500! The Songs of Ukulele Underground

Hey all! I've been here since Season 151. Only missed a few. I can't tell you how much being welcomed by you crazy kids has meant to me.

Thanks to Joko and Aldrine! Now here's a song to accompany a cool drink after you've left part of your brain on a swab (I'm vaccinated, but getting ready to travel so I got tested ... )

Thanks for hosting Joko, a very appropriate theme. 500 is a lot of weeks, I joined in week 212 shortly after discovering that such a thing as a baritone ukulele existed. I dip into the seasons when time allows but couldn't not join in this week. One I've probably done a couple of times before, it's a Beatles song, nothing new there then !

Aloha Seasonistas!
FIVE HUNDRED?!?!?!?!?!
Crazy!
I have chosen my song, now I just need to learn it. Looking forward to being around more now that the forum appears to be fixed!

Over there at the UU+, they do regular songwriting challenges which are open to anyone. Their current scenario is to write a song that could be the opening of 90's TV show.... in the key of D. Well, I can kill two birds with one stone here.

Island In The Sun Harry Belafonte & Irving Burgie 1956

I'm a relative newcomer to the Seasonistas. I joined in Season 427: there's a band playing on the radio... which means I've been here for 73 seasons, but I'm having a lot of fun and am making some great new friends.

This is not a song that I'd normally choose, but when I saw it on the Song Library, I was reminded of a time in high school when I asked my girlfriend to go and see Miriam Makeba and Harry Belafonte with me. She was sick as a dog by the time the concert rolled along and I took my mom (who was a Harry Belafonte fan too) instead.

Last edited:
Thank you, Joko! This is awesome! I started in Week 22 and drifted away (life intervened) after Week 144. In between, Craig and I met Seasonistas in other states, and made fast friends with some from four European countries.

I'd like to put up the Seasonistas Anthem video that we made in 2014. It supports your description that Seasonistas come from all of the world. I launched the project and drummed up participants, but Bill (veintres skidoo) made it happen.

Last edited:
asked my brother Ivan and his wife Deb to bring something to 500 - thanks you two
they are both seasonistas having appeared with me in previous seasons

Last edited:

Hi there, I would like to submit a tune for this Season, Ventura Highway by America.
I originally saw the Ukulele Underground tutorial a couple of years ago as it is one of my favourite songs. It took many, many attempts to get some semblance :unsure:
The tune brings back memories of a trip I did with my wife and young daughter 25 years ago to West Coast USA, we visited Ventura.

I think this is my first ever Beatles cover on U tube. No idea why it's taken so long. I picked a very obscure one ...Let it Be.
The accompanying time lapse drawing is of a street scene in a little coastal village in Italy called Vernazza. Normally it is a busy tourist town but I was there one winter and it was dead as...still nice though.

This was the first song where I figured out the chord progression by ear. I still remember the day I stumbled upon it while practicing my chord changes...I thought "hey, this sounds familiar. Could I actually be right?" I eventually learned the chorus melody from a piano tutorial.

Now with SOTU 500, I found a tutorial on UU that included the intro riff, which saved me a ton of time. The solos on the last part were mostly improvised. I just knew that I wanted to play with feedback and try to make it musical. I also wanted to make the two solos have their own character...I'm not sure I'd call it a success?

This was a pain to put together, I hope you all enjoy it.

Thank you, Joko! This is awesome! I started in Week 22 and drifted away (life intervened) after Week 144. In between, Craig and I met Seasonistas in other states, and made fast friends with some from four European countries.

I'd like to put up the Seasonistas Anthem video that we made in 2014. It supports your description that Seasonistas come from all of the world. I launched the project and drummed up participants, but Bill (veintres skidoo) made it happen.

Oh how great to hear that again and to see so many faces that have drifted away (as well as passed on 😥). So great that you stopped by Ginny. Miss you.

I posted my first Seasons in, I believe, Season 64. That seems to be more than 8 years ago. I didn't post every week, but I did put up something in the neighborhood of 250 entries over the years. I'm not here as much as I used to be, but, like so many others, I have more than a few people I count as friends who I first encountered here. I have also loved the collaborations I was able to do with so many supremely talented other Seasonistas. Hope to get to see my Season friends when travel becomes a thing again.

In the meantime, I took a quick look at the song choices and grabbed this terrific tune from Goffin and King. Man, when I look back at some of the early Season entries, I have gotten so much more comfortable with the uke since then. Hope you like it, as always.

I joined around season 74 and have long bouts of participating but am easily distracted and will disappear from time to time. My celebration is not just for the longevity of the seasons but for the ever evolving new comers who are the real fuel that keep this engine running. I think there's probably two people from what I've read who were here from the very start so without all the new faces we wouldn't exist today so happy 500th Anniversary to everyone thats jumped aboard. Cheers for hosting Joko, I've opted from the lead part of Aldrine's 'Europa' purely because I vaguely know it from when I did It yonks back so be gentle as its done from memory eeeeeek

Last edited:
So, Season 500 eh?
I am a mere youngster, only joining in around week 180, but coming up to this landmark I have been thinking about a few names we used to see...
Some who left us forever too soon - Lesley Fowkes, Randy, and (just before I started) UkeyDave.
Some who were regulars, but now just pop in from time to time, always a cause for celebration - Linda Louden, Myrna, TurtleDrum, JazzBanjoRex, Alan Thornton.
And a few who were so good and make me ask where are they now - Dickadcock, the unique SparkyCola, Voni Kengla, and (the name escapes me) a Spanish lady who often included her son in her videos.
But as people drift away, newcomers fill their spaces, and long may it continue.

As for me, this week is a van recording, and the sound plays up a bit at times, but I couldn't miss out.

Top Bottom