Season 534 “Cookies”.

Here's a little original of mine using that old stock phrase"That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles"... the classic stoic's catch phrase.

Hope you like:

One Man and his uke. Nice song but must be about cookies ( ;
Oh no, there goes my plan to get through my 15 (at least) Half Man Half Biscuit songs that I want to do some time! :)

There has to be a Half Man Half Biscuit song about biscuits or cookies. None immediately come to mind so I'm off to listen to all their records now to find out...

By the way, does it actually have to be about cookies, or is a passing mention okay? Because I have another thing in mind...

The Watermelon Song - P.D.

Maggie suggested this one when I told her this week's topic. Although the watermelon is the star of this song, a chocolate chip cookie plays a mighty fine supporting role.

I learned this in Boy Scouts, but have heard childrens' entertainers do it as well, but without the campfire. I did this song last November for a "Water, Water Everywhere" Session (509) where I did a longer video explaining how we sang it in Scouts. If you're interested, here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo6FT...

Last edited:
Another blues. Curley Weaver from 1936. Has biscuits as well as pies. And features damper down baking?! on guitalele.

Reactions: joo
Oh no, there goes my plan to get through my 15 (at least) Half Man Half Biscuit songs that I want to do some time! :)

There has to be a Half Man Half Biscuit song about biscuits or cookies. None immediately come to mind so I'm off to listen to all their records now to find out...

By the way, does it actually have to be about cookies, or is a passing mention okay? Because I have another thing in mind...
Well, I guess it could just say cookie or cookies once but not talking about an endearment. Hope you don’t mind. I looked it up and there’s a whole Lotta songs about cookies. What I’m planning on doing myself and a Pastiche that I wrote many many years ago.

More jelly roll

It has piqued my curiosity for a while now what a jelly roll actually is. I imagined some exotic tray bake or succulent extic desert product. So I looked it up...imagine my disappointment to find its just American for a Swiss Roll !!!! A boring old swiss roll, unless of course soaked in sherry and forming the first base of a good old sherry trifle.

I daren't even think about how mundane Hot Tameles might turn out to be ,I'll leave them lie !!

Last edited:
Love cookies, Janet! Thanks for hosting!
I found this poem online last night, author unknown.
Played some clawhammer and sang out the words....
Then, using this public domain cartoon......

And my Cookie Jar People is out of the jar!

The poem is included in my video description.

It has piqued my curiosity for a while now what a jelly roll actually is. I imagined some exotic tray bake or succulent extic desert product. So I looked it up...imagine my disappointment to find its just American for a Swiss Roll !!!! A boring old swiss roll, unless of course soaked in sherry and forming the first base of a good old sherry trifle.

I daren't even think about how mundane Hot Tameles might turn out to be ,I'll leave them lie !!
Ah, but jelly roll, as it's used in blues lyrics, is far from boring or mudane. I'm sure you didn't miss the double entendre CeeJay.

Peg Leg Howell sang:
You know I've never been to church and I've never been to school
No I ain't never been to church and ain't never been to school

But when it comes to jelly, I'm a jelly-rollin' fool

Bessie Smith sang:
Somebody told me I made the best jelly roll In town
You must admit that I'm a jelly roll bakin' hound
Good jelly roll, jelly roll is so hard to find
We always get the other kind

Nobody in town can bake a sweet jelly roll like mine

Last edited:
I have done this song before for the seasons but this is a new recording.

I was having a little trouble finding songs about cookies to learn, so I sort of tried to write one of my own… my first attempt at an original, I guess?

Hello, Janet, and very many thanks for hosting this week. For the first time ever, I am not going to be able to take part as I have Covid, which means my voice is in tatters ... it'll give me more time to listen to everyone else, though! (And I had found a most peculiar song, too ... I'll just have to see if I can shoehorn it into another Season.)

I am guilty of not keeping up! In my defense I’ve been a busy eating cookies.… I wish!!!
No I’ve been at the doctors. Eye infection. Plus I had to go to a special clinic for Lyme disease. I will have time tomorrow to add videos to the playlist watch them and comment. Y’all have a good night now.

Hi Janet, here is one from Tom Chapin’s 1989 album, Moonboat, which we wore out when my sons were little. To be honest, I changed a word in the song to make it fit the season, but, since the song is called ‘Mothers’ Day’, I couldn’t help myself.

Mothers’ Day
Tom Chapin

Ahoy all - It's been a while. I need to find/create more time for the ukulele.
Anyway, here is a song about Gingerbread cookies from a play by the Norwegian playwriter Thorbjorn Egner.

Ahoy all - It's been a while. I need to find/create more time for the ukulele.
Anyway, here is a song about Gingerbread cookies from a play by the Norwegian playwriter Thorbjorn Egner.

Comments for your video are turned off, but I very much enjoyed listening to you.

Top Bottom