First Uke advise

Fhede

Reaction score
I don't want invest too much... but don't want to get any crap.
I play guitar, so I'm a bit demanding, but at the same time I want something cheap that my 8y and 4y Kids would use... is there any uke that fits me needs?

I'm considering this Concert Ukuleles:
- Used Ohana Ck-20s -US$ 65, (solid top)
- Mahalo MH2 (brand new) US$ 45
- Bamboo Bu-23Ln - US$ 49 (there are a couple of model at this price)
- Parker UK240 - US$ 49 (there are a couple of model at this price)
- Hola! - USD 54

Thanks!

Donner DCF-100 or an Enya Nova U can be found in those price ranges from the big river store. They are adequate for both kids and adults.

Of the ukuleles on your list, I think the Ohana solid top will sound the best. If you want a ukulele that is sturdy enough for a 4-year-old to use, the plastic ukuleles from Enya or Flight are cheap (around $40) and durable and sound as good as wood ukuleles in this price range.

Maybe you should/are looking for three ukuleles? One ukulele for two kids doesn't work well, since every time one picks it up, the other now wants to play.

Without much familiarity with your list, you should probably get the Ohana. You must know the difference between guitars when one is decent and one is bad and you are listing a price range where there are a lot more bad ones.

+1 on the Ohana. I recently purchased a cedar solid top willow laminate sides & back (SK-50WG) soprano, and I'm very pleased with it. I also have a Twisted Wood Sierra cedar solid top with laminate body & sides tenor. I really like the combo of solid cedar + lam. You might want spruce or mahogany or... something else, but the solid top & laminate body is a nice combo IMO at a reasonable price point.

It's a nice Uke, but it's quite expensive here in Argentina.
I just thought I'd pop this comment onto this thread for people offering advice: anyone know of anything local / easy to obtain specifically in Argentina / South America that might be worth mentioning?

My only experience with a Uku is the Protégé by Cordoba U1 of my sister!
It's a nice Uku, but it's quite expensive here in South America.

I just bought the used Ohala with solid top for US$ 58, it includes a bag and a tuner.
As soon as I get it I will share some pics! :)

Of the ukuleles on your list, I think the Ohana solid top will sound the best. If you want a ukulele that is sturdy enough for a 4-year-old to use, the plastic ukuleles from Enya or Flight are cheap (around $40) and durable and sound as good as wood ukuleles in this price range.

They look great, but I didn't find any of these in Argentina.

Welcome! I have no experience with Ohana but can't recall any negative comments about it. I can't say the same about the other ukes on your list. I've personally tried a Donner DUS-1 on loan from the local public library and was unexpectedly impressed. My only gripe with the Donner was its 38mm nut. Some folks prefer the wider nut / greater span between strings but I'd grown accustomed to 35mm and found the difference oddly uncomfortable.

Congrats on the World Cup win and congrats on your new uke! I don't know which is better!! 😁 welcome to the ukulele world!!
hahahaha!!! Thanks!!!

Definitively the WC is better!!! 😍
Especially because Lio Messi deserved it!!! Also I was tired of the blind fanaticism to Maradona of many compatriots that who criticized Lio!!!

I don't want invest too much... but don't want to get any crap.
I play guitar, so I'm a bit demanding, but at the same time I want something cheap that my 8y and 4y Kids would use... is there any uke that fits me needs?

I'm considering this Concert Ukuleles:
  • Used Ohana Ck-20s -US$ 65, (solid top)
  • Mahalo MH2 (brand new) US$ 45
  • Bamboo Bu-23Ln - US$ 49 (there are a couple of model at this price)
  • Parker UK240 - US$ 49 (there are a couple of model at this price)
  • Hola! - USD 54

Thanks!
Fhede
It's a bit more than your budget allows but I'd whole heartedly recommend the Martin 0XK as a family uke.

"I play guitar, so I'm a bit demanding" - then, this uke is what you're looking for. Sounds, plays amazing, durable and you can ALWAYS resell a Martin Uke. Anything else at this price point won't hold its value in the same way.

At $299 new, you might find one used for 1/2 the price!!

I'd also add that; the impressions young people get of musical instruments is life long.

Ciao

ic-uke

Last edited:
Fhede
It's a bit more than your budget allows but I'd whole heartedly recommend the Martin 0XK as a family uke.

"I play guitar, so I'm a bit demanding" - then, this uke is what you're looking for. Sounds, plays amazing, durable and you can ALWAYS resell a Martin Uke. Anything else at this price point won't hold its value in the same way.

At $299 new, you might find one used for 1/2 the price!!

I'd also add that; the impressions young people get of musical instruments is life long.

Ciao

ic-uke
Thanks a lot for you feedback.
I'm from Argentina and the market is very limited, specially nowadays that the imports are very restringed, I only found a Soprano 0XK, at USD 258.
As I wanted to try every Uke Size to write about it in my guitar Blog -a guitarplayer trying Ukes-, I already bought:
  • Lanikai SST-S -USD 65- soprano: A great great Uke -Spruce Solid top-, sounds loud and pretty clear and defined as I like. A winner. Bought 2 days ago.
  • Ohana CK-20S -USD 55- concert: A nice Uke -mahogany-like solid top-, the tuner could be better, sounds good, rounded, a nice uke. Bought a month ago.
  • Kala PWT -USD 43- Tenor: A basic, student, but good enough Uke, all laminate. Bought yesterday.

I'm going to play them for a while... I guess that they are a good starter set. Later, I'll decide if I go for a better Tenor -and maybe a better Concert-. I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for you feedback.
I'm from Argentina and the market is very limited, specially nowadays that the imports are very restringed, I only found a Soprano 0XK, at USD 258.
As I wanted to try every Uke Size to write about it in my guitar Blog -a guitarplayer trying Ukes-, I already bought:
  • Lanikai SST-S -USD 65- soprano: A great great Uke -Spruce Solid top-, sounds loud and pretty clear and defined as I like. A winner. Bought 2 days ago.
  • Ohana CK-20S -USD 55- concert: A nice Uke -mahogany-like solid top-, the tuner could be better, sounds good, rounded, a nice uke. Bought a month ago.
  • Kala PWC -USD 43- Tenor: A basic, student, but good enough Uke, all laminate. Bought yesterday.

I'm going to play them for a while... I guess that they are a good starter set. Later, I'll decide if I go for a better Tenor -and maybe a better Concert-. I'll keep you updated.
All the best!

After a while playing my 3 ukes, I enjoy playing all of them, but I feel that definitely the tenor is the most comfortable and easy to play.
I went first for the Concert, looking to the perfect balance of size... but after playing the three sizes with the only one that I don't feel that is not too small or light is the tenor. It allows me to change the left hand position without moving all the uke. It's like it has enough mass!!! hehehehe!!!
Regarding the tone, I'm not sure, because the three are different in quality and in tonewoods. So it wouldn't be wise to say that the tenor is the one that I less like, because is a very basic uke.
I'm tempted to try I better tenor, and I'll do it if I find a good deal... but I'm talking to get a solid top of less than $200. If in a couple years I find my self playing a lot the uke, then I may go for a $500 tenor uke.
This is my update, thanks for read me and advice me! :)

Top Bottom