Why are people so afraid of Music Theory?

The issue is not fear. It’s the lack of a compelling, practical explanation of why and how music theory can/ will benefit me. As a high school student, I unknowingly needed precisely the same in regard to history. I’ve since learned the value of studying history on my own. As a result, I now thoroughly enjoy history.
For me, the biggest benefit that comes from knowing music theory and how to read music notation is that my repertoire is never limited to just the tunes I already know. There is a vast amount of amazing music in our world, and one can comfortably access any or all of it, if they know some basic theory and can read music. Personally, I have found the price of admission to that wonderful world of music to be well worth it. YMMV :)

Many ukulele teachers are just really poor at teaching theory. Others teach to the lowest common denominator in a classroom, which really holds back the more curious students.

When I was a lad, my wind teacher was actually excited when I asked questions that were theory-based. It was nothing deep. I remember it as playing Greensleeves but wondering why the key signature said to play Bb but inside the song the B's were natural. Then my teacher could talk about stuff like keys.

And I guess that's why I have always enjoyed theory. For me music is an intellectual pursuit as well as physical/performative. Just as some people are gossips and want to know everything that's happening in their job/school/whatever, I want to know the inside scoop of music. My basic question is essentially "why?" and theory provides an answer. I don't always agree with the answer but at least theory engages my query.

I am in no way proud of my ignorance. I dislike being ignorant. But music theory confuses me very quickly, beyond the very 101 basics. I haven't the time nor the desire to dive deeply into it.
Now, maybe if I were 22 instead of 72.....
None of my music teachers showed any desire to teach me theory.

I think it is often also full of texts and teachers that have no idea how to teach and dont really understand the subject. It was one of my pet peeves on all subjects in College and continues to this day. I had a few good professors who could really teach and it made the courses much easier. Most of them had written the text we used. I think writing a textbook for the material should be mandatory for professors. Then, the whole world can see if they know their stuff, and how to present it.

I had one prof in Electrical Engineering Circuit Theory. This course was considered a ball-buster by many engineering students. One of those used to separate the wheat from the chaff. On the first day of class he announced that he would try not to throw in material in his lectures not covered in his text, unless someone asked a question about it. He said we therefore didn't need to come to class unless we just wanted to. We would have a test every week. If you made a B or higher on all the tests you didn't need to take the midterm or the final. I was skeptical at first, so I attended for a couple of weeks. I got an A on the first two tests and he seemed to be true to his word. After that, I just studied his superb textbook, did the homework and showed up for the weekly tests. What a breath of fresh air this was. I ended up getting an A in the course and never took the midterm or the final. To me this was the difference between someone who knew how to write and teach and those who didn't.

I find most textbooks on any subject to be the same. A few are superb, most are quite boring and therefore difficult. I absolutely loathe most lectures. I am usually lost or bored out of my mind within the first 5 minutes. I don't know who said it, but someone said once that people who really know a subject can teach it and make it seem easy (and interesting). The rest are simply plodding along, not really sure what is important, but teaching it how they were forced to sort of learn it.

OK. Someone help me down off this soapbox.
I had a college course like that. It was called 'Genetics'.

I am in no way proud of my ignorance. I dislike being ignorant. But music theory confuses me very quickly, beyond the very 101 basics. I haven't the time nor the desire to dive deeply into it.
Now, maybe if I were 22 instead of 72.....
None of my music teachers showed any desire to teach me theory.

A lot of people get confused when trying to learn music theory, and I think the main reason is because they just haven’t found the right teacher yet. There are many different ways to teach music theory. A good teacher will figure out which way(s) works best for the student. The use of clever non-traditional tools and resources (like the chart below) can also be helpful when the going gets tough. (Having said that, a lack of interest in the subject is legitimate, and requires no further action - or apology). :)

1679206176757.jpeg

Music Theory may best be described as a general collection of "How to Do it" or "How to Understand It" guidelines. The Composition of music comes first and only afterwards do people try to explain how to best understand and/or perform that music. That explaining is called Music Theory. Good explanations can be thought of as short cuts to understanding (i.e. you don't have to figure it out yourself).

There are a lot of different kinds of music, so there has been a lot of explaining. But you don't need to know anything about Music Theory to compose or perform your own music. Music is just noise. You can create any noise you want. Some people will like the noise you create, some won't. Afterwards someone may try to explain your music so that other people can play it or understand it or create something like it. If they do (or if you do it for them), that explanation will be tossed into the big box of other explanations that we call Music Theory.

Here are a few examples of things that might be called Music Theory:
1. How to read and/or write standard musical notation, or tablature, or ABC or any other notation.
2. How various chords relate to one another, such as why Happy Birthday sounds just as good using the chords C F G as the chords G C D, and why certain chords typically lead to others (G7 to C, D7 to G, etc.).
3. How to understand the musical patterns that are commonly used in Country Music, or Baroque Music, or Ragtime, or Irish Traditional Music.

Music Theory is "how to." We are all interested in the "how to/Music Theory" of the music we want to play, and uninterested in the "how to/Music Theory" of the music we do not want to play (either because we don't like it, or because it is too difficult, or some other reason).

"How to" can be very difficult if you have a bad teacher/study course because then it isn't a short cut at all! It also can be very difficult if you aren't interested enough to put in the effort needed to learn. After all, just learning to read any kind of notation or chord symbols takes effort. It is perfectly acceptable to learn a few chords (C F G Am), use a capo so that all the songs don't sound the same, and become the life of the party. But if you want to do more, you'll have to learn "how to," which is what we call Music Theory.

Last edited:
I'm 74 years old- and had my first exposure to music when I was probably 8 or 9, with my Dad giving me piano lessons. When I was in Jr High, I took up Sax, and played throughout High School.
Went into the Navy when I was 17 and did 20 years in the Navy- and took up acoustic guitar... started with pattern picking, and learned to read tab.
Somehow, theory- no matter how I tried to attack it- never stuck.
It's like the difference between my wife and I- she's an artist and a poet- and her mind works one way.
I'm very mechanically oriented, and my mind works totally different.
When we have a home project, I try to describe things to her in my way- and she just can never get it!
It's the ultimate "Left Brain/Right Brain" conflict!

Music Theory may best be described as a general collection of "How to Do it" or "How to Understand It" guidelines. The Composition of music comes first and only afterwards do people try to explain how to best understand and/or perform that music. That explaining is called Music Theory. Good explanations can be thought of as short cuts to understanding (i.e. you don't have to figure it out yourself).

There are a lot of different kinds of music, so there has been a lot of explaining. But you don't need to know anything about Music Theory to compose or perform your own music. Music is just noise. You can create any noise you want. Some people will like the noise you create, some won't. Afterwards someone may try to explain your music so that other people can play it or understand it or create something like it. If they do (or if you do it for them), that explanation will be tossed into the big box of other explanations that we call Music Theory.

Here are a few examples of things that might be called Music Theory:
1. How to read and/or write standard musical notation, or tablature, or ABC or any other notation.
2. How various chords relate to one another, such as why Happy Birthday sounds just as good using the chords C F G as the chords G C D, and why certain chords typically lead to others (G7 to C, D7 to G, etc.).
3. How to understand the musical patterns that are commonly used in Country Music, or Baroque Music, or Ragtime, or Irish Traditional Music.

Music Theory is "how to." We are all interested in the "how to/Music Theory" of the music we want to play, and uninterested in the "how to/Music Theory" of the music we do not want to play (either because we don't like it, or because it is too difficult, or some other reason).

"How to" can be very difficult if you have a bad teacher/study course because then it isn't a short cut at all! It also can be very difficult if you aren't interested enough to put in the effort needed to learn. After all, just learning to read any kind of notation or chord symbols takes effort. It is perfectly acceptable to learn a few chords (C F G Am), use a capo so that all the songs don't sound the same, and become the life of the party. But if you want to do more, you'll have to learn "how to," which is what we call Music Theory.
Thank you, this is just great!

Somehow, theory- no matter how I tried to attack it- never stuck.
I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. You have accomplished a lot. The music theory you were interested in did take. Reading tab is part of music theory. So is learning the chords. I'll guess that if playing a song in C F G is too high or low for you to sing along, you can change to another group of chords, which is a deeper level of music theory. Fingerpicking is a) arpeggiation of the chords, which b) adds rhythmic diversity, which are two other elements of music theory. All the things you learned about what you can now play are elements of music theory. Music theory is like an encyclopedia, a place where we can look stuff up if we are interested. It isn't a rule book we are supposed to memorize and obey.

Here is an example of practical musical theory.
We want to play a certain song. We know all the chords except one and we can't figure it out. So we ask a friend who is better at figuring out chords than we are. The friend says that it is an E chord. Right then and there, half the ukulele players in the world give up on the song, but not us. We know that you can play the the song using different chords, so we don't have to play an E chord.
In fancy music theory terms, we are transposing the song to another key.

Bad music teaching makes all aspects of music seem harder than they really are. Telling people that music theory is something that they need to know—separate from the purely practical knowledge necessary to play the music they want to play—is bad teaching. We have no more need to know the circle of fifths, for example, than we need to know how to land a jet on an aircraft carrier. Unless, of course, we need to know how to land a jet on an aircraft carrier. The circle of fifths is a tool, like a ruler, to measure the distance between various notes and chords. It, like every other aspect of music theory, just sits in our toolbox (our encyclopedia of musical knowledge) until we need it for something.

Speaking for myself, I know only a little music theory now, but it is a great deal more than I had when I started playing ukulele two and a half years ago. I’m not scared of theory, but I find it is only possible for me to learn it I in small gulps, as it is actually applicable to what I want to learn/get better at in the moment. I’ve sat down with a basic theory book, and after not too long, it’s like trying to drink from a fire hose.

and mostly, it’s not necessary for what I do. I have fun. I pick up things as they are necessary for me to have more fun. I don’t enjoy the feeling of banging my head into a wall, and that’s where learning music theory is like math for me. That’s exactly the feeling algebra gave me in school, while I asked the teacher when we would use it in real life, and in college when the professor insisted we learn about imaginary numbers. In between, I had an amazing trigonometry teacher, and math was a fun challenge and not an exercise in frustration. So if I had the right teacher, I’ve no doubt music theory could be a fun challenge. But I don’t have such a teacher, and I don’t feel any need to find one so that people on the Internet will be impressed by my music theory knowledge, so I’ll keep picking up my bits and pieces as I see the need for them.

I’m not accusing the original poster of this, but I think some people have an outspoken pride in their ignorance because they’ve encountered one too many people with an outspoken attitude of superiority about their music theory knowledge. It’s a reaction.

I think it’sa good thing to welcome beginners of all abilities and help them learn music as they see the need/want to learn, not hold up some arbitrary measuring stick of “you must know this much theory to enter “. If we start with the fun stuff, people will want to learn, and the tradition of music will be passed down. If we start with whacking them over the head with a theory textbook, more people will give up, and there will be less music in the world. Some people will never care to do more than sing and strum a few basic chords. That doesn’t bother me at all.

Would I love to be as good of a ukulele player as I someday hope to be without having to learn theory? ... I mean, yea, probably. My life is super busy between work and family ... and more work and more family. But after ~6 months with a uke it seems pretty clear that I am not a savant (ever so disappointing).

Therefore, over time, I'll be learning (and retaining) as much theory as I can, while also memorizing songs, scales, chords, trying to learn to sing and play simultaneously, studying different styles/genres, experimenting with string sets, etc. All the things.

While a certain amount of facility with the instrument is possible over time, learning theory both accelerates accomplishment and helps break through the ceiling that exists (for most folks) without it.

Last edited:
Remember that theory without purpose is like buying coils for your stove when it is a gas appliance. If you don't need theory, then don't bother with it. We all spend hours per week online regarding ukuleles; spend the time in support of your interests. I spend time reading up on theory but I have never watched a single ukulele podcast/blog. I think sound files are asinine but I could contemplate the circle of fifths for a long time. We're all different. So just follow your heart and follow the path that is in front of you

Okay, here's Steedy's Music 101 Primer, which I wrote and posted several years ago. It's a bit long, but very basic and not difficult to understand. Feel free to use what you can, and leave the rest for later.

MUSIC 101, by Stephen H. Lawson

Music theory is nothing more than understanding the intervals between notes, and the patterns of intervals that make up the music we play. You can make it very complicated or keep it relatively simple. I have to keep it simple! For me, the light bulb came on when I looked at the piano keyboard and realized:

piano keyboard.jpg

ALL of the notes are included in this picture. They merely repeat themselves in the same pattern as they go higher or lower.

The white keys are called the natural notes. There are seven natural notes. The black keys are called sharps and/or flats. There are five of them inserted between some of the natural notes. That gives a total of twelve notes in half-step intervals.

The white keys are in whole-step intervals, except for the E & F, and the B & C. There are no black keys between E & F, and B & C, so those notes are always only a half-step apart.

What are half-steps and whole-steps? The distance, or interval, between two adjacent notes. NOTE: On the ukulele, one fret equals a half-step and two frets equal a whole step.

Western music is based on the Major scale, and on chords constructed from the Major scale. A scale is simply a specific pattern of notes, played one note at a time, starting on any note and ending on the same note an octave higher or lower. There are usually seven notes in each scale, eight if you count the ending note, which is why it's called an octave. Scales that use half-steps and whole-steps are known as Diatonic Scales. Scales that use only half-steps are known as Chromatic Scales.

Going back to the piano diagram, if we play each white key, starting with 'C' on the left and ending with 'C' on the right, that's a C Major scale. It's a C scale, because it starts and ends on 'C', and it's a Major scale, because of the specific pattern of intervals it uses. It's also a diatonic scale, because it uses half-steps and whole-steps.

Now, pay attention. Every Major scale has the same pattern of intervals, which are: whole-step, whole-step, half-step, whole-step, whole-step, whole-step, half-step.

I like to remember the Major scale as a phone number, which would be 221-2221, with the twos being whole steps and the ones being half steps. This is easy to see in the key of 'C', because the C Major scale uses only the white keys, with no sharps or flats.

It gets a little trickier for Major scales (or keys) other than 'C', because those use sharps and flats (the black keys) to make up the same 221-2221 pattern of intervals, and you have to remember how many, and which sharps or flats, are needed depending on what key you're in, or what note the Major scale starts on. You can see this on the piano keyboard by working out the 'whole-step, whole-step, half-step, whole-step, whole-step, whole-step, half-step' (221-2221) pattern, starting on each different note. Then you can play the same scales on the ukulele. Of course, you need to know the names of the notes on your ukulele fingerboard in order to find them.

The notes of a scale can be numbered from '1' to '8', and the chords we play on the ukulele are built from the notes of the scale. A chord is simply three or more notes from the same scale, played together at the same time. A basic three-note chord is called a Triad, and is built using the first, third, and fifth notes of a scale, also known as the 1, 3, & 5 scale tones. If the notes are from a Major scale, then it's called a Major chord. (If the third note is lowered a half-step, it becomes a minor chord, but I'm sticking to Major scales and chords for simplicity's sake.)

Again, it's easy to see with a 'C' chord using the 1, 3, & 5 notes, which are C, E, & G, because the key of 'C' and the C Major scale uses only natural notes (i.e. white keys) with no sharps or flats. It gets a little trickier to build other chords because you have to use sharps or flats to create the same 1, 3, & 5 intervals. But, a triad is always the 1, 3, & 5 notes of a scale.

Now, the songs we play are made up of chords which are built on the scale of the underlying key they are in. If we think of the chords in a certain key the same way we think of notes in a scale, we can number the chords from one to seven. Chord numbers are usually written with Roman numerals to indicate they are chords rather than notes in a scale. The I chord corresponds to the root or first note of the key a song is in. In the key of C, the I is a C chord. In the key of D, the I is a D chord, etc.

Most popular three-chord songs are based on the I, IV, and V chords. In the key of C, that's the C, F, & G chords. In D, it's the D, G, and A chords. In E, it's the E, A, & B chords. You can count on your fingers to find the I, IV, and V chords in each key, or you can look at the Circle of Fifths which is simply a diagram of the chords in each key, and usually shows the sharps or flats in each key, as well. Very handy!

The I, IV, and V chords are almost always Major chords. The chords in between, the ii, iii, and vi chords are usually minor chords, as indicated by the lower-case Roman numerals. The vii chord is a diminished chord, which is seldom used, so we can ignore it for now. The reason some chords are major and others are minor is due to the 1, 3, & 5 intervals. Depending on which note of the scale that each chord is built on, the interval from 1 to 3 can be a Major 3rd (four half-steps) making it a Major chord, or a minor 3rd (three half-steps) making it a minor chord. Or you could say that a minor chord is just a Major chord with the 3rd lowered a half-step.

Keep in mind the I, IV, and V chords are very strong obvious changes, while the ii, iii, and vi chords are weaker, more subtle changes. If you're trying to figure out the chords in a song, try the I, IV, and V chords first, then try filling in the others. The vi chord is closely related to the I chord and is called the Relative Minor chord. It gets thrown into a lot of songs that use the I, IV, and V.

All the different minor scales and modes, and complicated music theory stuff is merely based on variations of the good old Major scale, so basically that's all there is to it!

Anyway, that's all I've got, and that's as simple as I can make it, based on my own very limited understanding. Hopefully, I haven't confused anyone too badly. I'm gonna stop now before I confuse myself any further!

Last edited:
Here are some Major scale exercises for a bit of applied music theory knowledge on the ukulele.
Try playing a Major scale on each string of your ukulele. This is assuming your uke is tuned to GCEA.

Start with the open 3rd string, which is the C string, and play the following notes at the frets indicated:

3rd string: ----0----2----4----5----7----9----11----12----

That's a C Major scale, and the notes are C - D - E - F - G - A - B - C. The reason we started with the C Major scale is because it uses only the seven natural notes (i.e. white keys on the piano), with no sharps or flats. Easy-peasy, right?

Also, notice the pattern of two frets, two frets, one fret, two frets, two frets, two frets, one fret, going up the string. That's THE Major scale pattern of whole-step, whole-step, half-step, whole-step, whole-step, whole-step, half-step (or 221-2221 in my "phone number" shorthand).

Since we know that a three-note chord, or triad, is made up of the 1, 3, & 5 notes of the scale, we know that the notes C, E, & G should make a C chord. Sure enough, when we play a C chord as 0003, the notes are G, C, E, & C. (Since we're playing a three-note chord on a four-string instrument, the chord has two C notes, on the 1st and 3rd strings.)

Next, move to the 4th string, which is the G string, and play the following notes at the same frets:

4th string: ----0----2----4----5----7----9----11----12----

Same pattern, but because we started with G on the 4th string, it's a G Major scale, and the notes are G - A - B - C - D - E - F# - G. Uh-oh, we've thrown a black key into the mix. Why is that an F sharp (F#) instead of an F natural? Because, following the major scale pattern up the neck, the next-to-last note at the 11th fret is an F#, a half-step below the G at the 12th fret. Again, we know the 1, 3, & 5 notes which are G, B, and D, make up a G chord, and sure enough, when we play a G chord as 0232, those notes are G, D, G, B.

Now move to the 1st string, which is the A string, and play the following notes at the same frets:

1st string: ----0----2----4----5----7----9----11----12----

Again, it's the same pattern, but because we started with an A on the 1st string, that's an A Major scale, and the notes are A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A. Oh crap, we had to use three black keys for that scale! Why does the A Major scale have three sharps? Because, with the major scale pattern starting on the open A string, the notes at the 4th, 9th, and 11th frets are C#, F#, and G#.

But even with all those pesky sharps, we know an A chord is built from the 1, 3, & 5 notes of the scale which are the A, C#, and E. Sure enough, when we play an A chord as 2100, those notes are A, C#, E, A.

Finally, go to the 2nd string, which is the E string, and repeat the exercise at the same frets:

2nd string: ----0----2----4----5----7----9----11----12----

As before, it's the same pattern, but because we started with an E on the 2nd string, it's an E Major scale, and the notes are E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D# - E. Yikes, even more black keys this time! Why does the E Major scale have four sharps? Because, following the major scale pattern up the neck, the notes at the 2nd, 4th, 9th, and 11th frets are F#, G#, C#, and D#. And once again, we can use the 1, 3, & 5 scale tones to make an E chord, and those are E, G#, and B. So, when we play an E chord as 4442, the notes we're using are B, E, G#, and B. If we play it as 4447, the notes are B, E, G#, and E. Either way, the triad is E, G#, and B.

Now, this is not the best way to practice playing scales. Normally, we wouldn't play a scale all the way up the neck on a single string. But, this is a good way to learn the pattern of major scale intervals and the names of the notes on the fingerboard. You could also do these exercises with an electronic tuner on your headstock, and it will tell you the name of each note as you go.

You can also practice the Chromatic scale on each string, with a tuner on your headstock. Start with the open string and move up one fret (half-step) at a time, letting the tuner tell you the names of the notes.

All of these scales use the exact same notes as the white and black keys on a piano, which is the basis of all music theory. Learn where the natural notes (white keys) are on the ukulele fingerboard and then fill in the sharps and flats (black keys) between them. Then use the 1, 3, & 5 notes of each scale to help you find new chords.

And that's music theory, in practice!

I'm a massive music theory nerd, but I feel no need to sneer at anyone who isn't. I know people who are much better musicians than me but who have a level of theoretical knowledge that stops at "the names of simple chords", or "how to read the notes." And I know a singer-songwriter who does superb piano parts using chords she doesn't even know the names of! Theory is a massive toolbox. You don't need every single tool in it for every job. It's not even the only toolbox out there.... in many parts of Asia they use completey different music theories.

I know a bit about strict 4-part voice leading in classical harmony, which is mainly so I can write piano music that "sounds classical." I've used this knowledge for songs on guitar or uke maybe once in a decade? It's just not relevant to that kind of music. The most common way theory helps me for songs is that it makes it a lot quicker to transpose them into a different key.

Top Bottom