Brooks England Koa Wood Bicycle Saddle :)

DJ Mango

Reaction score
02.b211-a07203-b17-leather-honey-top_1.jpg

Lol... I assume this is their B17 saddle. Had one decades ago. I can vouch that they "opened up" with time and usage.

The sound holes are a bit small.

John Colter

Looks like vinyl to me. I have a similar one in that color on my ebike...

Looks like vinyl to me. I have a similar one in that color on my ebike...
Brooks England have been making and selling the B17 model for over 100 years. If it's a genuine Brooks B17, it'll will be leather.

Remember the Brooks Professional with the big copper rivets?

s-l1600.jpg

In addition to my " Koa Wood " B-17 , I have a B-17 Special Titanium , and a B-17 Special Flyer .

So is the one in the post a new one for you? Do you use neatsfoot oil to help break it in or just keep hitting it with a baseball bat?

So is the one in the post a new one for you? Do you use neatsfoot oil to help break it in or just keep hitting it with a baseball bat?
Post is a product shot from Brooks England website , but I do have that saddle .
I follow Brooks instruction for using Proofide .
The way I break in my Brooks is by riding .

Reactions: tm3
I was so confused, I thought there was koa on the saddle somewhere, but I couldn't think where they would use wood. Maybe for the Brooks logo on the back. I love Brooks, but surprisingly, I don't think I've every ridden a B17. I have a swift on my bike, a swallow waiting for a build, and a flyer on my wife's.

I am a Brooks convert and have the B17 carved in “Koa”. I also have the B17 in “Ebony”. Yes they certainly open up with time

Sweet "17's" but all my Brooks are the "Swift" road model in "honey blonde" ... sweet rides.

One look at that saddle is all it takes to remind me of why I ride recumbents!

I still have a mint black/big rivets saddle like KKimura's... along with my Raleigh Competition GS that I used to road race in college for Pernod mineral water (not sure if they're even still around...) a loooong time ago.... early/mid 1980's

Also still have the extra set of Comp GS wheels laced with Fiamme ergal rims with Clemente silk sew-ups for the track on a rack in the garage....

Attachments

• Raleigh Comp GS.jpg
    Raleigh Comp GS.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Front Badge.jpg
    Front Badge.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Top Tube Decal.jpg
    Top Tube Decal.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Down Tube Decal.jpg
    Down Tube Decal.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 7
I still have a mint black/big rivets saddle like KKimura's... along with my Raleigh Competition GS that I used to road race in college for Pernod mineral water (not sure if they're even still around...) a loooong time ago.... early/mid 1980's

Also still have the extra set of Comp GS wheels laced with Fiamme ergal rims with Clemente silk sew-ups for the track on a rack in the garage....
Sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone but that big rivet Brooks Professional in the pic isn't mine. I just lusted after them during my biking days.

Oh man, that's a really nice looking bike. I have a Raleigh too, but unfortunately it's not pre turn of the century. I put on some down tube shifters, but I wish I coulda replaced the stem with a quill. Really liked the old Raleighs, even though they were a bit before my time. Shame they don't keep making steel anymore.

It's like ukes...there are still custom builders around, but most everything you see in stores is made in a giant (no pun intended) factory in china!

Btw, cycling was another activity that took off during COVID, some shops ran out of stock and had long wait lists for repairs.

Oh man, that's a really nice looking bike. I have a Raleigh too, but unfortunately it's not pre turn of the century. I put on some down tube shifters, but I wish I coulda replaced the stem with a quill. Really liked the old Raleighs, even though they were a bit before my time. Shame they don't keep making steel anymore.
Thanks. I always cleaned it after every run (race or practice). Frame & fork blades are actually double-butted Reynolds 531 alloy combo to make it a lot lighter than standard. Even the wheel spokes are double-butted to lighten them up. Drive train all Campagnolo.

Changing a tube in a sew-up tire by the side of the road is lots of fun (make sure you have a little bottle of gas to eat up the glue so you can get the tire off :rolleyes:)...

Attachments

• Seat Tube Decal.jpg
    Seat Tube Decal.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Tour de France Decal.jpg
    Tour de France Decal.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Fork Decal.jpg
    Fork Decal.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom