SOTU 553 International Day Calendar

For National One Hit Wonder Day, here's "Something in the Air" by Thunderclap Newman, for concert ukulele with singing, overdubs of electric bass and secondary vocal. thanks for hosting, Sabine!

(had to repost)

(UK radio personality)Danny Baker pointed out a few years back that ITLAP Day should in fairness really be entitled "International Talk Like Robert Newton Day" as it's his OTT performance as Long John Silver in Disney's 1950 production of Treasure Island that everyone imitates when they talk "like a pirate."
IRL, Newton, who was privately educated, spoke using RP. He had quite the life (Robert Newton, an appreciation).
(I've been been travelling, btw: Budapest, Bratislava and Vienna).
I think that Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow has broken the mould a little, even if I did let my Newton ooo arrr shine through LOL. (I can't do Keef)

Since Steve beat me to Restless Legs, here's a song I've been trying to shoehorn into a theme for a while now. It's for World Dream Day. As it says, "every precious dream and vision underneath the stars". Apparently (I say because I'm not clever enough to work this out for myself...) it's about seeing the big picture and trying to achieve lofty goals, but achieving them too soon. I'd say that definitely fits the dream part of the theme anyway!

On tenor ukulele, and I overdubbed some baritone for a bit of depth.

Pirates were on the menu again today, as Alan decided on High Barbaree. Andy pulled the wool over our eyes with a great George Harrison song, but you'll have to look for yourselves. Steve was quicker than Edwin and Bob to sprint to Half Man Half Biscuit's Restless Legs. Rob went car free and left his car with the parking lot attendant, Brian went for a One Hit Wonder Day entry. Edwin missed out on the Restless Legs, and saw his moment to bring a song I've always had a soft spot for, with a moon and dream and vision, and therefore fitting World Dream Day!

Actually, I don't mind different takes on the same song. If anyone wants to bring Restless Legs, then go for it!

Thanks for all the music today!

This is for World Water Monitoring Day. A good chunk of my job involves reviewing drinking water monitoring results. In my state, if a water supply has a history of not detecting certain chemicals and doesn't have dangerous sources of those chemicals nearby, it can get a "monitoring waiver" that will allow it to sample less often for those chemicals. I wrote this parody of Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" as an in-joke for my co-workers over a decade ago. A former co-worker provided a couple of lines in the chorus, I forget which ones.

Edit: As I write this, the thumbnail for this video isn't showing, but I do have it set on "Public", and when I click on it, the video plays.

Last edited:
Since Steve beat me to Restless Legs, here's a song I've been trying to shoehorn into a theme for a while now. It's for World Dream Day. As it says, "every precious dream and vision underneath the stars". Apparently (I say because I'm not clever enough to work this out for myself...) it's about seeing the big picture and trying to achieve lofty goals, but achieving them too soon. I'd say that definitely fits the dream part of the theme anyway!

On tenor ukulele, and I overdubbed some baritone for a bit of depth.

If you need another Restless Leg song, there's always Robert Klein's "I Can't Stop My Leg".

Robert Klein - I Can't Stop My Leg

For yesterday's International Talk Like a Pirate Day, here's a little Gilbert and Sullivan from "The Pirates of Penzance". Ila and Charldene may know this as "Oh, Better Far to Live and Die".

Last edited:
Car free day... let the brunette do the driving and the blonde change the flat tyre... thats equality after all.

When I read this poem by Charles Bukowski it somehow grabbed me as being a schoolboy fantasy. Bukowski after all was a down and out most of his life and the idea of driving a fast sports car in Italy with a couple of beautiful women is just an enormous escape from reality. A leap away from the seedy bars and the crushing hangovers that seemed to pervade Bukowski's existance

Yet what he really is saying is that he would like to be successful. He would like if people paid attention to him. He would like to have the words to make people laugh. He would like to eat well and have his photo taken with that soft focus that blurs the acne on his face, but gives him that rugged look he has so long cultivated.

He does not want to ride off into the sunset alone. He longs for good company. How very human.

Hello, Sabine ... thanks for hosting! You will be amazed to know that tomorrow is "National Leg Wear Day." My legs normally wear jeans unless there are exceptional circumstances, but this song refers to very posh "striped pants." I went a bit bonkers, with the addition of the MOTU soprano uke, a very "unheavenly" chorus, claves and a shaker. Herewith ...

Dear Diary,
My UU friends have not let me down, and I'd like to thank them for their great contributions, and for listening and showing their appreciation for the other participants. Five seasonistas found time to record a video and post it to the Seasons thread. Jim even found time to bring two, one of which an original. Rob selected another Bukowski poem. Mark was back too, this time with a superb instrumental version of one of the most important and iconic songs if we're talking about 'peace'. Val brought her lovely version of an Irving Berlin song, and who could dislike his tunes? Last but not least, Chris reminded us how great keeping a diary is, because tomorrow is Dear Diary Day. I haven't kept a diary for decades, but I've started making lists, logs and other things to help me remember what I'm supposed to be doing. And yes, pencil on paper works best for me for short term notes, getting a bit of that handwriting in. Google Keep works for info I plan to keep and refer back to in the longer run.

Apparently, this was somewhat of an anthem in its time and remains so to this day. Unbeknownst to me, at least until this week. The melody is so reminiscent it feels like I've heard it a million times before without realizing I was hearing it.

Apparently, this was somewhat of an anthem in its time and remains so to this day. Unbeknownst to me, at least until this week. The melody is so reminiscent it feels like I've heard it a million times before without realizing I was hearing it.

I wanted to post a photo I took of Ed McCurdy, the composer of the song, at Cobourg, Ontario's Waterfront Festival, in the nineties, possibly singing Last Night I Had The Strangest Dream, but I can't seem to find it. Ed became a Canadian citizen the same year he played in Cobourg and lived his remaining years in Nova Scotia. He died in 2000.
Super choice Joko!

Herbivores fall into two basic categories: grazers (like sheep); or browsers (like goats). White (wide-mouthed) rhinos are grazers. Black rhinos are browsers. It's International Rhino Day, folks!

Well there are many theories why socks go missing and each country may have their own ideas. No one can deny that it is an observable phenomenon and I think there needs to be a double blind scientific investigation into why an how socks disappear.

Thanks again for doing this season Sabine.

The Dutchman - Michael Smith
Yesterday was World’s Alzheimer’s Day.
A few decades ago, Maggie and I spoke to Michael about where he got the inspiration for his songs. He said that his sister Margaret had been going out with a Dutchman, when they were both younger. If I recall correctly, he said that they had a neighbour who was in the early stages of Alzheimer's and these two circumstances were extrapolated to form the song.

Top Bottom