Season 540- PUNKS NOT DEAD

TCK

Reaction score
First, an introduction to a very special place in Petaluma, The Phoenix Theater. Kind of a cool all ages club now, it has been around since the early 1900’s, and at least during my lifetime the Sonoma County venue for Punk Rock shows.

When we were “kids” (some thirty years ago in college), I spent many a weekend at the Phoenix, often with my girlfriend on my arm (that would be Mel), seeing shows that were loud and fast and full of kids. I personally have broken more bones here than anywhere (which says a lot for a guy who skateboarded into his mid-forties). As we were both fledging and moving into our careers, the theater was bought and converted to a non-profit that serves as “everyone’s building”. Open from 3-7 daily for “unstructured use”, they offer music lessons, tutorials, a place to skateboard (free of harassment), a teen health clinic, a place to hang out and even take a safe nap if you want.

Honestly, I hadn’t given it much thought in recent years. I don't make too many punk shows anymore (old) and tend to go to the Mystic to see things like Gillian Welch nowadays…but then a friend who works at a restaurant we go to often started talking about his band playing there. He is a kid, and was really excited about the show- we did not make it (it started at 9pm!) but when I asked him how it went, the first thing he said was “the sound man was 12!”
This only happens in a community that embraces DIY, and while this aging punk is too old to run around in circles slamming into strangers…that sense of community and idea that anyone can contribute is still a core value of mine…which leads us to this week's challenge.

Punk is terribly hard to define, but I read somewhere while trying to do so “Punk is technically accessible and DIY”, and that is a great description of the Ukulele as well. It need not be odd looking or anti-social. It just needs to be simple, reflective, and without pretense. Easy enough right?

So- for this week, I would like punk songs. They can be covers of course, of any band that is called officially “Punk” or any band that is punk related (if someone plays “Have Love, Will Travel by the Sonics…I will just die! Garage rock is fair game). That is a lot of songs! Want to play a song by someone who was considered early punk and then went down a different road? Knock yourself out (there’s your Blondie, Pretenders, Elvis Costello and Talking Heads catalogs). Wanna play the Cramps or others like them who did not quite meet the classic definition…done. Do you have to play a song in “Punk” style? Nope. If you hear “Anarchy in the UK” as a ballad, go for it. Want to write an original punk song, I can’t wait to hear it. Folk Punk, Celt-Punk, Ska-Punk, Pop-Punk? Do it. Just let's not play the same Green Day song over and over, deal?
As a special bonus…if punk is so outside your wheelhouse that you cannot find a song to do, play us something that really pissed your parents off. Everyone has one of those.

TLDR- PLAY PUNK ROCK SONGS!

Normal rules apply:
Season runs from June 19th - June 24th
Please let us hear a uke in your recordings, and a zither. I would like a zither in there somewhere.
Collaborations are great- especially with dogs
Original works are most appreciated
There is no song limit- never will be when I am the host. Get CRAZY!

Every song sends a dollar to the Phoenix Theater Foundation…hand delivered. Have fun folks!

playlist

Last edited:
I think I might be able to find something that fits the bill. ;-)

Reactions: TCK
As a guy who didn’t get into punk until we’ll into my 40s (in large part thanks to our esteemed host), I hope to get a song in this week. It’s been a while. Of course it will need to be done before 9pm. Ok, off for a safe nap.
If you are only playing one you best be in costume!

Joko might have more to add about this, but there's a thriving punk scene in both Indonesia and Myanmar (Burma), based around the uke. Cheap (relatively!!) and portable, it is, after all, the perfect instrument for a DIY ethos. Time Magazine: "Jakarta: Punk's Last Refuge" "Punk In Burma: Cultural Appropriation & Resistance" "The Punks of Myanmar"
thediplomat_2014-05-12_01-32-51.jpg

Children of Burmese punks attending a punk rock concert, parallel to the official start of the New Year Water Festival ("Thingyan") April 2014

Some Indoneisan punk for ya:

Download

Last edited:
One from The Adverts, one of the first punk records i remember really liking, actually it was the b side i really liked, 'bored teenagers'
I could've done with a backing singer for the chorus - this is a bit of a tongue-twister, especially while i'm a bit short of breath because of my cold ...
It contains the memorable lyrics:
"Gary don't need his eyes to see,
Gary and his eyes have parted company."

The Misfits are cult rock & roll
Worshipped by a few but ignored on the whole
Meet the Feebles is a film cult classic
It's basically unknown but some say it's fantastic
Most women that I meet seem totally unphased
Til sometimes there somebody who seems totally amazed
I might not be in magazines as a heart throb face
But in a few devoted hearts I've found a strong fan base
I'm a cult boyfriend, not a mainstream show
I'm lonely or I'm worshiped by a lady in the know
When you're a cult boyfriend life's always intense
They love me or they hate me no one's on the fence
Cerebus is cult comic book series
It's got fans but it's never found in movies or in theories
WFMU is a cult radio station
Always tuned to by a few devoted fans around the nation
For every time I couldn't get a second date or even first
Why does one think I'm the best when all the rest think I'm the worst
All of those times no one at all wanted to know
If I'm really all that awesome wouldn't more people think so
I guess Cult Boyfriend is the term for me
It's always been quality over quantity
A cult boyfriend's like a record in a bargain bin
No one knows what it's worth 'til a collector comes in
Hm, who are some cult literary figures I could honor
Maybe J. G. Ballard or Flannery O'Connor
Haggis and Fugu, that's like food for cult eaters
Jim Jones, Charles Manson, Fater Yed, they're cult leaders
Anyways the point being, do I have to magical?
Can't we date a few months and then move on normal and casual
Suicidally alone and the totally smothered
It's so much pressure when you go from one extreme to the other
I guess Cult Boyfriend is the term for me
It's always been quality over quantity
A cult boyfriend's like a record in a bargain bin
No one knows what it's worth 'til a collector comes in
I'm a cult boyfriend, not a mainstream show
I'm lonely or I'm worshiped by a lady in the know
When you're a cult boyfriend life's always intense
They love me or they hate me no one's on the fence
And this song ain't probably gonna go far past an open mic
I guaranteed though two or three people are really gonna like it.

Last edited:
i've never been one for the pigeon holing of music - there's just music i relate to and enjoy and there's music i don't - but it's still music - after your picture i did go and listen to joe strummer whose stuff i really enjoy - this diy paoriginal owes a very little to a riff on one of his songs i had a listen to
written for 540

Last edited:
I have often proposed my theory that the ukulele was invented by a time traveler who had visited 1977 and seen the Ramones & Buzzcocks. It's from the latter that I have chosen my humble submission. Most of their hits were written by the late great Pete Shelley, but this one came from Steve Diggle. I have slowed it down somewhat.

P.S. I am off to Glastonbury this week, and will probably be at the Avalon Stage, 11pm, Friday, for The Damned...

Hello, Dave ... thanks for hosting! I have to admit that Punk somehow passed me by; I think I was attempting to be a grown up at the time. However, it didn't take long for me to call this to mind; the favourite song of the late, great British DJ, John Peel ... (And, whoops, me too ... no zither!!!)

It is hard to define punk isn't it? Maybe it's just three chords and the truth. Or maybe it's anti-establishment lyrics. Well, you know what'd rock British society to its core? That's right, pouring the tea *then* adding the milk. And not saying thank you. Yeah, take that, establishment!

I don't think I know how to do punk, but it turns out you can make quite a racket with two ukes, an effect or two, and C, F and G. No zither, alas. Anyway, here's a song about how I'm going to take down society as we know it. Fear me.

By the way, I'm not going to get involved in any arguments about how to make tea :).

"Careful" by Television, for concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of electric bass, voice, and tenor ukulele. Thanks for hosting Dave-O!

Legend has it that this was the first song played by the first band to play at the first show at the first punk club.

I was not a punk, as I had very eclectic musical tastes which precluded tribalism, but I really liked punk music, and am proud to say I was the only fan of this band (indeed was mocked for it) in my High School in the '70s. Nowadays, theyr'e classified as "proto-punk", or even "post-punk" (you really know you were ahead of your time when you are designated "post"-something that didn't even exist at the time).

Check out my "Uke-lear Destruction" record for more early punk classics

also, since Punk is the subject, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this EXCELLENT documentary on the Baldies, a group of anti-racist skinheads from Minneapolis. Dave and Paul I imagine you'll be feeling some nostalgia (as did I) as you watch this uplifting tale of our punk brethren.

The best part of hosting one of these things is trying to stay up until it is Sunday in Hawaii and failing…only to wake up the next day and see that the songs are coming in- thank you all for these early submissions! Still drinking coffee and wondering what insect has bitten me and cause this swelling in my hand, but will be listening to these shortly.
Keep ‘em coming gang!
Boy are these little Indonesian kids adorable :)

Hey, Dave!

If anything was going to drag me out from under my miserable little rock that I'd been hiding under then this was it!
I'm the wrong side of 50 now, my musical tastes (and waistband) have broadened hugely since my teenage years but I'm still the same grubby little punker at heart and I think I always will be.
We couldn't have a punk rock week without some Ramones, could we? So here you go...

ONETWOTHREEFOUR!

Oh man- what a great morning! Thanks gang!!!!

Charley B- So glad the Adverts got here first! Great rendition...funny, as a kid I never realized how dark this one is (probably because I had no idea who Gary Gilmore was). Thanks for kicking things off with such a great selection

Wee- Wow- what a song! Brilliant lyrics sent me after the original, but of course and as always, I loved your take on it more. Thanks for sharing this one!

Pa- Just perfect! I find that the older I get the more I listen to and enjoy things my younger self would have a fit about, and yep, it's all just music. This is a great little tune, and that Uke riff is perfect Pa. Thank you so much for writing and playing this one for us.

Steve- Well what can I say here? You NAILED that. Excellent rendition of a great old song. Super jealous you are seeing them...they are touring with Blondie over here but none of the shows are near enough to make it happen. Have a great time and thanks for this one mate. Just perfect.

Val- I am going to play this one twice (Peel always did that. Said it was the best song ever made). This HAD to be here, especially with the Netflix show "Derry Girls" featuring it so prominently (Here in the US the show is so popular I hear co-workers humming the song without knowing what it is...kind like Running Up That Hill of late as well). In any event, prefect bring, excellent rendition and thank you!

Jtsteam- LONG LIVE THE REVOLUTION! That is the funniest intro to a performance I have ever read, and when you say you don't think you know how to do punk? Even funnier. This is fantastic. Perfect embodiment of all that punk rock is. Thanks for writing and playing this for us, the laugh it brought me...and the catharsis I am feeling in leaving the seat up in the loo.

Brian- I love this song! Thanks for taking us right back to the early days of CBGB with this perfectly executed and arranged cover here. I am going to get another cup of coffee nd play along if you don't mind. Great bring! As an aside, great album, currently my getting dressed soundtrack (we are in zero hurry today) and cool documentary recommendation. I would have gotten on with those folks very well as a kid.

Bob- RAMONES!!!! No sir, this week cannot happen without these guys, my all time favorite band. Such a great cover here- really did a great job with the strumming...my faster strum attempts always fall off the rails (awe jeez...and your doing it on an eight string). Love this- has me smiling so hard it hurts. Well, that and the waistline comment, same boat. Think I am going to step out and see if I can still ride my skateboard....

Last edited:
Apparently I'm in the mood for making a racket today. Sorry neighbours. Anyway, a couple of days ago I treated my 8 string baritone to a long overdue new set of strings. It was very boring and I'm proud of myself for finally bothering. There were so many dents in the old strings... anyone would think I like this uke.

It's been a couple of days, and now it can finally stay in tune throughout a whole song, so I decided to celebrate with a bit of Celtic punk by Flogging Molly. This is Drunken Lullabies, which - if I can grossly oversimplify - asks whether we'll ever learn:

Apparently I'm in the mood for making a racket today. Sorry neighbours. Anyway, a couple of days ago I treated my 8 string baritone to a long overdue new set of strings. It was very boring and I'm proud of myself for finally bothering. There were so many dents in the old strings... anyone would think I like this uke.

It's been a couple of days, and now it can finally stay in tune throughout a whole song, so I decided to celebrate with a bit of Celtic punk by Flogging Molly. This is Drunken Lullabies, which - if I can grossly oversimplify - asks whether we'll ever learn:

SOD THE NEIGHBORS!!!!

Top Bottom