Who's not played a Kamaka soprano?

Yes, I agree, that's one of the basic truths in the ukulele world.

I agree so much so I bought a Kamaka pineapple a few years back.

Last edited:
If you've not played a Kamaka soprano and you are a soprano player. You should check it out.
Old, or newer?

My 1st uke 14 years ago was an inherited 50s/60s gold label Kamaka soprano (in my avatar). It seemed a bit of a primitive build, with hand tooling marks in various places. I've heard they made lots of these, with many being sold to visiting tourists, like my world traveling Aunt, who gifted it to me much later, me being the only musical one in the family. As I remember, it sounded good, but not great, but I was a total noob, so what did I know? Later sold it to a local guy and UU'er.

The newer ones look great, much more refined, and I expect they play/sound better too....is that right?

Last edited:
Reactions: EDW
I haven't played a Kamaka soprano yet. If I run into one, I'll be sure to try it out, but I don't dream of owning one.

I don't want to be a party pooper but I did play a Kamaka soprano, about ten years or twelve years ago. It was on offer at a very good price. The seller let me take it away, on approval, to see if I bonded with it. I didn't. I had it for a few days then returned it.

I now own a beautiful KoAloha which cost nearly twice as much (second hand) as that Kamaka. The KoAloha is my favourite ukulele.

Just received a white label with very flamed Koa top in very nice shape. Nice crisp clean sound but I’m underwhelmed. (and will probably be selling it). Then again like someone above, I have a couple KoAloha soprano (pineapple and standard) that I’m comparing to. But I gotta say, as much as I love my KoAloha sopranos, my UkeSA WOW (made by Pops KoAloha) blows by them like a classic Martin and a Makala! Fuller, louder, and when you want to dig into it, it keeps producing! I can lead a Uke Jam with and still stand out. I like it so much that I’m having Pop’s build me the same uke in tenor. Can’t wait!

Ya, know. I’m not sure if I have. I think I very briefly strummed and definitely listened to a friend of mine strum their cracked vintage Kamaka pineapple once. It sounded great, even with the crack. I’d kinda like to get find a 90s Kamaka soprano one day. The ones that they made right before they switched over to the current version they make which I think was in the very early 2000s. Gryphon Strings had a beautiful 90’s Kamaka for like $550 once that I kinda regret not buying.

If you've not played a Kamaka soprano and you are a soprano player. You should check it out.
I once tried one out in a small guitar store. Has a lot of vintage guitars but a handful of mainstream ukes and among them one Kamaka soprano. Didn’t sound great but strings were really worn and had very little tension to them. Action was too high. I believe it Would have needed work. I offered a what I thought was a reasonable price but he wanted a sack of money so I walked away. Of course not every uke from a company has that magical sound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom