SEASON 503 "SUPERMARKET SWEEP!!!"

relieved to see i'm not the only person here who considers alcohol an essential grocery list item 🍻
I love this song so much, I did a cover of this song by Edward Laska and Albert von Tilzer from 1919.

How limited your options are between 7 and Eleven.

(EDIT - for some reason the audio is missing. Got to start work now. Will have another go tomorrow. :(

Last edited:
And good morning, etc. from deepest France, where it is actually quite late. The Playlist is up to date ... I have just added Rob's intriguing samba. Chris, please persevere ... I look forward to "hearing" your song. And please keep those songs coming today ... it's Friday, after all, so it must be time to go shopping!

You don't get many of these in supermarkets (though I did buy one once in Lidl) - but I hope this song fits the bill as things that we buy (and continue acquiring obsessively). This songs asks the age old question do I have....

Sorry I got the season number wrong. This week has been crazy. Only learning this song has kept me sane.

Please enjoy!

Hi Val! Here in my conservatory bringing you one from Sam Fender

Last edited:
Hi again, Val! After listening to Dave, The Cloverdale Kid, bring Cold Beer, I remembered this Michelle Shocked tune from her second album, Short Sharp Shocked, one I listened to until I couldn't anymore. I still love it, but had a really hard time finding a recording of it online. Thanks to my son Owen's excellent internet skills, I got to listen to it again on SoundCloud. If you've never had a listen to that album, do yourself a favor and try to find it. It's not on Spotify, I warn you. A little background: Texas used to have some counties that were dry counties, meaning they didn't sell alcohol. At all. (See Gillian Welch's fantastic song, Dry Town) Some places in Texas didn't used to sell alcohol on Sundays. In Oklahoma, my home state, the only beer you could buy in a grocery store was 3.2% alcohol by volume. Sheesh. Usually it's around 5 or 6%. It was the only state in the union that required that.

(Making The Run To) Gladewater
Michelle Shocked

Hi, Val! I thought about a lot of songs before I decided to do another from Rick Estrin and the Nightcats. The band's been based in Sacramento, California, since 1973, when they were called Little Charlie and the Nightcats (Charlie Baty was the guitarist; Estrin the singer/songwriter/harmonica player). Charlie retired about a decade ago and sadly passed away. Estrin kept the band going and they recently won the Blues Foundation's award for Band of the Year (Estrin has been the harmonica player of the year several times).

This is one from a long time ago -- the 1980s -- about a fellow who hopes a shopping spree can extend his life on this earth. Good luck to him.

Filipino Box Spring Hog (Words)
I hung on the Mary's stump
danced with a soldier's glee
With a Rum Soaked Crook and a big fat laugh
I spent my last dollar on thee
I saw Bill Bones, I gave him a yell
Kehoe spiked the nog
With a chain link fence and a scrap iron jaw
We're cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog
cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog

Spider rolled in from Hollister Burn
with a one-eyed stolen mare
Donned herself in the chicken fat
Sawing on a jawbone violin there
Kathleen was sitten down in
little Red's recovery room,
In her criminal underwear bra
I was naked to the waist
with my fierce black hound, and I'm

Dig a big pit in a dirty alley road
Fill it with madrone and bay
Stinks like hell and the neighbors complain
I don't give a hoot what they say
Turn that hog, roll him over nice
Baste him with a sweeping broom
You got to swat them flies and chain up the dogs
Cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog

Jerk meat possum with grapes and figs
Old Brown Betty in a yellow wig
T'ain't the mince meat filagree
T'ain't the turkey neck stew
T'aint them bruleed okra seeds
though she made them especially for you

Worse won a prize for her Bottom Black Pie
The beans got thrown to the dogs
Jaheseus Christ, I can always make room
When they're cookin' up a Filipino Box Spring Hog

EDIT: didn’t realise someone had already done this! Feel free to leave off the list if against the rules!

Made a bit of a mess of this but my hand gets really tired from the pinky muting! I also have to use different fingering for the g chord which is confusing. Anyway I’ll keep working on the reggae strum...

Last edited:
shopping for baked beans hoping they're on special....

I still think it's a shame there were no verses about flatulence haha

Seriously though, enjoyed my first ever Season, and I shall join again next week and this time actually play the hyperlights!

Seriously though, enjoyed my first ever Season, and I shall join again next week and this time actually play the hyperlights!
to really join the seasons you need to post a vid on these threads that meets the theme requirements - season 504 has been posted and starts in about 11 hours time - this shopping season still has about 35 hours to go - the zoom meetings are a fun 'offshoot' of the seasons....

to really join the seasons you need to post a vid on these threads that meets the theme requirements - season 504 has been posted and starts in about 11 hours time - this shopping season still has about 35 hours to go - the zoom meetings are a fun 'offshoot' of the seasons....
Ah sorry my bad. I'll try! Not very good at writing songs at will...they just show up in my head

Here you go - a cover of one of my favourite Crowded House songs, "Pineapple Head". Don't ask me what the lyrics mean because I have NO idea.

Sorry about the poor audio sync everyone - I tried using a new video editor and I clearly haven't mastered it yet :(

Last edited:
nothing to apologise for - you're most welcome at the open mic zoom meets as is everybody - season songs don't have to be originals

nothing to apologise for - you're most welcome at the open mic zoom meets as is everybody - season songs don't have to be originals
I very much enjoyed the open mike zoom session and will be back for next week's - got oodles of songs to share!

Top Bottom