SOTU 579 That's Crackers!

Ms Bean

Reaction score
You've read that right. It's crazy time.

Week 579 has room for:

1. songs about crackers (obviously). I've seen Easter crackers somewhere, but sing about Graham crackers if you like)
2. songs by Madness
3. songs that have crazy in the lyrics or title

The usual rules apply:
  • no posting before 19/03 midnight in Hawaii, and the season ends at midnight Sunday 26/03 (again Hawaiian time)
  • new recordings only (except for Rob)
  • collabs welcome (but ukulele or guitalele must be a main instrument)
  • originals welcome

Don't forget that there's still more than 36 hours to bring John your Ya Yas, too!

This link for the PLAYLIST

Last edited:
no posting before 19/03 midnight in Hawaii, and the season ends at midnight Sunday 26/03 (again Hawaiian time)
Seasons are still 8 days, I think, right? So it ends on the midnight that starts the 27th?

“Crackers” is a pejorative term for a particular demographic in the USA.
Just sayin…
Who y’all talkin’ ‘bout? 😂

“Crackers” is a pejorative term for a particular demographic in the USA.
Just sayin…

Hi Brian,

Oops, sorry to hear about the pejorative term. So firstly, my sincerest apologies to anyone I may have offended. I obviously didn't know that.
I don't think it has the same meaning in the UK, Ireland, or the EU. I don't know about Australia and New Zealand. So, if our North American seasonistas prefer, they can use 'That's Madness' instead. However, I don't think that we should completely erase 'crackers' from our dictionaries yet, seeing as the positive or neutral meanings seem to outweigh the negative one.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/cracker

I am glad to know that I landed in hot water, and I definitely didn't want to offend anyone. I'll try to google any potential titles for future hosting sessions before I announce a theme.
Seasons are still 8 days, I think, right? So it ends on the midnight that starts the 27th?

You can indeed post until Sunday 26 turns into Monday 27 in Honolulu. I wouldn't dream of ever cutting a Season short. For the UK people that means until 10am Monday 27/03/2023.

In Australia "Cracker" is used in a couple of other ways. In traditional slang a "cracker" of a party is a "very good" party. Could be a cracker of a footy game or a cracker of a day...it is just a positive noun.
A cracker of a joke is also a good joke cause it cracks you up.
A ruder usage is " he got hit in the Jatz Crackers"...rhyming slang for knackers which is in turn slang for men's testicular parts. Jatz Crackers is a popular savoury cracker here.
Seems like a versatile word!

Thank you for hosting, @Ms. Bean!
Though I claim no slur-specific linguistic expertise, pre-dating the Braves, Atlanta’s pro baseball team was at one time named the Crackers, referring to a rural Caucasian, usually a farmer, and far preferable to “Goober”, which is also a colloquial term for peanuts.
Florida natives are commonly referred to as Crackers. Otherwise, I’m unaware of how the term is conceivably offensive.
Rock on, Seasonistas!

Last edited:
Given the theme and context of the season there's really no reason that anyone should think of "cracker" in the pejorative sense. Coming from a white American, that sense of the word didn't even remotely occur to me when reading about the theme. It's unfortunate that the very unlikely interpretation possibility even came up.

This is awesome- love me some Madness (and Prince Buster). Many years ago we had a seasonista who had played bass for Madness. Anyone heard from Mike lately?
Also, being from the US “Cracker” is the least offensive pejorative term this country has come up with. It is applied to the white folks who shop late hours at Walmart and eat at Golden Corral. They tend to be (but are not always) the ones that use the worst pejorative terms we have come up with (and they are really bad), so I reckon there is no foul here at all for those of us in the states.

That's indeed what I meant and mean, Nickie!
first time that I had the term was from a randy Newman song.

President Coolidge come down in a railroad train
With a little fat man with a notepad in his hand
President say, "Little fat man, isn't it a shame
What the river has done to this poor cracker's land?"

This is an intriguing theme, Sabine! Since it seems to have caused some controversy regarding the actual meaning of "crackers" - and, being a Brit, I am obviously thinking first and foremost of good old "Jacob's Cream Crackers" - are we allowed to use any regional interpretation of the word in our contributions? (I am more of a "crackers" equals "bonkers" person, myself.)

I couldn't decide which of your three options to choose, so I did them all:

Crazy For Ritz Crackers - Season 579

I want something (C) round, and (G) crisp, and (F) buttery (C) tasting
A (F) taste so (C) good (Fadd9) nothing can (G) take its (Am) place
It’s not just (C) any one
It’s the (Em) only (C) one, that (F) just won’t (G) miss
When (C) I want a (G) cracker, (F) I want a (C) Ritz
That (F) special taste, always (C) hits the spot
(Fadd9) No other cracker, has (G) got what it’s got
Na(G)bis(C)co!

(Am-Am7-F7-E7)
If (Am) you have blue cheese-and you don’t know what to do with-it
Why don’t you put-it where-the best cheese (E7) sits
Put it on a (Am) Ritz (Am7-F7-E7)

(Am) Different types of cheese and spreads
And even peanut butter are perfect (E7) fits

(C) I remember way back when, we would eat the whole box and
(Gm7) We would fill our bellies up
With (Dm) crackers … Ritz (Fm) crackers
And (C) I remember how we’d snack, eating till our lips would smack
(Gm7) Then we’d ask, what shall we put be(Dm)tween these
Two (Fm) crackers

(C) We were eating Sunday (Gm7) brunch
(Dm) Mother’s tired, she cooked all day
The (Fm) kids just picked and wouldn’t eat the (C) eggs
Sister has a great i(Gm7)dea
So (Dm) brother gets the crackers out
Then (Fm) we all eat our fill … at

(D) Our (Am) house, (Em) in the (Gm) middle of our (D) street
Our (Am) house, (Em) that was (Gm) where we used to (B) eat

(Dm) Tastes just like it (A+) costs a million (Dm7) smackers (G9)
But you can (C) buy it even (G) if you are a (C) slacker … (F7) what a (E7) cracker!

If (Am) you have blue cheese-and you don’t know what to do with-it
Why don’t you put-it where-the best cheese (E7) sits

(Am) Different types of cheese and spreads
And even peanut butter are perfect (E7) fits
Put it on a (Am) Ritz (Am7-F7-E7) (Am-Am7-F7-E7)

I want something (C) round, and (G) crisp, and (F) buttery (C) tasting
A (F) taste so (C) good (Fadd9) nothing can (G) take its (Am) place
It’s not just (C) any one
It’s the (Em) only (C) one, that (F) just won’t (G) miss
That (F) special taste, always (C) hits the spot
(Fadd9) No other cracker, has (G) got what it’s got
‘Cause I’m crazy ‘bout Na-(G)bis-(C)co!

Key
Italics = "Puttin' on the Ritz" by Irving Berlin
Underline = "Our House" by Madness
Normal type = Ritz cracker jingle from this ad:

Last edited:
"Shame & Scandal" is a song originally performed by calypso singer Sir Lancelot. The song is a reggae classic, and was written for the movie "I Walked with a Zombie" in 1943. The song was originally titled "Fort Holland Calypso Song". Trinidadian calypsonian Lord Melody used the song as the basis of his song "Shame and Scandal", although he titled it "Wau, Wau". This version used the same chorus as the original 40s song, but with new verses.
A 1965 ska cover version was recorded in Jamaica by Peter Tosh and The Wailers on vocals, backed by the Skatalites and released on the Studio One label.
This arrangement of the song is that which British ska/pop band Madness later covered. Madness had previously covered several other Prince Buster ska recordings, including the songs 'Madness', and 'One Step Beyond'. The band began performing the song at a series of low-key performances as "The Dangermen" in 2005. They later recorded the song for their cover album The Dangermen Sessions Vol. 1, and released it as a single later that year.

At American baseball games, during the middle of the seventh inning, there is a thing called “The Seventh Inning Stretch”. During this stretch, the crowd stands up and sings “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”. One line in the song goes:
“Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack…”
From Wikipedia: Cracker Jack is an American brand of snack food that consists of molasses-flavored, caramel-coated popcorn, and peanuts, well known for being packaged with a prize of trivial value inside. The Cracker Jack name and slogan, "The More You Eat The More You Want", were registered in 1896.[1] Some food historians consider it the first junk food.[2]

At American baseball games, during the middle of the seventh inning, there is a thing called “The Seventh Inning Stretch”. During this stretch, the crowd stands up and sings “Take Me Out to the Ball Game”. One line in the song goes:
“Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack…”
From Wikipedia: Cracker Jack is an American brand of snack food that consists of molasses-flavored, caramel-coated popcorn, and peanuts, well known for being packaged with a prize of trivial value inside. The Cracker Jack name and slogan, "The More You Eat The More You Want", were registered in 1896.[1] Some food historians consider it the first junk food.[2]
since we seem to be doing all things that are associated with cracker, I have heard of cracker barrel cheese.IMG_20230319_133326.jpgCan you believe the name Cracker Barrel has been fact checked Here is what it has to say... the inventiveness of some people.

"Cracker was a slang term for whip," reads one Facebook post that features an image of the company’s name and logo. "Thats why blacks called whites crackers, from the crack of the whip. A cracker barrel is a barrel that held the whips for sale at the country store. You see the whip going from the R to the K? Racism in your face!!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom