'Uke Like the Pros' courses

Erwitt

Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen that 'Uke Like the Pros' by Terry Carter is moving to an only membership model, so it will be no possible to purchase individual courses. For that reason they have launched a sale with a bunch of courses for just $47, which is a 50% discount in same cases (I'm not sure if I can paste the link).

I'm looking for a beginning course to reinforce the basics, so this may be a good opportunity. 'Master the Ukulele 1' seems the most suitable for me, any opinion on this or any other course?

Last edited:
I went with Ukulele Corner, 8 grades with 20 lessons per grade for its emphasis on fingerstyle over chords. The runner up was Uketropolis as both seem to be well laid out paths. Tons of great stuff here and on youtube also.

The only course that will work is the course that you will actually follow. I would just do a little bit of soul-searching and determine if I had the initiative and tenacity to follow through with the course. If so, then the $50 is a deal for what you'll get. If not, it will be a waste of money

I went with Ukulele Corner, 8 grades with 20 lessons per grade for its emphasis on fingerstyle over chords. The runner up was Uketropolis as both seem to be well laid out paths. Tons of great stuff here and on youtube also.
Thanks, I have read good opinions on that course, but I cannot see clearly the contents or the structure.

I'm already signed-up in Uketropolis, but I'm looking for a more generalist course because I feel I still don't master the basics.

The only course that will work is the course that you will actually follow. I would just do a little bit of soul-searching and determine if I had the initiative and tenacity to follow through with the course. If so, then the $50 is a deal for what you'll get. If not, it will be a waste of money
Yes, definitely a good piece of advice! Sometimes I feel I have a book/course acquisition syndrome, instead the more common UAS.

I'm not a fan of Uke... Pro's ( you can perform UU searches on your own and find many pro and con experiences ) so I'll only speak to your search for beginner courses. I've tried many many and found one in particular that really matches the patience I require :)

Matt Stead from the UK. He has both a YouTube channel and a teaching/resource website. His free beginner series on YouTube starts from really basic stuff and gets you to some advanced beginner and intermediate concepts ... for free. He's very patient, descriptive, deliberate, and understandable. And if you want to pursue group or one-to-one learning, for fees, there are those options.

This link is to his Beginner's Playlist that ranges from 5 to 25 minutes lessons/introductions.

On the YouTube comments he has links to his FaceBook student group, and his own website: https://www.mattsteadukulele.com

Among other things, he sells his instruction books and mid to high end ukes from his "The UkeRoom.com"

Thanks, I have read good opinions on that course, but I cannot see clearly the contents or the structure.

I'm already signed-up in Uketropolis, but I'm looking for a more generalist course because I feel I still don't master the basics.
Yes, I looked all over for his detailed curriculum and finally emailed him and he sent me screenshots of all. Here are the lessons in Grade 1. I also did something similar to what Riprock suggested and took about two months of reading/watching videos, all free stuff, to figure out my goals before selecting UC. Those with different goals will follow different paths.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220521-204428_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220521-204428_Chrome.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 29
You might want to check with your library. My library’s card lets me connect with a free version of Craig and Sarah’s course on ArtistWorks. There’s no feedback and there are less lessons (especially when you move up to intermediate or advanced), but it’s got most of the basics videos and it’s free.

I'm not a fan of Uke... Pro's ( you can perform UU searches on your own and find many pro and con experiences ) so I'll only speak to your search for beginner courses. I've tried many many and found one in particular that really matches the patience I require :)

Matt Stead from the UK. He has both a YouTube channel and a teaching/resource website. His free beginner series on YouTube starts from really basic stuff and gets you to some advanced beginner and intermediate concepts ... for free. He's very patient, descriptive, deliberate, and understandable. And if you want to pursue group or one-to-one learning, for fees, there are those options.

This link is to his Beginner's Playlist that ranges from 5 to 25 minutes lessons/introductions.

On the YouTube comments he has links to his FaceBook student group, and his own website: https://www.mattsteadukulele.com

Among other things, he sells his instruction books and mid to high end ukes from his "The UkeRoom.com"
Thanks for the recommendation. I've had a look and it seems one of the most comprehensive and well paced free courses out there! Others go too fast or aren't very structured.

Yes, I looked all over for his detailed curriculum and finally emailed him and he sent me screenshots of all. Here are the lessons in Grade 1. I also did something similar to what Riprock suggested and took about two months of reading/watching videos, all free stuff, to figure out my goals before selecting UC. Those with different goals will follow different paths.
Great, thanks for sharing! I don't understand why they don't put that info on the front.

BTW, the sale is not available anymore, it has lasted a very short time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. I've had a look and it seems one of the most comprehensive and well paced free courses out there! Others go too fast or aren't very structured.
You're welcome.
Be cautious and aware ... staring at the variety of high end/quality/drool-worthy ukes, on which he instructs, you may become affected with pre-mature UAS (ukulele acquisition syndrome) :)

Matt Stead from the UK. He has both a YouTube channel and a teaching/resource website. His free beginner series on YouTube starts from really basic stuff and gets you to some advanced beginner and intermediate concepts ... for free.
I bought two ULTP courses when I first started not long ago. I've worked in video production at a couple of jobs asking the way going back from the late 70s to last year of and on, and Terry's production values really are way ahead of just about everyone else ...but I am afraid that I didn't care for the lessons at all. AT ALL. I really tried to get my money's worth, but every time I tried again, it just made me more certain that I needed to go another way. Everybody's looking for something different, and obviously Terry's approach works for some people. Mileage varies, etc

There are quite a few YT folks I follow, and a few I support on Patreon, but I hadn't come across Matt Stead before you mentioned him, @WebParrot (s2). You mentioned his beginner stuff since that's what OP is looking for, but I've been looking for the next steps myself, and boy, does Matt have it in spades! After the 31 beginner videos are 24 Next Step vids, 26 Intermediate, 21 on jazz standards chord melody style, and 31 more on music theory.... and that nowhere near all. Most of these are 15-20 minutes each. Some are longer (48 minutes on strumming like Jake), so there's acres is stuff for beginners AND folks like me looking for what's next.

I just started watching them today, and I'm very, very impressed! Thanks so much for telling us about him! I'm definitely going to be digging in here!

I bought two ULTP courses when I first started not long ago. I've worked in video production at a couple of jobs asking the way going back from the late 70s to last year of and on, and Terry's production values really are way ahead of just about everyone else ...but I am afraid that I didn't care for the lessons at all. AT ALL. I really tried to get my money's worth, but every time I tried again, it just made me more certain that I needed to go another way. Everybody's looking for something different, and obviously Terry's approach works for some people. Mileage varies, etc

There are quite a few YT folks I follow, and a few I support on Patreon, but I hadn't come across Matt Stead before you mentioned him, @WebParrot (s2). You mentioned his beginner stuff since that's what OP is looking for, but I've been looking for the next steps myself, and boy, does Matt have it in spades! After the 31 beginner videos are 24 Next Step vids, 26 Intermediate, 21 on jazz standards chord melody style, and 31 more on music theory.... and that nowhere near all. Most of these are 15-20 minutes each. Some are longer (48 minutes on strumming like Jake), so there's acres is stuff for beginners AND folks like me looking for what's next.

I just started watching them today, and I'm very, very impressed! Thanks so much for telling us about him! I'm definitely going to be digging in here!
Thanks for your sharing your experience!

Yes, I'm also impressed with Matt Stead's videos, even though I've watched just the first few videos. I think he deserves more credit than he actually has!

If you subscribe to Kindle Unlimited with your Amazon Prime Membership, several of the ULTP books are available to check out and peruse. (You can check out up to 15 books to read as long as you want. Like a library, you return them when you're done.)
My understanding is that some are textbook companions for his courses. So it's a good way to see what his course content is like.
These are some that are available::
Master the Ukulele 1 & 2; Ukulele Practice And Technique Bootcamp; Ukulele Soloing Secrets Book For Beginners; Ukulele Fingerstyle Mastery; Beginning Ukulele Fingerstyle Songbook; Ukulele Beginning Music Reading;

Thank you so much for this information. I just checked out a couple of his videos and I'm really impressed with his teaching. So thorough and patient in his style. A great resource to add to my collection. Thank you again.

Hi,

I have seen that 'Uke Like the Pros' by Terry Carter is moving to an only membership model, so it will be no possible to purchase individual courses. For that reason they have launched a sale with a bunch of courses for just $47, which is a 50% discount in same cases (I'm not sure if I can paste the link).

I'm looking for a beginning course to reinforce the basics, so this may be a good opportunity. 'Master the Ukulele 1' seems the most suitable for me, any opinion on this or any other course?
My recommendation for a beginner course would instead be uketropolis. It is taught by James Hill. The first course is $1. Booster uke is like $50. You can skip both of those if you’d like. The Ukulele Way (for my money, the reason you go to uketropolis) is only $9 a month.

My recommendation for a beginner course would instead be uketropolis. It is taught by James Hill. The first course is $1. Booster uke is like $50. You can skip both of those if you’d like. The Ukulele Way (for my money, the reason you go to uketropolis) is only $9 a month.
I did The Ukulele Way for a few months. I found it helpful and reasonably priced for what it is.

From experience, I recommend this course:
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Ukulele-Course-taught-Ralph/dp/B0006HHIDY

It's taught by somebody who performs for a living, so you know (at least) he can play. After watching the DVD, I believe he can teach as well. IMHO, this DVD course is a bit more advanced than a total-beginner course; it works much better for somebody with a few months' experience with the uke (but maybe that's just because I'm a slower learner when it comes to music).

Frankly, I'm surprised at its low Amazon rating; it's really an excellent ukulele course that covers many areas of uke playing. It does focus on live performances (which I like; for example, it teaches turn-a-round, which is useful when performing). Maybe that's why it's got a low rating? IDK. The guy's pretty funny in the video and has good material.

From experience, I recommend this course:
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Ukulele-Course-taught-Ralph/dp/B0006HHIDY

It's taught by somebody who performs for a living, so you know (at least) he can play. After watching the DVD, I believe he can teach as well. IMHO, this DVD course is a bit more advanced than a total-beginner course; it works much better for somebody with a few months' experience with the uke (but maybe that's just because I'm a slower learner when it comes to music).

Frankly, I'm surprised at its low Amazon rating; it's really an excellent ukulele course that covers many areas of uke playing. It does focus on live performances (which I like; for example, it teaches turn-a-round, which is useful when performing). Maybe that's why it's got a low rating? IDK. The guy's pretty funny in the video and has good material.
Ralph Shaw is a terrific player and a decent teacher. His newsletters (https://ralphshaw.ca/newsletter/) are also excellent and often revered on this site. I can't comment on the DVD course but he has a few free YouTube tutorials that are worth a look. I like his style a lot, fantastic guy and always cheers me up.

Top Bottom