Fingerstyle Bass (sort of)

ampeep

Reaction score
Purchased a Boss OC-5 pedal a few months ago to help fill out the bottom end of my guitar. Took a few months because it was (& is) sold out at Amazon, Sweetwater, Guitar Center & Musicians Friend. I usually play bass or guitar with my main ukulele group (~25 players), but wanted something to use with smaller groups.

Played at a Baby's 1st Birthday Party on Sunday at a nearby beach park. Got to try it out with a trio (2 ukuleles + guitar). Worked surprisingly well through my Blackstar Fly3 Bass mini amp.

This video was for the previous version, the OC-3, but it shows what this kind of pedal can do. Interesting when he mentions having the bass sag behind the drums; didn't realize I had been doing that. Wonder if there are any of you that are looking for something like this.

Last edited:
I played for some years with a guitarist whose Parkinson's had attacked his right hand first, so he got an octave doubler and played bass lines on guitar. It wasn't long, though, till he went for a U-bass which in my opinion gave a much better realistic upright bass simulation.

I'm getting a Ubass... maybe I'll give it a try!
One drawback about getting any bass is that it’s hard to play alone. When I wasn’t in a group, used to play along to CDs of a wide variety of artists. Really helps when making up bass lines for songs you’ve never heard before.

One drawback about getting any bass is that it’s hard to play alone. When I wasn’t in a group, used to play along to CDs of a wide variety of artists. Really helps when making up bass lines for songs you’ve never heard before.

True... if nothing else you need to be brave.

I played bass to accompany myself while singing mostly origional self penned songs, solo. Some people couldn't figure it out and many thought it was something. I just played and didn't look back... no background track... I had to sell it!

Then I got a ukulele. Haven't touched a bass since then.

Now I just bought a uBass. Maybe history will repeat itself!

True... if nothing else you need to be brave.

I played bass to accompany myself while singing mostly origional self penned songs, solo. Some people couldn't figure it out and many thought it was something. I just played and didn't look back... no background track... I had to sell it!

Then I got a ukulele. Haven't touched a bass since then.

Now I just bought a uBass. Maybe history will repeat itself!
I know what you mean, it's hard to introduce a song to the group while playing bass! Since I play a regular electric bass, it throws me off when I play my friend's uBass - have to LOOK where I'm going.

Good luck with your new uBass.

Was curious, did the guitarist start to play bass lines on guitar because he could no longer play guitar?
He started out with an octave doubler on his electric guitar, yes, playing bass parts. Pretty soon he went ahead and got a U-bass, I don't know whether it was for the better quality of the sound, or whether even playing single note two-beat bass parts on the full size guitar became too much to manage.

Good luck with your new uBass.

Thanks!

It's unlike anything I've played before and it's like learning all over again... where to pluck, how to hold it...everything. It's not a ukulele!

Mine was bought used and the pickup was damaged. Just got the part in the mail... I'm looking forward to hearing this little beast with some amplification! I'll try to install it this weekend...

Top Bottom