Kiwaya YKS-10

ncourtois

Reaction score
Any japanese ukulele fan out there who could help me? I just bought a Kiwaya YKS-10 on ebay and it arrived from Japan this week. It's a beauty and it plays like magic BUT, I can't find a single info anywhere on the web about this model, like if it didn't exist! For sure it's solid top, looks like mahogany, it has a beautiful tortoise binding, but it's all I can tell. And I really do like it. I'm curious to share impressions with someone who has come across this model!

View attachment 137203

Takumi distributes (manufactures?) Kiwaya, so I would contact them. I asked them a couple of questions a year or so ago, and they were very responsive. Takumi's website

Does the sound hole sticker say it is made in Japan or made in China? Kiwaya does import many models from China that are rarely imported into the USA because they look pretty but don't sound that great (for the price).

Kiwaya has always been fast and courteous with answers for me. And in perfect English.

Reactions: jer
Thank you so much for posting this e-mail address. I had been unsuccessfully trying to find a way to contact them. Now I was able to contact them and ask what strings came on my KS-1G, as they were a bit of a mystery. For anyone curious about that, here is the response:

"Was the string on your KS-1G had a light purple colour? If so, it is our
preset string called "Famous Aranjuez Marron string".

Unfortunately, this sting is a discontinued product now, and we are
right in a middle of updating the preset strings.

Marron string is a nylon string with thin gauge and low tension. I don't
know much about the overseas strings, but I haven't heard about any
similar strings.

It is different from fluorocarbon strings. (Including Fremont) From my
experience, it was like the old Martin nylon strings. (not the current
fluorocarbon one)"

Mine were indeed the light purple.
I must say I'm happy with being able to get a courteous, informative, and timely e-mail response from them. Good customer service is hard to find these days.

Hopefully they can give the OP some info on that uke.

I'm often quite hesitant to contact Japanese or other companies based in Asia because their English isn't always the best. Really nice to know you can get a response from Kiwaya! Cheers.

The sticker doesn't say if it's made in Japan or China. I'll follow richtacoma's advice and will contact Takumi. Thanks everyone for your help.
I'll let you know if I can get something

The sticker doesn't say if it's made in Japan or China. I'll follow richtacoma's advice and will contact Takumi. Thanks everyone for your help.
I'll let you know if I can get something

I think you'd be better off using the e-mail address kaimuki provided. That's direct to Kiwaya Japan. Takumi is just a distributor.
trade_908@kiwaya.com

Any japanese ukulele fan out there who could help me? I just bought a Kiwaya YKS-10 on ebay and it arrived from Japan this week. It's a beauty and it plays like magic BUT, I can't find a single info anywhere on the web about this model, like if it didn't exist! For sure it's solid top, looks like mahogany, it has a beautiful tortoise binding, but it's all I can tell. And I really do like it. I'm curious to share impressions with someone who has come across this model!

View attachment 137203
The model "YKS-10" was a custom order from "Yamano Gakki" (Japan), based
on KIWAYA's Student model "KSU-1"

Only about 100 pcs were made.

Body : Solid Mahogany (Top), Laminate Mahogany (Side & Back)
Head plate : Rosewood
Neck : Mahogany
Fingerboard : Rosewood
Bridge : Rosewood
Nut & Saddle : Bone
Perfring : Black / White Celluloid
Binding : Tortoiseshell pattern
Strings : Worth Brown Medium

Top Bottom