NUD: EJ Henderson, Red Spruce and Maple Tenor

kerneltime

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I learnt about Jane (http://ejhendersonguitars.com/) from a fretboard journal podcast ( https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcasts/podcast-258-jayne-henderson-of-ej-henderson-guitars/ ) few years back and had reached out to be added to her waitlist.

Last year she had a tenor that was at risk of being orphaned and I jumped but the customer did show up… at least that did help me get on a build slot this year :)

I received this beautiful ukulele a couple of weeks back and I am impressed and amazed.
The aesthetics are simple, elegant and pristine. The choice of woods blew me away in terms of looks as well as sound.
She primarily builds guitars but she plays and loves to build Ukuleles as well.
I have clicked more pics and sound samples here: https://kerneltime.smugmug.com/Ukulele/EJ-Henderson/n-D5sR7P

The low end is beautiful and strong . The high end bell-ish and chimes. This is a great ukulele for strumming as well as finger picking.
If you are in the market for a custom ukulele do visit her site.

The fretboard dots are copper matching the handmade copper inlay on the headstock.
i-QsfZJZh-D.jpg

i-QqvjKKQ-D.jpg

i-8T5cp7k-D.jpg

I forgot to mention that binding is translucent and the uke glows under sunlight and is sublime.

Ohhh. I love everything about your new ukulele. Beautiful, & great sound,
Enjoy it!

That's a beautiful uke! Sounds great, too. I especially like the ebony(?) on the back of the headstock.

Congrats. Looks stunning. The back looks like ripples of gold water! How amazing is that! I have to admit I have never heard of her but I ended up listening to the whole podcast and checking her Facebook page.

That is an absolutely beautiful instrument, the high quality craftsmanship really shines through. Congratulations it’s sounds as great as it looks, it’s really a special piece.
Her father Wayne Henderson is a very highly regarded and sought after luthier, she has learned from the best

That's a great looker. Glad the sound is well balanced. Sometimes spruce/maple can get really bright. But the combination sounds terrific in your uke.

Congratulations.

That's a great looker. Glad the sound is well balanced. Sometimes spruce/maple can get really bright. But the combination sounds terrific in your uke.

Congratulations.
I have heard that being said often but I have owned a Kamoa with similar wood combos and have an all maple grimes baritone. They both sound nice and warm. Maple and spruce might be my fav wood combo..

I have heard that being said often but I have owned a Kamoa with similar wood combos and have an all maple grimes baritone. They both sound nice and warm. Maple and spruce might be my fav wood combo..
I have a Spruce/Maple Aaron Oya Tenor that is not exactly bright, nor is it warm. It's lively and complex, but hard to quantify. I like it a lot.

Lovely instrument. Thanks for bringing Jane to our attention. I'm checking out her web site and her inlays are stunning.

kathy

Stunning looking ukulele. I love the wood combinations. Headstock is very cool! i bet it sounds great. Congratulations! Enjoy. Sound samples in future?

Stunning looking ukulele. I love the wood combinations. Headstock is very cool! i bet it sounds great. Congratulations! Enjoy. Sound samples in future?
The gallery hosted on smugnug in the post should have a sound sample as well.

Top Bottom