A guitar player interested in buying an ukulele

Fhede

Reaction score
Hi, I've played guitar since Jan-1994, a bedroom player.
Now I want to buy an ukulele for playing from time to time, and also to encourage my little kids to start with a musical instrument.
So, I want to know about ukuleles!

Last edited:
Hi, I've played guitar since Jan-1994, a bedroom player.
Now I want to buy a ukulele for playing from time to time, and also to encourage my little kids to start with a musical instrument.
So, I want to know about ukuleles!
Welcome, Fhede! UU member Barry Maz (@bazmaz) is a great source for objective, informative reviews for ukes of all sizes and price points!

Do you want to share a single ukulele with your kids? Or, do you want to purchase one for each of you? There are 4 sizes to choose from. Smallest is Soprano, Concert, Tenor, and largest is Baritone. If sharing the instrument, I'd suggest purchasing a Populele 2 smart ukulele as a first instrument. It connects to a musician's phone via bluetooth and has an illuminated fret board capable of depicting finger placements that create chords. The app has a bunch of tutorials, games, songs, etc. It's another tool for learning ukulele that kids seem to "click" with. Baz, mentioned previously, has a full review of this instrument. The most surprising thing about it for me was that the sound wasn't plasticky as expected. But, not wood either. It has its own sound in a very good way. If I were getting one uke for each kid and myself I'd probably get a couple decent plastic ukes like Donner DCF-100 or an Enya Nova for the kids and a solid top wood tenor for the adult guitar player. Plastic "carbon fiber" ukuleles are much better than when I wore younger shoes. I also transitioned from guitar a couple of years ago. Love guitar. Ukulele is the vibe I prefer.

I joined here a little over a year ago and shortly after got my first decent uke but had played guitar for 40+ years. The neck on Pono ukuleles is the best for me so far -- some complain it's too fat. I found tenor the most comfortable size -- the fret spacing on sopranos and concerts is harder to navigate for me.
If you don't want to learn new chords, baritone uke is an easy transition. Same grips and same chord names but fewer fingers. It also would be a good starter for the kids want to transition to guitar someday.
Have fun on your exploration!

I can't help saying this... I'm a stickler to a fault a lot of time, and I've been out of the mass market for a decade, but I always used to fear a cheap instument that may not have proper intonation. Theres nothing worse imo than a uke or guitar that can't stay in tune:
1. intonation due to neck alignment or fretbard/fret wire issues 2. tuners that won't hold properly
Playing out of tune is a factor that makes you want to quit... lol.
I'm assuming any recommendations here would help avoid those bad ones.

Do you want to share a single ukulele with your kids? Or, do you want to purchase one for each of you? There are 4 sizes to choose from. Smallest is Soprano, Concert, Tenor, and largest is Baritone. If sharing the instrument, I'd suggest purchasing a Populele 2 smart ukulele as a first instrument. It connects to a musician's phone via bluetooth and has an illuminated fret board capable of depicting finger placements that create chords. The app has a bunch of tutorials, games, songs, etc. It's another tool for learning ukulele that kids seem to "click" with. Baz, mentioned previously, has a full review of this instrument. The most surprising thing about it for me was that the sound wasn't plasticky as expected. But, not wood either. It has its own sound in a very good way. If I were getting one uke for each kid and myself I'd probably get a couple decent plastic ukes like Donner DCF-100 or an Enya Nova for the kids and a solid top wood tenor for the adult guitar player. Plastic "carbon fiber" ukuleles are much better than when I wore younger shoes. I also transitioned from guitar a couple of years ago. Love guitar. Ukulele is the vibe I prefer.
Thanks!
I will take a look to the Populele 2!
The idea is to have one first, if I see any interest from my kids, then I will consider to get another!
I opened a post in Buying guide section, with some options I'm considering. There is a top solid option, if I get it I will take care of it more than if I get a cheapest one.
My idea is to have a "travel" or a "tiny" instrument to play whenever/wherever I want to play.

I joined here a little over a year ago and shortly after got my first decent uke but had played guitar for 40+ years. The neck on Pono ukuleles is the best for me so far -- some complain it's too fat. I found tenor the most comfortable size -- the fret spacing on sopranos and concerts is harder to navigate for me.
If you don't want to learn new chords, baritone uke is an easy transition. Same grips and same chord names but fewer fingers. It also would be a good starter for the kids want to transition to guitar someday.
Have fun on your exploration!
Hi Justaguest, at first I considered a Tenor, but after thinking about it, I decided to go for a Concert one, because the idea is to have a tiny instrument, and also because a saw IZ played a Tenor or a Concert, so if he did that, means that the smaller types are cool too.

Welcome to UU Forum! I'm glad you've hopped right in with a great question. Good luck with your decision making process, and keep us posted on your ukulele journey experience :)

I can't help saying this... I'm a stickler to a fault a lot of time, and I've been out of the mass market for a decade, but I always used to fear a cheap instument that may not have proper intonation. Theres nothing worse imo than a uke or guitar that can't stay in tune:
1. intonation due to neck alignment or fretbard/fret wire issues 2. tuners that won't hold properly
Playing out of tune is a factor that makes you want to quit... lol.
I'm assuming any recommendations here would help avoid those bad ones.
Hi Milesaway, yes I understand you, a good intonation is a must, the rest can be "negotiated".
Besides I played guitar for 29 years, I also made a guitar (with the help of the luthier who taught me!). I understand what you mean!
I need some help because I'm not familiar with Uke brands! Thanks!

My only experience with a Uku is the Protégé by Cordoba U1 of my sister!
It's a nice Uke, but it's quite expensive here in South America.

Welcome to UU, Fhede!
I wish you lots of fune on your uke journey, and I hope that your children join you, exploring instruments and sounds.

Top Bottom