TUS/HMS Communication Issue Resolved by Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can understand why you would feel ignored and overlooked. The best thing would have been to call and ask. I've always found that this is the best way to deal with them if i need a more immediate response. I can imagine them being inundated with entries from all over the world, and perhaps they couldn't post all of them or even.look at all.of them after a certain amount came in. Calling would gave clarified that, and not had you still sitting and wondering.

Not only are you overreacting, but this post, where you’re hoping that community peer pressure will elicit a response, is downright childish.

Worse, if they do respond, you’re gonna second guess their intent: did they really apologize or are they doing it because it’s damage control?

personally, I’d close the thread and think hard about what you really want. Then go out and find more concrete ways to get that sort of validation.
A person opens up and asks for feedback and you call them childish? Frankly, that is the furthest thing from childish, but name calling certainly is.

To the OP--I have super mixed feelings here. I get over 100 professional emails a day on my university account, and frankly, I don't feel compelled to respond to them all. It is not the core of my job, and I have a ton to do--as do the folks at TUS. Should they have gotten back to you at some point--yes, I think that would have been the respectful thing to do, but perhaps calling first prior to posting this would have also been a sign of respect? If they are reading this, I would encourage them to think about NOT having an email account and disabling the private message function on social media IF they are not going to respond. This would compel people to call. I think we all get to choose the way in which we want to be communicated with--I, for example, have text messaging on my phone disabled.

One more vote for overreacting… it is a very manual process to conduct such contests on Instagram… and to be honest it does not make any money directly for them. They just got a massive shipment of ukes and they are busy processing it also I believe it is run but Tobias from EU, so calling folks in Hawaii might not be useful. Anyhow, if you are looking for feedback or appreciation this forum is full of folks who would love to do that.
when I first opened this thread I was scared to read a bad buying experience which I am glad it is not!

I recall from old threads that I'm not the only one who has tried to interact with them to make a purchase, (by email and by phone), and found them... I'll go with the phrasing: less than professional. (That doesn't properly convey it, but I know I'd be taken to task here if I wasn't that vague, and probably will be taken to task anyway.)

We all make mistakes, we all have off days, but I've had it happen more than once, and though I still frequent their website to look at what is in stock, I don't know how I'd feel about buying from them again. (I have in the past.)

I agree with the thought that if they don't plan on answering emails or other means of communicating with them, they should disable those, and only leave the phone as a means of communication. But even with that, they need to up their game. Phone doesn't necessarily work either. Or at least didn't when I last tried, which has been a while, so I hope things have improved. I do recall that they were making an effort to do better. Perhaps COVID related hardships have set them back on that?

To the OP, I enjoyed your contest entry, so thanks for sharing it with us. While I'm sorry that it didn't get included in the contest entries, I'm glad that you can still share it with the ukulele community.

One more vote for overreacting… it is a very manual process to conduct such contests on Instagram… and to be honest it does not make any money directly for them. They just got a massive shipment of ukes and they are busy processing it also I believe it is run but Tobias from EU, so calling folks in Hawaii might not be useful. Anyhow, if you are looking for feedback or appreciation this forum is full of folks who would love to do that.
when I first opened this thread I was scared to read a bad buying experience which I am glad it is not!
Only ever had positive buying experiences from them, in fact I told someone on here to check them out a few days ago because he was looking for a Ko’olau…. I just feel very weird about interacting with them now, but that’s specific to me and very separate from what choices I would encourage others to make.

I’d take a second look at your video. The sound quality is poor, we hear more of the ambient noise than your playing.

I’d take a second look at your video. The sound quality is poor, we hear more of the ambient noise than your playing.
Yes , there is ambient noise but the uke sounds good ; which model is it ?

I live in Hawaii and can tell you "It's Hawaii braddah!". I wouldn't be offended or put off. Very common here to get to things when you can. Business or otherwise. If never no response, not personal, just maybe forgot or neva got round to it yet. Nothing more or less. Not personal, jus how things are done most of the time in the islands.

yeah, I was also bothered by the amount of ambient noise so it’s a fair observation but I personally thought the uke was still pretty audible. Even so, if that was the issue I wish they’d told me!

Yes , there is ambient noise but the uke sounds good ; which model is it ?
Thanks, I thought so too lol. It’s a Pono mahogany baritone pro classic that Andrew personally went out of his way to help me pick based on the sound I wanted. Credit where credit is due, and that’s also a big part of why I find this entire situation so bizarre.

I live in Hawaii and can tell you "It's Hawaii braddah!". I wouldn't be offended or put off. Very common here to get to things when you can. Business or otherwise. If never no response, not personal, just maybe forgot or neva got round to it yet. Nothing more or less. Not personal, jus how things are done most of the time in the islands.
This is actually an interesting insight into island culture, thank you! I would assume that it wouldn’t apply the same way if you’ve messed up and upset somebody, but I could be totally wrong and it’s not my place to judge a culture that isn’t my own. Maybe that mindset does have something to do with all this.

Last edited:
I read this whole thread-not sure why. I think it's ok to be upset. It's your right to get upset at anything you want. I've lived in Hawai'i and can tell you more things drop through the cracks there than most anywhere. When I first started playing ukulele (not my first instrument) many years ago, I bought an all laminate Kala from HMS partly due to their touted set up. After playing it for a while I thought the action was high plus the intonation was off. Sanded down the saddle and got the intonation set. Kind of shrugged - figured it was shipped in error without the set up. No big deal. Fast forward to several months ago. They had a Pono I wanted. Bought! It arrived and the set up was perfect. So...............sh!t happens. Still if your angst is how it appears, move on. There's certainly other venders to buy ukuleles and related stuff from. Just sayin'.....

Sorry this is bothering your heart so, but honestly, at this point it seems a little obsessive. You've gotten a lot of perspectives. It seems this thread has served its purpose. No regular forum users that I know of work at HMS and is going to see this. If you really feel the need to make a point, call them. Or, better yet, just move on.

Sorry this is bothering your heart so, but honestly, at this point it seems a little obsessive. You've gotten a lot of perspectives. It seems this thread has served its purpose. No regular forum users that I know of work at HMS and is going to see this. If you really feel the need to make a point, call them. Or, better yet, just move on.
I’ve definitely been in an obsessive place over it the last couple weeks, I think this thread is helping me wind that down. If no one comments further I’ll be fine, and as long as people do keep commenting I’ll read it and engage with them.

I think I’ve decided against calling, as that seems like peak obsessiveness after everything else.

I’ve definitely been in an obsessive place over it the last couple weeks, I think this thread is helping me wind that down. If no one comments further I’ll be fine, and as long as people do keep commenting I’ll read it and engage with them.
This sounds to me like a request to have the thread closed for the benefit of your mental health.

This sounds to me like a request to have the thread closed for the benefit of your mental health.
Actually, this comment was the only part of this thread that’s negatively affected my mental health. Please don’t tell me what my own comments secretly mean, especially with regard to mental health. It’s gaslighty, condescending and weirdly paternalistic.

Last edited:

I think I’ve decided against calling, as that seems like peak obsessiveness after everything else.
I'm glad that talking about it has helped you put things into perspective and process the situation. Isn't that what many of us do here on a variety of topics and issues?

I'm glad that talking about it has helped you put things into perspective and process the situation. Isn't that what many of us do here on a variety of topics and issues?
Thanks ❤️

Actually, this comment was the only part of this thread that’s negatively affected my mental health. Please don’t tell me what my own comments secretly mean, especially with regard to mental health. It’s gaslighty, condescending and weirdly paternalistic.
I sincerely apologize. I meant no disrespect. Your comment, to me, seemed to clearly say that you had been obsessing over it and that you would continue to engage as long as comments kept coming in, and that you would be fine if no more comments came in. So if it were me, I would be asking to have it closed to ensure that the comments stopped and I could be fine. It sounded like you had the same idea. I am leaving out the part where you say the thread was helping you. I assumed from the previous items that the helpful portion of the thread had passed, and that now it would just be continuing to nurse an obsession that you seemed to want to lay aside, but would feel compelled to continue as long as comments came in. I seriously meant no disrespect. It seemed clear to me but I have obviously misread. I apologize, and I wish you luck on your journey. I am in the wrong.

I sincerely apologize. I meant no disrespect. Your comment, to me, seemed to clearly say that you had been obsessing over it and that you would continue to engage as long as comments kept coming in, and that you would be fine if no more comments came in. So if it were me, I would be asking to have it closed to ensure that the comments stopped and I could be fine. It sounded like you had the same idea. I am leaving out the part where you say the thread was helping you. I assumed from the previous items that the helpful portion of the thread had passed, and that now it would just be continuing to nurse an obsession that you seemed to want to lay aside, but would feel compelled to continue as long as comments came in. I seriously meant no disrespect. It seemed clear to me but I have obviously misread. I apologize, and I wish you luck on your journey. I am in the wrong.
Apology accepted, and I’m sorry that my reaction was probably excessive. You were kind and helpful to me in a different thread about a different topic a few days ago.

And your response right now was impressive to say the least. Thank you.

If they are reading this, I would encourage them to think about NOT having an email account and disabling the private message function on social media IF they are not going to respond. This would compel people to call. I think we all get to choose the way in which we want to be communicated with--I, for example, have text messaging on my phone disabled.
I think this is a really good comment to the business. And the other poster who'd mentioned relying on social media for their business and DM type communication being overwhelming, that's really valid and worth considering. I am so sorry that you felt so overwhelmingly ignored by this business. I have been on help desk for years, and I have to add my vote for "call them" to the list. We would often get swamped with emails etc., and just not get back in a timely fashion; if it was important to that person to the point that they were not happy with the service, and they called us and we worked through their problem (including their complaint about not getting adequite response initially), those were very helpful follow ups. I get it - communicating by typing is "easier" in so many ways, but what I always told my staff, when in doubt, pick up the phone and call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom