Missing Soprano

Wow only just seen this post, I can't believe this instrument went back into circulation ?

I was the original owner who returned it back to Ken Timms after I highlighted the error on the fret markers.
Ken did replace the instrument for me and I am happy with the Cuban mahogany Soprano I now have.

Just a note, you won't need a serial number to identify that one. The fret markers were way off, not an OCD thing on my part, although I am an engineer and like things to be correct but a blind man on a fast horse would notice it.

Wow only just seen this post, I can't believe this instrument went back into circulation ?

I was the original owner who returned it back to Ken Timms after I highlighted the error on the fret markers.
Ken did replace the instrument for me and I am happy with the Cuban mahogany Soprano I now have.

Just a note, you won't need a serial number to identify that one. The fret markers were way off, not an OCD thing on my part, although I am an engineer and like things to be correct but a blind man on a fast horse would notice it.

I‘m kind of surprised that anyone would make those comments about Ken’s work, but pleased for you that you can afford one of his Ukes and that you got a replacement that you’re happy with. Is the fret marker clearly out? Well I just looked at the old listing on eBay and from the first photo any bidder could see that the fret marker positions - particularly the tenth - are suspect and decide whether or not be wait for another Timms to bid on - maybe some bidders did. As they say ‘one man’s meat is another man’s poison’. I’m with you in wanting things to be as perfect as is humanly possible - maybe I’m obsessive about some stuff - but someone else wouldn’t be at all concerned about some cosmetic detail and actually value it’s individuality. There’s a lot to be said for embracing imperfection and rolling with what you’re fortunate enough to have … I might remind my Mrs of that later 😁.

Last edited:
I‘m kind of surprised that anyone would make those comments about Ken’s work, but pleased for you that you can afford one of his Ukes and that you got a replacement that you’re happy with. Is the fret marker clearly out? Well I just looked at the old listing on eBay and from the first photo any bidder could see it (the tenth fret marker) was out and decide whether or not be wait for another Timms to bid on - maybe some bidders did. As they say ‘one man’s meat is another man’s poison’. I’m with you in wanting things to be as perfect as is humanly possible - maybe I’m obsessive about some stuff - but someone else wouldn’t be at all concerned about some cosmetic detail and actually value it’s individuality. There’s a lot to be said for embracing imperfection and rolling with what you’re fortunate enough to have … I might remind my Mrs of that later 😁.
First it was "1mm out" Now "way off"...by this time next week they will have become "side dots" 😜😉

I really hope I get my hands on it…. Though Ken was generous enough to send another uke while we figure out what happened to the 1mm off uke, the replacement uke is now with the person it was meant to be (a friend who was wishing for one), if the 1mm uke does arrive, I will rebuy it and keep it for myself.
1668361975879.jpeg

First it was "1mm out" Now "way off"...by this time next week they will have become "side dots" 😜😉
You’re right Ken. As an ex-inspector you’ll know that even the best of workman makes the occasional error. You provide photos and clearly stand behind your work, but you can’t please everyone. Me, I’d just be glad to have a Timms and that one would’t get confused with all the others that my club mates have 😁.

Last edited:
May I remind you that the error made on this particular ukulele was reported by Ken Timms himself not me, I refer you to his post back on the 12th October, if you haven't read it I suggest you do.

NOTE On his previous post on the 12th October you will see no comments were made by me.
I am not here to have a dig or I would have made comments at that time I am just stating facts.

As regards pictures of the ukulele on the old listing on ebay, your comment is ridiculous.
The picture where you can see the fret markers would obviously show the fret markers not central because the picture is taken at an angle ????
Please dont try and tell me any different and dont tell me it was my fault for buying it.

May I remind you that the error made on this particular ukulele was reported by Ken Timms himself not me, I refer you to his post back on the 12th October, if you haven't read it I suggest you do.

NOTE On his previous post on the 12th October you will see no comments were made by me.
I am not here to have a dig or I would have made comments at that time I am just stating facts.

As regards pictures of the ukulele on the old listing on ebay, your comment is ridiculous.
The picture where you can see the fret markers would obviously show the fret markers not central because the picture is taken at an angle ????
Please dont try and tell me any different and dont tell me it was my fault for buying it.

A reference to Ken’s post would have been good, here it is and I see that I posted there too: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/caught-out-again.155861/

This is what I said there and it wasn’t negative towards to buyer:
“For me the cost of Ken’s Ukes is a lot of money and part of the package is all round perfection. Yes it’s a hand made instrument and yes the purchaser is being picky but at the end of the day the customer is only wanting what he believes that he’s paid for and what he paid was (to me) a lot.

Good on Ken for taking it on the chin and working towards having a happy customer.”

YMMV but to my eye the tenth fret marker was clearly not in quite the right place and I thought the others to be suspect too. It’s up to bidders to examine the photographs, they do form part of the description, and to make their own judgements.

Ken has stood behind his product and seen you right, he’s talked about the fault himself and sold the product onto an informed buyer. To be frank I honestly think that the man doesn’t deserve anything other than praise for taking things on the chin and for seeing other folk right 👏.

Last edited:
There is no question here regarding Ken Timms seeing people right, none at all.
But too be clear you dont go looking for possible faults or errors from pictures on an ebay auction when purchasing a brand new hand made instrument. Your comments have been made five weeks after the event and after the error has been pointed out ? Plus the pictures dont show the error.
I have two luthier made guitars, a classical and a flamenco, I never saw one picture of them until I picked them up.
Mistakes do happen I just seem to be getting grief because I have made a comment regarding work related to Ken Timms.
This is a forum is it not ?

It has not yet left UK as per tracking, I think the next update in this thread should be if the package shows up… it feels like there nothing meaningful left to say.

Long shot here.
I've made a mistake with my tracking numbers before on an item that I have sent, so of course there was no tracking provided yet the parcel was on the way.
Maybe if you and Ken both double check the tracking number, an error may be found.

Oh No! :eek: ... My favourite 1926 Martin style1 soprano also has a marker dot at the 10th fret way off the centre line...and the more I look at it the worse it gets ...ever since I had that one off mine returned for exactly the same fault I have become almost paranoid and I find myself examining every uke I see.
i think I'll return it to the factory... or is it a keeper.? :unsure:

is this a bit sarcastic ? ..if so I'm sorry.
41467756-0C86-472B-8109-A21F193FC3A3 by Ken Timms,

Last edited:
Send it to me and I'll send you a new Martin S-1 to make up for it.

Oh No! :eek: ... My favourite 1926 Martin style1 soprano also has a marker dot at the 10th fret way off the centre line...and the more I look at it the worse it gets ...ever since I had that one off mine returned for exactly the same fault I have become almost paranoid and I find myself examining every uke I see.

Once again confirming that your ukes are the closest thing to a vintage Martin that you can buy new nowadays!

That's an outrage. You must be boiling mad! 😄

I demand you switch yours back to being off ;-)

From now on, any slightly off-center fret markers of yours that happen to turn up are faithful copies of authentic old Martins.

Top Bottom