Gig Bags - Going Strapless

Wiggy

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
In a fit of reckless destructive energy, I cut the shoulder straps off every gig bag I own. I never used them; they were too bulky, and as I carried the uke bags by the handle the straps always got caught on things.

I feel much better, now.

In a fit of reckless destructive energy, I cut the shoulder straps off every gig bag I own. I never used them; they were too bulky, and as I carried the uke bags by the handle the straps always got caught on things. I feel much better, now.
Understand completely, but there have been times when I had to carry three items, so using the shoulder straps with the gig bag came in handy.

Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)
•Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
•Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

In a fit of reckless destructive energy, I cut the shoulder straps off every gig bag I own. I never used them; they were too bulky, and as I carried the uke bags by the handle the straps always got caught on things.

I feel much better, now.
Good! 🤣

Oh man, I know just what you mean. So far over the years I can only think of one time I actually used the shoulder straps. But, I keep thinking I just might, someday, somehow, need them. I see all those adds depicting happy young people, traipsing along wearing their Uke bags like back packs. I want that to be me! :rolleyes:

I find straps that cannot at least be pulled tight and out of the way to be completely annoying (and esp those that can be pulled tight but have long tails flapping around). The best imo are removable. Cutting off has crossed my mind on several occasions, but I've never done it.

Last edited:
Another thought. Guitars are big and heavy. Carrying a Guitar around is definitely a chore. Gig bags for Guitars have shoulder straps, and I can see them being used all the time due to the weight and size of the instrument. Little, light weight Ukuleles don't need to copy that. A Ukulele, even a Tenor, can be carried tucked under the arm. Try that with a Guitar. I think cutting the straps off the Uke bags makes perfect sense. If you want, you can carry a strap that you can run through the carry handle of the Uke bag, and then sling that over a shoulder. Or, if you use a Uke strap for playing, I bet you could actually figure out a way to use the same strap for carrying the bag.

Every once in a while I have seen a case that has the ability to tuck the straps away under a flap which is kind of the best of both worlds. They are there if needed, but otherwise out of the way.

Straps can be handy if you want to take your uke with you to your uke jam and you happen to be riding your bicycle. Just using the handle would be down right reckless.

Little, light weight Ukuleles don't need to copy that. A Ukulele, even a Tenor, can be carried tucked under the arm. Try that with a Guitar.
Try that on a bicycle :)

Straps for me are binary: either absolutely essential or in the way and useless. I prefer dual-strap (back-pack style) and clip-on so they're there when I need them and gone otherwise.

Straps can be handy if you want to take your uke with you to your uke jam and you happen to be riding your bicycle. Just using the handle would be down right reckless.
Beat me by *that* much! :)

I prefer shoulder straps, because my hands are free, but you do you.

To me, a gig bag should definately have som kind of strap(s).
A hard case is a different thing, they might have a detachable shoulder string, but probably not. A hard case is safer for storing, easier and safer for stacking, for transporting in the trunk of a car etc.
But a light gig bag you would expect to carry around more than hard case, hence putting it on your back is a practical thing. I live in a bicycle town, and like to be able to sling it a cross my shoulder. For most smaller ukes I prefer a single shoulder strap. The look so tiny worn as a backpack, and if I need to carry a backpack at the same time, I can more easily carry both on my back that way.

But I assumed that OP really would have preferred hard cases for all the ukes, and modifies the gig bags to resemble them.

Shoulder straps are a must for me. When we do a gig, I'm carrying a case with a shoulder strap with about 30 harmonicas and accessories like tuners, capos, cords and uke stand. A mic, mic stand and cord, and a Fender Acoustasonic amp. I try to do it in one trip from the car, but I'm getting too old for that...

When going to some music sessions, I’m carrying my ukulele-bass, a small amp, a music stand, a tool-type gig bag with song lists, songbooks, and other related paraphernalia. I sling my U-bass gig bag on one shoulder, the gadget gig bag on another, and hand-carry the music stand.

I’m thinking about using a back pack for my gadgets. (To hold a music book, loose papers, or iPad, tuners, cords, maybe strings, and any extra things).

Frequently, only one of the straps is used on the instrument gig bag. If I only bring one ukulele (rarely), then I might not even use a gig bag. Or I might use a hard case. It depends on each situation. But I won’t cut the straps of my luggage, because I either drop things, or try to carry everything in one-trip.

Ah, gig bags.

I wish I were in a crowded bar somewhere strumming away on my uke.

There's a place in Leap called Connolly's Bar where I dream of someday going and playing some live music. That place has a heady air of wild exhilaration about it. I feel slightly reckless and intoxicated just walking in there to use the bathroom.

Sorry I got way over emotional there.

Top Bottom