Concert Uke Strings

John Barret

Reaction score
Just got 1st concert size, sounds a lot higher than my Soprano. Have tuned it down 1 step, still sounds high. What strings recommended for a deeper, fuller tone, in a reasonable price range.

Worth's are double length, 2 sets
Higher like higher pitch? Or "brightness"?
Higher pitch, I like a deeper tone on stringed instruments, i get the uke is a higher sound.
I'm new to Uke so dont know about the strings, I'm usually playing guitar, bass & occasionally Mandolin.
I want to play the Concert size a step down & the Soprano regular tuning,
so any help is greatly appreciated.

Maybe tune it with a low G (you would need to get a low G string). That may give you the deeper sound you are looking for.

I'm using the Worth brown Extra and tune them down 1 full step. Tone and tension are nice.

Oasis warms, same idea, also double length

Depending on the instrument, a concert may sound brighter than a soprano. Mahogany has a warm sound. Spruce is much brighter. Also, laminate ukes can have great variety in their depth or brightness depending on materials, build, etc. Strings can compensate somewhat, but maybe not entirely.

Nope, purely subjective. Some like em, some not. They have a much different feel than flouros: thicker and more tactile. Flouros feel smoother to me, just comes down to personal preference. Try both!
Aquila Nylgut 76cm good try for my Concert?

The Soprano i found in a charity shop for £3, i couldn't believe my luck.
When i first clocked it i thought would be a toy, but was a nice little Uke, great sound i haven't changed the strings that were on it.
Any suggestions for nice Soprano sets
Preferably not in the expensive price range, i already pay out enough stringing my other instruments.

If you tuned the soprano and concert to the same tuning (GCEA), then objectively speaking neither would sound higher than the other. They should sound like the same pitch. Perhaps one of the ukuleles is brighter sounding in character? This is entirely possible depending on how the respective instruments are built and what strings are installed.

I typically stick to D'addario nylon Pro-Arte ukulele strings if I want to sound mellow.

...I like a deeper tone on stringed instruments,... usually playing guitar, bass & occasionally Mandolin.
I want to play the Concert size..
A concert scale uke can also sound very good when strung for, and tuned as, dGBE. It would be just like guitar strings #1-4, but with a re-entry #4.
From playing guitar, you already know those note names and chord shapes. IOW, the same as a baritone uke.

<edit> I'm using a D'addario .030w for low G on a Ohana CK-70W in dGBE.
Here's a starting point for tonal balance:
1 Super Nylgut #2 (.031) for E
2 Unknown Aquila (.0375) for B (white nylon)
3 D'addario (.030w) for G (If the wound G is overpowering, try a Fremont Black Line Low G.)
4 Super Nylgut #3 (.038) for d

Last edited:
Top Bottom