Price increases

Cadia

Reaction score
It was bound to happen, I guess. I'm noticing that some of my favorite ukes have recently gone up quite a bit in price. Like $100 or more for the same uke I got several months ago. It makes me kind of glad that I gave into my impulsive side and bought a couple ukes I had been wanting when they became available, like my Tiny Tenor, the AMM3, and several other ukes. We all know one of effects of the pandemic has been on the supply and costs of goods in general. I work in a large retail environment and am responsible for making daily price changes, so I can see these increases on a daily basis - with some goods more than doubling their prices overnight. While I'm so grateful that I and my family have been able to stay healthy through this last year and a half, and I realize that this is more important than any material possessions, I do wonder what's going to happen to the prices of our beloved ukes long term.

Last edited:
Ya I have been seeing the price increases too. Romero Creations, Anuenue (really the AMM3), and Rebels tenors (Mango and Spruce/Hog). The k-brands all went up last year. Kind of crazy how ukes have been going up and up over the past 10+ years. Remember buying my Kamaka HF-3 back in 2009 for $950, which was retail. I think the KTM's and the K1's were like $700ish back then.

Yep, a Kamaka I was on the waitlist for went up $300 from last year. I also have 2020 Kanile’a K-1 concert (that’s for sale in the Marketplace) and when trying to price it, I noticed that the 2021 version has gone up $130 from what I paid originally.

It’s due to the logjam in logistics. Shipping costs have skyrocketed. Manufacturers can’t get stuff from the place where it’s made to the place where it’ll sell due to low supply of shipping containers, backlogs at the ports, and not enough folks to handle the local deliveries (truck drivers and so on.)

I’d expect the problem to be particularly pronounced when ukes are made in Asia and being sold in the US and Europe.

It will all balance out eventually. But right now, it’s a challenge.

Was kicking myself for not pulling the trigger in the AMM3 that was here before. I was going to go for a new one and thought it was a mistake at first.

Was kicking myself for not pulling the trigger in the AMM3 that was here before. I was going to go for a new one and thought it was a mistake at first.
I was surprised you didn't get that, lol.

Cost increases everywhere.....recently bought a new used car.......found the window sticker in the glove compartment.........used price was higher that original sticker price.....very low miles on the vehicle so glad about that and still less cost than new........if the dealer has it on the lot......

Not in the market for a new or used uke.......thank goodness......

I remember a few years ago, all the fancy customs and high end ukes were like $1,500 bucks. Now, it seems all the fancy customs and stuff are a minimum $3,000. Hard to wrap my head around…

I don’t see the prices going back down any time soon, am I wrong?

I don't mean to sound smug but man, I am glad that my particular music doesn't require a high end uke. Harsh timbred cheap ukes actually suit me better. 'Zuleika' cost me just 25 euros.

I understand what you're saying, but there is no music that requires a high end uke. All my ukes are high end but not because of their sonic possibilities. I buy high end because I like to support small luthiers. I like having a one of a kind uke. I have some other reasons, but I bore myself; I cannot imagine what the effect would be on you.

I understand what you're saying, but there is no music that requires a high end uke. All my ukes are high end but not because of their sonic possibilities. I buy high end because I like to support small luthiers. I like having a one of a kind uke. I have some other reasons, but I bore myself; I cannot imagine what the effect would be on you.
Oh there are some I do have my eye on; I would LOVE a Snail 60T tenor, and I drool a bit over the Lava U and Enya Nova. My music though is minimalistic stuff that sounds good on a harsh timbred cheap uke. Whereas some genres of music call for a warm rich tone rather than a hollow, insectile one.

Oh yeah, the politicians will fix all these COVID and "totally unforseen" supply chain issues, and all be right with the world again. A chicken in every pot, and all that crapola.
The real shame is that instrument prices rarely ever come down when the problems get fixed and costs come down. The high prices just become the new normal and the companies enjoy the increased profits.

With inflation at a 30 year high it is no wonder that uke prices are going up.

Every time I see photos of all the ships sitting out in the ocean that can't dock and unload in CA I wonder how many ukes are out there floating around.

With inflation at a 30 year high it is no wonder that uke prices are going up.

Every time I see photos of all the ships sitting out in the ocean that can't dock and unload in CA I wonder how many ukes are out there floating around.
I’m sure sitting in those containers with the varying temps is doing wonders for the instruments, solid Wood and laminates…

Reactions: tm3
So now we need to stockpile toilet paper and ukuleles.

I have noticed the price increases, and am glad that I had my major bouts of UAS earlier, but I still am watching a couple, hoping that someone else buys them soon. :oops:

So now we need to stockpile toilet paper and ukuleles.

I have noticed the price increases, and am glad that I had my major bouts of UAS earlier, but I still am watching a couple, hoping that someone else buys them soon. :oops:

I want that on a shirt. May I quote it?

I'm having my first attacks of UAS too. The Waterman is legitimately necessary for playing outdoors. The tiny sopranissimo I have my eye on is just curiosity though.

I want that on a shirt. May I quote it?

I'm having my first attacks of UAS too. The Waterman is legitimately necessary for playing outdoors. The tiny sopranissimo I have my eye on is just curiosity though.
Outdoor Ukulele >Waterman...

Outdoor Ukulele >Waterman...

I had to google those. Oh my heart, the UV blue colors...not for the first time today I feel like a little kid again, little me would have loved to own one of those during my 'I am obsessed with everything neon blue and sparkly' phase.

Still happy with the Waterman that's on the way - as I've mentioned on here before, I like the harsh timbred cheap ukes. A high end one would be a nice luxury but not remotely necessary.

Top Bottom