Scammer alert - chris24global

greenie44

Big King Velour
UU VIP
Reaction score
Sorry to say this, but it looks like I have been scammed by someone through the Marketplace. The user with the name chris24global arranged to sell me a Kala baritone, and I sent him money through Zelle. Because I was traveling at the time, I asked him to wait to send it to me until I returned home. Once I got home, I contacted him about sending it, and he said he would, although he could not do it until later in the week.

The next week on Monday he texted me that he was taking it to the shipper that night. Since then - nothing. He has totally disappeared.

I'm somewhat to blame for not getting more information from him (I only have his phone number), and I am working with my bank to get the fraud corrected, but options are fairly limited with Zelle.

So beware, my fellow forum members. Of this guy, and of anyone who you do not get full information from in advance. I guess you should always approach these anonymous transactions with the possibility that you will get scammed. I didn't and paid the price.

Really sorry this happened to you greenie44. I hope that you can get some resolve. Thanks for alerting us. What's unusual is that he's been a member here for 9 years.

Really sorry this happened to you greenie44. I hope that you can get some resolve. Thanks for alerting us. What's unusual is that he's been a member here for 9 years.
Condolences.
A recent scammer on UU apparently hacked the profile of a user who last posted 9 years ago. It was a real but inactive account. This could be like that.

Am I the only one who thinks this smells fishy?

Recap: 9 year UU member sells inexpensive ukulele... doesn't sound nefarious at prima fascia...

Did they ship it media mail to save money? Maybe... that can take weeks...

Usually when this happens, it's someone who joined 9 days ago... not 9 years.

Sounds to me like someone who is flakey and slow... I'd send a PM through UU, gently hinting the public shaming that is already happening, and give them another week.

This is... like... a $150 dollar uke, right? Hardly worth the trouble of a rip off...

Condolences.
A recent scammer on UU apparently hacked the profile of a user who last posted 9 years ago. It was a real but inactive account. This could be like that.
I think this could prove a reason to be given the option to delete an account. I’ve seen a post or two recently about a person wanting to delete their account, but not having the option to do so.

I think this could prove a reason to be given the option to delete an account. I’ve seen a post or two recently about a person wanting to delete their account, but not having the option to do so.
Really has nothing to do with scamming. The person initially wanted to delete his own account and later was grateful that he kept it.

If a scammer is identified, the moderators have taken action when the post is reported.

Sorry to hear. I was also victimized.

From now on, has to be Paypal G & S.
I agree. I am always suspicious of strangers who demand payment with Zelle or Paypal Friends & Family.

This sucks, I am sorry,

I would caution people from fully discount9jg those of us who prefer Zelle. Using paypal has tax implications for some. I am always willing to give people my name and and work info to help them feel safer.

Sorry to hear. I was also victimized.

From now on, has to be Paypal G & S.
This. Anyone who won't do PayPal or similar in 2022 is sus, regardless of how long they've had an account. Even if they send you the item, if it's not as described you have little recourse.

Really has nothing to do with scamming. The person initially wanted to delete his own account and later was grateful that he kept it.

If a scammer is identified, the moderators have taken action when the post is reported.
I wasn’t suggesting that person was scamming - and I’m glad they chose to stay, just the thought that if someone wants to leave the forum, it would be nice if they could delete their account so an inactive account doesn’t get hacked and then become a scammer - I also just think that a person should be able to delete their account, but that’s another topic.

At any rate, I hope there’s a favorable outcome here.

Be well, everyone!

Can you ship a ukulele via media mail?
Media mail is supposed to be strictly for media. (books, DVDs, CDs, etc.) I have no idea if something like that is detectable or monitored/enforced. I suppose if someone were to try a use it to save a few bucks shipping a uke they're opening themselves up to possible inspections, returns or delays. I have to confess that I was tempted to try it once. Ultimately my conscience won out knowing I'd be abusing the system and opening myself up to possible issues.

Last edited:

Recap: 9 year UU member sells inexpensive ukulele... doesn't sound nefarious at prima fascia...

Sounds to me like someone who is flakey and slow... I'd send a PM through UU, gently hinting the public shaming that is already happening, and give them another week.

This is... like... a $150 dollar uke, right? Hardly worth the trouble of a rip off...

I wish you were right. But I have been calling the number the scammer gave me (the only contact I had) on the hope that this might be true. Yesterday, the call could not go through to the number, but this morning it seems to be working. And the scammer never sent me any tracking information, or responded at all.

But the scammer responded to my text messages within a day the other times I texted him, and now - crickets.

And I did send him a PM through UU. According to the status, he has been on the site since he told me he was sending the uke, but not since this message was posted.

Sad to say this seems like proof. And yes, it doesn't seem worth the trouble, but there you have it.

Last edited:
This sucks, I am sorry,

I would caution people from fully discount9jg those of us who prefer Zelle. Using paypal has tax implications for some. I am always willing to give people my name and and work info to help them feel safer.

I think you are right - A lack of due diligence on my part, I should have gotten full information from the scammer. I guess you have to go into every transaction with a suspicion. I hate having to do that, but seems only prudent.

I think you are right - A lack of due diligence on my part, I should have gotten full information from the scammer. I guess you have to go into every transaction with a suspicion. I hate having to do that, but seems only prudent.
I did not mean to call you out---I just was responding to others who were questioning those of us who use Zelle. I am truly sorry you were the victim of a scam. I hope it does not impact the joy you get from your uke today.

1. Profile (chris24global) had not posted in 9 years if I am interpreting the profile history accurately.
2. A low ticket item can work well for scams, my buddy recently was nabbed for $125 for 2 concert tickets because of the lower loss possibility.

Top Bottom