From satin to gloss

ro_sims

Reaction score
Hi, i have a baritone ukulele with satin finish. How can i change the finish into gloss? What do i need?

I have sanded a satin and then given it french polish. Labourious but it works.

I have been looking into shellac on spray cans. I like shellac because it can be removed/repaired/redone.

If there is enough lacquer already, it might be possible to sand it finer and finer and then polish but haven't tried it.

I have been looking into shellac on spray cans. I like shellac because it can be removed/repaired/redone.

If there is enough lacquer already, it might be possible to sand it finer and finer and then polish but haven't tried it.
ok thanks

But be aware satin finishes are sometimes achieved by adding a "flatting agent" to the finish designed to diffuse light reflection. If that's the case with this instrument, then additional polishing probably won't achieve a truly glossy finish.

But be aware satin finishes are sometimes achieved by adding a "flatting agent" to the finish designed to diffuse light reflection. If that's the case with this instrument, then additional polishing probably won't achieve a truly glossy finish.
I didn't know that but I have seen satin finishes becoming gloss after wear from an arm etc.

I can't comment on whether a particular product will work. But assuming it adheres properly and all that, you might get a better result by adding more finish on top and polishing that.
okay thanks

If you are sure that it has a lacquer finish now, you can lightly etch and clean the surface and spray on a thin coat or two of gloss lacquer. I would only buy instrument lacquer like Cardinal from LMII because it is more flexible. However if you are not experienced in lacquering you could open a can of worms chasing a perfect finish, even if you have the proper spray equipment. Gloss is more difficult to get right. Also gloss is generally harder than satin so gloss would go on first and then be topped with satin, although the gloss is not needed under satin. If you have a different finish than lacquer on it now, the lacquer thinner in the newly sprayed finish could soften and curdle the existing finish as it dries. I've been lacquering cabinets, woodwork, furniture and ukuleles for many years and still occasionally run into issues.

If you are sure that it has a lacquer finish now, you can lightly etch and clean the surface and spray on a thin coat or two of gloss lacquer. I would only buy instrument lacquer like Cardinal from LMII because it is more flexible. However if you are not experienced in lacquering you could open a can of worms chasing a perfect finish, even if you have the proper spray equipment. Gloss is more difficult to get right. Also gloss is generally harder than satin so gloss would go on first and then be topped with satin, although the gloss is not needed under satin. If you have a different finish than lacquer on it now, the lacquer thinner in the newly sprayed finish could soften and curdle the existing finish as it dries. I've been lacquering cabinets, woodwork, furniture and ukuleles for many years and still occasionally run into issues.
Thanks for the information

Top Bottom