Larger Sopranos

My measurements were based on Eco Series laminate instruments, the Famous FS-1, FS-5, FS-0 and Kiwaya KS-1. Of course, the depth of the thinline FS-0 is much shallower at 3.4mm and 4mm, but FS-0 length and width are the same as the others.
I’ll measure the KTS-6 and get it to you

My measurements were based on Eco Series laminate instruments, the Famous FS-1, FS-5, FS-0 and Kiwaya KS-1. Of course, the depth of the thinline FS-0 is much shallower at 3.4mm and 4mm, but FS-0 length and width are the same as the others.
Thanks! (I think Kiwaya has designed these along a Hawaiian profile).

I can add the dimensions of the Kiwaya KS-4PG/Famous FS-4PG to this:

Body length: 240mm
Body width: 163mm
Body depth: 62mm

I can add that the Ohana SK50 series has the following vital statistics:-

Body length: 240mm
Body width: 175mm
Body depth: 65/60mm
Waist: 114mm

Last edited:
Here's the Romero Creations S-M
Body Length: 268mm
Body Width: 218mm
Body depth: 81mm
Waist: 140mm
and yes, it is a soprano!

Thanks for the replies everyone!! And, sorry I didn’t get a chance for a proper reply yesterday. I had just enough time to check in and read posts but didn’t have the time to reply.
Thanks for all the suggestions, videos, and measurements. Some nice instruments for sure…. But that Romero S-M might just take the cake! Seems more like a short scale concert. I admit to liking the Koa version a bit more than the mahogany (based on the Ukulele Site’s podcast).

All I really have to compare to are my Martin sopranos (which are pretty common among Martin), and my Pono mango soprano - which is noticeably larger than the Martins. As mentioned, I also have the Ohana SK-28 (which really is a sweet instrument), though is smaller than the Martins. I’m just liking the larger body of the Pono, yet really love the soprano scale. I do have a Martin Koa concert, which sounds wonderful - just prefer the soprano scale over the concert scale. If my Martin concert had my Martin soprano neck, I’d be a happy camper :)

As far as standard sopranos (not large body designs like Romero, or long neck super soprano designs) the Kiwaya and Famous sopranos have overall larger body specs. Comparing vintage Martin sopranos to Kiwaya/Famous sopranos I've owned, I've seen the following body specs:

Body length: both about the same (Martin at 23.8cm, Kiwaya at 24cm)

Width of top bout: Kiwaya 5.7% wider (13.3cm)
Depth of top bout: Kiwaya 11.7% deeper (5.7cm)

Width of bottom bout: Kiwaya 5% wider (16.8cm)
Depth of bottom bout: Kiwaya 6.8% deeper (6.2cm)

Of the 20 or so sopranos I've measured over the years, the Kiwaya/Famous ukes usually have bigger body specs, especially the depth, which is always deeper. I think the deeper body makes the most difference, adding depth to the sound of the Kiwaya/Famous ukes. Not that they are better than vintage Martins, just that they seem to have a bigger/deeper sound, with more volume, than many similarly priced sopranos.
My KTS-6 is 5.2 cm deep at the top and 5.8 at the bottom.
The top bout is 12.7 wide, the bottom is 16.3.
Length is 23.8 cm.

I’m using a tape measure. You didn’t give the actual Martin measurements and I don’t want to do the math, but it sounds close to the Martin.

Last edited:
My KTS-6 is 5.2 cm deep at the top and 5.8 at the bottom.
The top bout is 12.7 wide, the bottom is 16.3.
Length is 23.8 cm.

I’m using a tape measure. You didn’t give the actual Martin measurements and I don’t want to do the math, but it sounds close to the Martin.
Looks like the Eco Series ukes are about 7% deeper which may be an attempt to gain some volume.

A vita uke would be the obvious choice.

I had one of these for a while - gave it away in the end.

Very loud!

Some of the old harmony models have a large body for a soprano. Usually all solid wood too. The Johnny Marvin for example are labeled on the headstock as tenors but they're actually just a large bodied soprano. I really enjoyed mine.

I am not sure what you are disagreeing with. The length of vibrating string is known as scale (i.e distance between the nut and fret 12 times 2). Those lengths are used to define the sizes, and not the volume of the body.
Yup - scale is more defining than body size, that was what I was saying.

Thanks for the replies everyone!! And, sorry I didn’t get a chance for a proper reply yesterday. I had just enough time to check in and read posts but didn’t have the time to reply.
Thanks for all the suggestions, videos, and measurements. Some nice instruments for sure…. But that Romero S-M might just take the cake! Seems more like a short scale concert. I admit to liking the Koa version a bit more than the mahogany (based on the Ukulele Site’s podcast).

All I really have to compare to are my Martin sopranos (which are pretty common among Martin), and my Pono mango soprano - which is noticeably larger than the Martins. As mentioned, I also have the Ohana SK-28 (which really is a sweet instrument), though is smaller than the Martins. I’m just liking the larger body of the Pono, yet really love the soprano scale. I do have a Martin Koa concert, which sounds wonderful - just prefer the soprano scale over the concert scale. If my Martin concert had my Martin soprano neck, I’d be a happy camper :)
You would not be disappointed with the S-M. Or the S-K.

search for Mele Jumbo Soprano Ukulele.
It looks like a Soprano-scale neck on a Concert body :)

keep uke'in',

A vita uke would be... Very loud!
The Vita-Uke does have a loud bark, but not much sustain. It is a rocker, not a crooner. Mine's a VK-70R, and after a few string change experiments for tonal balance, I'm keeping it.

If you are in the mood to get rude, this will satisfy. At times, I am :)

Attachments

• The Ohana Tree.JPG
    The Ohana Tree.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom