Ahhh, Those Dodgers

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
TV has become so boring with all the reruns and multitudes of commercials and depressing news that watching it has become unbearable to me. My wife watches PBS a lot and Dodger baseball, so I’ll watch those with her and that’s all.

I find baseball on TV slow and boring, and I can’t hear or understand PBS shows even with my hearing aids, but they’re still better than regular TV.

TV has become so boring with all the reruns and multitudes of commercials and depressing news that watching it has become unbearable to me. My wife watches PBS a lot and Dodger baseball, so I’ll watch those with her and that’s all.

I find baseball on TV slow and boring, and I can’t hear or understand PBS shows even with my hearing aids, but they’re still better than regular TV.
TV has changed for many. I am now on Netflix and other cable channels. It is a new world to binge watch shows, like not being able to put a good book down. No commercials and some really good content.

My son advised me to check out "Formula One" on Netflix. It took me two weeks to watch four seasons, about 40 episodes (each for one year/season of racing beginning 2018). It was captivating for one that never had an interest in car racing. I finished Friday and lamented the one year wait for the next season. So I went online and found that at 11 pm (my time, PDT) was a live broadcast (ESPN2) of the Australian Grand Prix. It was a blast seeing it live with the series background. And no commercials!

So you could pick a whole lot of interesting shows with no commercials. It certainly beats having the Dodgers (boo...) bore the heck out of you (from a lifelong Giants fan).

Well, thanks for the info, rainbow21, but it costs money. Will it stay as good as you say it is? I’m already payin’ for the crap I’m watchin’ now.

Remember when TV was free? They said they couldn’t afford that and, if we paid a little (Ha!) more, we’d have much better TV. Well, how’d that work out?

Many long periods in my life I’ve gone without TV. It didn’t hurt a bit.

Listen on the radio! Then you can get other things done at the same time...

BTW: I learned to love Baseball on the radio while working at radio station KVEC in San Luis Obispo. It was a Dodger network station, and I had to pay at least enough attention to be able to insert the station ID's every half hour and insert the occasional local advertising. I got hooked during the year I worked there.

Then I moved up north and became a Giants fan. A great rivalry... go Giants.

So: Grab a radio, preferably one of those headset types, and go putter around in the yard or take a walk while you listen.

Or: Keep a uke on the couch and play during the commercials...

Listen on the radio! Then you can get other things done at the same time...

BTW: I learned to love Baseball on the radio while working at radio station KVEC in San Luis Obispo. It was a Dodger network station, and I had to pay at least enough attention to be able to insert the station ID's every half hour and insert the occasional local advertising. I got hooked during the year I worked there.

Then I moved up north and became a Giants fan. A great rivalry... go Giants.

So: Grab a radio, preferably one of those headset types, and go putter around in the yard or take a walk while you listen.

Or: Keep a uke on the couch and play during the commercials...
Baseball is made for radio! Go back to the days of yore when a small transistor radio (with a nine volt battery) would sit in the shirt pocket with (maybe) a small earphone cord running up to the ear.

The radio is where so many commentators learned to talk to keep you entertained. And then you could pay attention when they raised their voices in excitement. Made for radio and boring on TV.

Baseball is still my favorite sport, and on TV it's made for doing two things at once. We turn down the sound to just noticeable and read or work with our laptop, and when the announcer/fans gets a little louder because of something happening, we look up and know we'll get to see the play a couple of times more.

My wife and I are always saying to each other "What did he/she say?" on PBS. There seems to be a mushy sound to many of the British shows we watch on PBS - or maybe it's just that the people on those shows don't speak English 😁

Baseball is still my favorite sport, and on TV it's made for doing two things at once. We turn down the sound to just noticeable and read or work with our laptop, and when the announcer/fans gets a little louder because of something happening, we look up and know we'll get to see the play a couple of times more.

My wife and I are always saying to each other "What did he/she say?" on PBS. There seems to be a mushy sound to many of the British shows we watch on PBS - or maybe it's just that the people on those shows don't speak English 😁
Yeah, Ed, I simply couldn’t agree more. Football, now, has too many rules and penalties, and I just can’t get into Soccer. It goes and goes all the time, but nothin’ ever happens. We do what you do. One doesn’t really have to pay attention, but he/she doesn’t really miss anything.

I also agree about British programs. I wear hearing aids ( sometimes), but, even with them in, I can’t understand what the heck they’re saying. They MUMBLE! My wife interprets for me, but even she misses stuff.

Ahhh those Dodgers.... are wiping out my Twins! :(

They’re gonna wipe out lotsa others — like last year and the year before.
Well, they don't quite have an all star at every position yet, so maybe they should spend another few hundred million to up their chances.

Reactions: TCK
I’m a life long Dodger fan. My dad took me to games at the Coliseum when Dodger Stadium was being built. They have a great team this year so here’s hoping they keep it going all the way!! ⚾

I put on the subtitles for the British programs because much of time I can’t understand their accents! 🧐

Top Bottom