UAS Symptons Appearing

hopkid

Reaction score
I've been playing ukulele for 5 days now and I'm already looking online at other models, particularly vintage ones. I have a passion for all things vintage (music, clothing, etc.) and ukes are no exception apparently. So help me understand a bit about the going rate on vintage ukes. Here is what's advertised as a c. 1950s Kamaka soprano which has a Buy It Now price of $650.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kamaka-Soprano-...227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4940cbb

It only appears to have a few superficial flaws. The page has been viewed 147 times as of this posting. So why hasn't this been snapped up yet?

No telling why it hasn't sold yet. The price is not outrageous. They turn up often on ebay, so why rush to buy if you just started playing?
On the other hand, if you've got the UAS itch and the '$cratch' to spend...

No telling why it hasn't sold yet. The price is not outrageous. They turn up often on ebay, so why rush to buy if you just started playing?
On the other hand, if you've got the UAS itch and the '$cratch' to spend...

I don't feel the need to buy a new one just yet (I'm loving my KoAloha concert!). Just trying to get edumacated.

Just trying to get edumacated.

Take a quick look at Hawaii craigslist music instruments ukulele category.
Very edumactional.:drool:

Lots of info and good stories to be had around here, some folks have their own little "herds" of vintage Kamakas from throughout the ages.

Aloha Hopkid,
Maybe a wee bit high....I'd pay 325-400 for an average one and mint up to 450.00 no more in hawaii....For 650...I'd better get a new one for 50.00 more....just my two cents.. mm stan..

I agree (again) with mmStan on this one. It's a nice instrument, but the price is a few hundred $$ too high to be snapped up in a hurry. I would rather have a new one for a few bucks more - and I like vintage instruments, too. That said, all the Kamakas I have played sounded great to me. The old ones did not sound noticeably different than the new ones.

I've been playing ukulele for 5 days now and I'm already looking online at other models, particularly vintage ones. I have a passion for all things vintage (music, clothing, etc.) and ukes are no exception apparently. So help me understand a bit about the going rate on vintage ukes. Here is what's advertised as a c. 1950s Kamaka soprano which has a Buy It Now price of $650.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kamaka-Soprano-...227?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb4940cbb

It only appears to have a few superficial flaws. The page has been viewed 147 times as of this posting. So why hasn't this been snapped up yet?
maybe the economy??? $650 is a lot of money. Most folks (myself included) like to window shop. I'm not going to buy that nice ukulele, but that doesn't stop me from looking and dreaming (of course my UAS is pretty much subbdued at the moment).

Aloha Hopkid,
Maybe a wee bit high....I'd pay 325-400 for an average one and mint up to 450.00 no more in hawaii....For 650...I'd better get a new one for 50.00 more....just my two cents.. mm stan..

I also agree with mm stan. For $50 more, get a brand new one!

maybe the economy??? $650 is a lot of money. Most folks (myself included) like to window shop. I'm not going to buy that nice ukulele, but that doesn't stop me from looking and dreaming (of course my UAS is pretty much subbdued at the moment).

Good point. I'll be in HNL starting this Friday so I'll be doing a lot of window shopping but I won't buy anything at this point. My wife would kill me. Then divorce me.

If she kills you, maybe you'll go to ukulele heaven.

Top Bottom