Show us your ukes!

My plain black soprano uke from gear4music. Cost me only 25 euros, too. I'm not fussed about instruments needing to be high end. Some people want a warm sound, but I like the slightly harsh, insectile sound of mine.

IMG_20211004_212802.jpg

Also this is my 'Ukeing Ground' as it were. I often go here to wander around and play. Got a smile and a wave from a biker while playing some heavy chords on that bridge.

ukebridge.jpg

I have a Limited Edition Ohana Concert that is just so pretty! I was taking a short vacation last week, and took it with me. I was playing it one morning at the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort, when a young man passing by stopped to listen. When I looked up at him, he said, "That's the most beautiful Ukulele I've ever seen!" I was flattered (don't know why) and showed him all the custom features of the instrument. Here it is for y'all to gawk at:
View attachment 135945
I'm gawking. That's gorgeous.

I have a Limited Edition Ohana Concert that is just so pretty! I was taking a short vacation last week, and took it with me. I was playing it one morning at the Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort, when a young man passing by stopped to listen. When I looked up at him, he said, "That's the most beautiful Ukulele I've ever seen!" I was flattered (don't know why) and showed him all the custom features of the instrument. Here it is for y'all to gawk at:
View attachment 135945
Stunningly beautiful!

kathy

My plain black soprano uke from gear4music. Cost me only 25 euros, too. I'm not fussed about instruments needing to be high end. Some people want a warm sound, but I like the slightly harsh, insectile sound of mine.

View attachment 136145
Far too many people spend their time GETTING the instrument and not enough time learning to PLAY the instrument!

Far too many people spend their time GETTING the instrument and not enough time learning to PLAY the instrument!
I understand wanting a warm toned instrument, but for me, the appeal of the uke was the high, hollow, insectile sound...as if a dragonfly or moth decided to try and sing.

I usually go for low instruments; I mostly listen to male singers because I preferred the low frequencies. Then I saw a girl playing a soprano uke on reddit and found the timbre fascinating and increasingly wanted one of my own. I thought to myself, you've been obsessed with the same set of favorite subjects since 2014, why not try something new?

I know I'm not the only one to draw that association, because the word ukulele means something like winged insect in Hawaiian.

I understand wanting a warm toned instrument, but for me, the appeal of the uke was the high, hollow, insectile sound...as if a dragonfly or moth decided to try and sing.

I usually go for low instruments; I mostly listen to male singers because I preferred the low frequencies. Then I saw a girl playing a soprano uke on reddit and found the timbre fascinating and increasingly wanted one of my own. I thought to myself, you've been obsessed with the same set of favorite subjects since 2014, why not try something new?

I know I'm not the only one to draw that association, because the word ukulele means something like winged insect in Hawaiian.
I think you did great. I feel every instrument has songs in them, and its our job to pull them out. Its their songs, we just crank the handle like an organ grinding monkey. You did really well.

I think you did great. I feel every instrument has songs in them, and its our job to pull them out. Its their songs, we just crank the handle like an organ grinding monkey. You did really well.
Thanks. I feel the same way when I write music: something outside myself is asking me to carry out the task of communicating the music to the world. I'm just the operator.

How do you like the Shima long neck?
I really like the Shima for what I need. I use it primarily for classical fingerpicking and needed the longer and wider fingerboard while still retaining that “chime” sound of the soprano body. It sounds clear up and down the fingerboard and the nylon strings give it a more harp-like sound. But the sound is complex (I now understand the benefit of side sound holes) bcz when I face the body - good sustain - I can hear the real and better sound projecting. It has a good strumming sound and does well for either jazz or swing. I believe it would do everything Jake talks about in the page. The one odd thing is that the string set is a custom package put together by Jake so you can’t get exact replacement from a store. I haven’t needed to replace the strings yet but Shima recommends D’Addario Pro Arte. I will eventually experiment. But so far loving it. I will probably be looking for a more traditional sounding soprano or long neck soprano in coming months to complement it.
Finally it is very well made and Shima very responsive with questions. I got it new off eBay at a great price and came set up very well out of the box. Great value.

Last edited:
I really like the Shima for what I need. I use it primarily for classical fingerpicking and needed the longer and wider fingerboard while still retaining that “chime” sound of the soprano body. It sounds clear up and down the fingerboard and the nylon strings give it a more harp-like sound. But the sound is complex (I now understand the benefit of side sound holes) bcz when I face the body - good sustain - I can hear the real and better sound projecting. It has a good strumming sound and does well for either jazz or swing. I believe it would do everything Jake talks about in the page. The one odd thing is that the string set is a custom package put together by Jake so you can’t get exact replacement from a store. I haven’t needed to replace the strings yet but Shima recommends D’Addario Pro Arte. I will eventually experiment. But so far loving it. I will probably be looking for a more traditional sounding soprano or long neck soprano in coming months to complement it.
Finally it is very well made and Shima very responsive with questions. I got it new off eBay at a great price and came set up very well out of the box. Great value.
Wow, great review! It seems like a really good quality ukulele for the price. That is interesting about the strings that come with it though. If you will be looking for another long neck soprano to complement it, I recommend the Kala KA-KSLNG. It was my first ukulele and still one of my favorites. Btw - we are going to see Jake perform next month in Portland! ⁸

Here is my offering. Flight Victoria tenor with soundwave and Shima long neck soprano. View attachment 136521
I also have a Shima bought here on the Marketplace. It came with Worth Browns and I have it tuned down to F Bb D G

Top Bottom