Kiwaya KS-5 Sounding Boomy ?

DJ Mango

Reaction score
My KS-5 has always sounded "boomy" to me .
Has been strung with either Worth Brown or Worth Clear .
AFAIK , this model is universally praised .

Sometimes I feel that the laminate instruments, even those high quality ones have a bit of a boomy quality to them.

I never found the one I owned boomy at all, but we all have different tastes and perceptions. If its boomy to your ear try either Nyltechs or some type of nylon strings. Both are more percussive and less prone to being boomy than either fluorocarbon or regular Nylguts.

I never found the one I owned boomy at all, but we all have different tastes and perceptions. If its boomy to your ear try either Nyltechs or some type of strings. Both are more percussive and less prone to being boomy than either fluorocarbon or regular Nylguts.
Thanks ; I may try nylons .
I think Kiwaya Japan may have even suggested black nylons .
Strings are personal but I've read more than once that Nylgut/tech overpower/drive the Kiwayas .
And in general nylon is not a good match for laminate .

Sometimes I feel that the laminate instruments, even those high quality ones have a bit of a boomy quality to them.
I'm wondering if the KS-1 is any less boomy than the 5 ?
There's lots to like about these Kiwaya's .

Hard to say of the KS-1 vs the KS-5. The KS-1 being mahogany laminate may have a touch more warmth, but that may lead your ear to hear it as what you describe as more boomy. To me, the KS-5 had a little more brightness or sparkle. Both are excellent instruments

Is there a particular string that's boomy? I find the C string is often the culprit. If so, try a slightly thinner gauge C.
No , not a particular string .

I recall Fremont Black being least boomy on this ukulele .

I may try nylons and Fremont Clear .

My FS-5G doesn’t sound boomy to my ears. It’s louder than most sopranos, and it has a full sound, but I’d not describe it as boomy. I had imported it from Japan in 2016, and it is strung with Living Water strings. Experimenting with strings is a good idea. I didn’t really care for the nylons it came with (I felt they made the uke sound a little dull), but that’s always individual preference.

Top Bottom