how big are your ukulele collections?

Just three for me! I've got my trusty Makala Dolphin soprano, my Enya Nova U Pro Tenor, and my Martin T1K. I hardly play the Makala anymore and I really prefer tenor size. The T1K gets a few hours every day and the Enya mostly gets played if I want low G or I'm going somewhere. I pretty much carry around my uke bag with me everywhere instead of a purse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven't had the Martin very long, but I already feel myself itching to want to upgrade to a dream uke, not that I could afford it rn.

I build my own, and I currently have 7. Several of my previous builds have gone on to new homes with family or friends, and I have a pair hanging on the wall behind me that I plan to give away to a couple of colleagues once my current Kasha tenor project is complete.

Yeah, you need a few, as George Harrison told Tom Petty
Yeah, I have that George Harrison story DVD. That makes me laugh every time, "We may need more." hahahahaha It just makes me laugh. George was great. Thanks, Tom for sharing that.

At this point, I'm not sure. You see, most of mine are in storage while a new house is being built. Here in the apartment I now have 18. I know the total is over 80, but I can't say for sure exactly how many. They better hurry up on that construction before I need a bigger house! :rolleyes:

Too many. I'm afraid to count, although still just a fraction of Jerry or George's collections. I hate selling, but if I could get it down to about a dozen, that would be good.

Too many. I'm afraid to count, although still just a fraction of Jerry or George's collections. I hate selling, but if I could get it down to about a dozen, that would be good.
I've had that same goal for the last two years and all I do is increase the number. But this year will be different! :LOL:

I have 7. And I have only been playing for 8 months (a confession, not a boast). Here goes…

VTAB EL-55 concert. Not my first uke, but the one I bought after the cheapo soprano starter (since given away to a good home) when I realised I really liked playing the uke. Currently restrung low G - it brings out the bassiness which was always there.

Enya EUR-X1. A round camp-style soprano uke made of HPL, bought for cheap. Really well-made but quiet. I experimented a bit with strings to increase the volume, but it’s still kind of a novelty.

Snail UKT-528. So far my only tenor. At first I played this a lot, but it got displaced in my affections by others. Now it’s restrung with Aquila Red low Gs, and it’s back to being really played.

Cort UKE-BWS. My first solid wood, and a soprano. I absolutely love this one unconditionally. It gets played a lot, and it feels so comfortable and familiar.

Noah mahogany and spruce pineapple. This took some getting used to, I and I went through a few different strings before settling on Martin fluorocarbons. I like it, but I have mild intonation issues.

Flight NUB310 baritone. The first uke I bought from a shop in person. I just fell in love with the sound. And it is really good to have something different.

Uma UK30ST. Solid acacia concert, by most beautiful uke. The second one I bought from a physical shop, which involved a special trip. I love it.

UAS is currently dormant, but I can see solid wood tenor and baritones in the future, and maybe another soprano. Okay, not dormant at all, but I can wait a few months now between acquisitions.

Last edited:

Marry somebody who doesn't play; that'll cut down your uke count.

I currently have 4 ukes after giving a couple away. Now with only 4, I can easily list all my uke without forgetting any. It's funny, because just as I was typing the previous sentence and listing all my ukes in my head, I realized that I forgot 1 uke, so I actually have 5. Now, I'm worried if I really just have 5... This is the trouble of only playing a single uke and keeping the rest in semi-permanent storage. :)

My collection (in order of purchase). All are strung with Ko'olau Aho fluorocarbon strings with Smoothwound low-G.

1. Pono AT (Acacia Tenor). My first uke and it's my small-room instrument. Beautiful woody sound.
2. Fender Montecito (Tenor), which I got for a bargain on eBay with pickup installed. Ok sound, but much better with an acoustic amp. It's also the one I take when camping or traveling.
3. Pono ATD-SP (Acacia Tenor Deluxe with Spruce top). The nicest of the lot with amazing projection.

I try to play daily, picking one depending on my mood. Mainly playing classical fingerstyle.
Ponos are fab ukuleles..I use worth brown strings with my two pono sopranos..

Pono acacia soprano - Pono mahogany soprano - John Claughton soprano - uluru mango soprano - uluru koa soprano - 2 alic plastic sopranos - 2 ' bowley ' sopranos - 2 bruko sopranos - baton rouge ur 108 s all rosewood soprano - mele mahogany soprano - tokai bocote soprano - 2 makala dolphin sopranos - hamano h 100 soprano - plus two antique sopranos which I thought would sound better as they are so old..they dont..I have quite a few Concert and Tenor ukes too..lol

Top Bottom