings.

I bought my first ukulele for 20$ just to try it out and it sounded like rubberbands on a cigarbox but after changng the strings to Aquila Lava, it sounded like a musical instrument albeit not a top of the range one ;-)

I have used Aquilas on my ukuleles since AND their guitar strings for vintage guitars on my restored 100-150 year old guitars.

AND Nylgut mandolin strings on my Mandolinetto for that softer sound for classical music.

Last edited:
you want to know the real story?
here is:
-in 1997 I have discovered a new plastic better than nylon (which was used for brooms.....) that I called 'Nylgut' (nylon plus gut). In 1999 I introduced Nylgut trebles in a few Aquila guitar sets.

-In the end of 2001 that was Christmas time I sent one set of white nylgut 4 strings to Roy T. Cone of Seabrook (close to Houston, TX) ; the store is Ukuleleworld

-At January 01 of 2002 I received back from him a mail telling me what kind of great plasstic are that samples of 'damn' white strings and who I am and why I am in Italy and not in USA or Hawaii or Japan. Then he told me that his entry level chinese ukulele now plays better than an higher quality uke. He asked me 1 thousand of sets but I had just 5 experimental soprano sets available for experiments. he told me: 'man....lissen.. you maybe have not well realized: you are sit down on a million dollars'. send me that damn uke strings right now and I will do another website for nylgut aquila'
I was then obliged to design the envelopes, all the sets.. everything in just 1 month etc etc. Roy mailed me in a 'texan way' (ah ah ). Roy was and is one of my best friends ever.

-2003 a guy from Honolulu mailed me asking me a favour: to change the color from white to the traditional black color telling me that due to the vulcan stone their beaches are black. I answered him that I was born in an island -Sardinia- here in Italy, were the beaches are very white and that I have no intention to change the color from white to black. he told me that I will failed. The comunications were with no fights, always polite.

-in 2004 or 2005 Bushmann asked me to supply him with 1,000 bulk sets for the Jenny ukulele. The white strings start to be seen by the chinese makers in south china

- in 2004 was the time of the chinese Leolani ukulele brand with order of 10,000 bulk sets every two months

-in 2006 0r 2007 was the time of Kala ukuleles and Cordoba ukuleles to order us huge quantity of bulk sets

- in begginning 2008 the Hohner Lanikai started to order us 200,000 and more bulk sets per year

- in late 2008, having seen that Kala, Hohner. Cordoba equiped their ukuleles with aquilas every chinese ukulele maker asked us nylgut strings

-in 2008 aquila bought its first extruder plant with the capacity of 50,000 single ukulele strings per day.
(Now we runs 5 plant whose total capacity per day is around 400,000 single uke strings)

- In 2010 almost 90% of all chinese makers switched from the black nylon to the white nylgut strings (original form Italy or fake aquilas)

-in 2016 I introduce the black nylgut Lava series in syncere homage to all he Hawaiian people.

Mimmo Peruffo Aquilastrings founder Italy

Last edited:
Thank you Mimmo for that fascinating story of your Aquila strings! Nothing beats getting the information from the source...

you want to know the real story?
here is:
-in 1997 I have discovered a new plastic better than nylon that I called 'Nylgut' (nylon plus gut). In 1999 I introduced Nylgut trebles in a few Aquila guitar sets.

-In the end of 2001 I sent a few nylgut ukulele soprano strings to Roy T. Cone of Seabrook ; Ukuleleworld (close to Houston, TX).

-At January 01 of 2002 I received back from him a mail telling me what kind are these hite strings. He told me that his entry level ukulele plays better than an higher quality uke. He asked me 1 thousand of sets but I had just 5 experimental soprano sets.
I was then obliged to design the envelopes, all the sets.. everything in just 1 month etc etc. Roy mailed me in a 'texan way' (ah ah ). Roy was and is one of my best friends ever.

-in 2004 Bushmann asked me to supply him with 1,000 bulk sets, then was the time of the chinese Leolani ukulele brand 10,000 bulk sets.

-in 2008 was the time of kala ukuleles and Cordoba ukuleles

- always in 2008 the Hohner Lanikai started to order us 200,000 and more bulk sets per year

- in late 2008 , having seen that Kala and Hohner equiped their ukuleles with aquilas every chinese ukulele maker asked us nylgut strings
in 2008 aquila bought its first extruder plant with the capavity of 50,000 single ukulele strings per day.Now we runs 5 plant whose total capacity per day is around 400,000 single uke strings
Mimmo Peruffo Aquilastrings

400.000 Wauv.
But I still see you in your old workshop, making strings by hand as shown in that video I like so much. :)

Last edited:
+1000 for Aquila strings. They are well priced. They make a cheaper laminate Uke sound better. Kanile’a uses them so they sound great on high end ukuleles. They stay in tune and stretch to tune quickly. They aren’t for every ukulele but what string is. Mimmo is innovative and keep bringing new stuff to our market….Red, Super Nylgut, Sugars……Lava etc etc. Mimmo support UU members with test string to get our opinions!

My first ukulele a Pono AT really sounded good when I tried fluro, so I went to fluro. I don’t think I’ve ever tried original Nylgut on it. Now with so many choices from Aquila and such a good price point, I’m back to trying Aquila on all my ukuleles right up to customs. I like the concert string on my tenors. Less booming c and slightly thinner, nice feel.

Great story on the actual history of Aquila development and the adoption of Aquila as the manufacturers standard. String are very individual but if you haven’t tried Aquila lately, try it. Also, leave string on for a month, let the, settle, play them a lot. I’ve been guilty of removing strings too quickly and not giving them a chance. To quick a change and you don’t know what you have. This is true for fluro, nylon, Nylgut, titanium, extruded, ground nylon, you name it. Just a suggestion!

.... Also, leave string on for a month, let the, settle, play them a lot. I’ve been guilty of removing strings too quickly and not giving them a chance. To quick a change and you don’t know what you have. This is true for fluro, nylon, Nylgut, titanium, extruded, ground nylon, you name it. Just a suggestion!
Totally agree, leave new strings on a month or so before changing them out. They adjust and change in tone. Fluoros as well. For me, the fluoros become louder, after seeming a bit quiet at first.

I've tried most of the variations. I'm a fan of some, not as much others. They do change the character of the sounds of different types of ukes. My Ohana Nunes replica sounds fantastic with the Sugar strings. The Martin Premiums (formerly Carbonblacks) are terrific on some instruments, OK on others.

Mimmo is continually tweaking his recipes and his innovations are fun to try.

It's great to see how active you are here. Thanks for the great history lesson.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Since Mimmo is in this thread and reading it, I do have a general question! I was looking at Aquila strings the other day and I noticed that there is a "singability" scale associated with each type of string you make. What does singability mean exactly?

Thanks for your time Mimmo, you're a genius!

Thanks, Mimmo, for your reply to my question! I never thought I would get such a thorough and informative description of the history of Aquila strings. So interesting. It make me appreciate my new Ohana and my older Kala all the more.

Thank you very much guys,
this was just a short story in order to answer to the question 'how what possible that aquila... etc etc'. I am very happy to be there together you: I am a player since a lot of time ago (Lute and classical guitar then ukulele).
Yes, i like also to answer to all your questions as well as to have back from you the feedbacks about new kind of strings: you are very kind to help me with your contribute.

A few further answers to the questions: in the beginning the strings were just 'Nylgut'. then I stopped this name and was the time of new Nylgut (because i introduced a little change on the formulation in order to solve the problem of a certain amount of waste due the ovalization's problem of some strings. Supernylgut is made a bit different than new nylgut (not in the formulation however) : in Supernylgut it have increase the stetching ratio in order to have less turns around the pegs and mske the tuning process faster (that was a huge problem for the chinese manufacturer: if in order to strung a ukulele with 4 nylon strings need, for example, 45 seconds, switching to nylgut they rise up to almost twice of the time and this is not good for them.
With Supernylgut I was able to drop to about 60 seconds or so on instead twice.
Yes, I know, it seems to be a silly problem; instead for the chinese factory was an important problem that needed to be solved.

however. at the end of the day one can suppose that new nylgut ans supernylgut are the same. No. 1) the gauges of the sets are different: a bit thicker on supernylgut; 2) the different stretching ratio change of a little the kind of sound.

Lava nylgut: the formulation and gauges are the same of new Nylgut; there is the dark gray color ingredient. But I discovered that the sound is a bit different; maybe this is caused by the plastic inside the color pellet that is called 'carrier'.
Nyltech we produce for Daddario: sorry guy but I cannot tell you many things (we signed a contract) ; basically is Nylgut with some different ingredients.

Oh.... I have no time to tell you the story when an extruder had an explosion and the melted nylgut went on my face and on my eyes at 260 celsius and I was close to become a blind man on the two eyes. I went in the hospital for a week.... or when during the Shanghai fair of 2011 I discover a huge manufacturer of fake Aquilas and then I was obliged to run away very fast in the corridors of the fair with the very upset forger back to me having intention to punch me.
Or when I introduced traces of a special ingredient into the strings in order to discover which are original and which are fakes with the help of a special detector. Ah, thanks to this solution in the 2013 shanghai fair I discover a lot of fake aquilas installed up on the ukulele of many booths.
Ciao
Mimmo

Ps: "singability" ah ah: maybe is better that instead to traslate the italian 'cantabilità' in that way we try to realize how the english language people translate this italian way in the right english therm.

Last edited:
The device to detect fake Aquila strings is a "blacklight" ultraviolet-A, which I have in a flashlight/torch form. So far I've not found a fake set in a few stores I've been to in Los Angeles.

Top Bottom