Minnesota

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Husband and I decided we are moving to Minnesota, in the Twin Cities area (probably Minneapolis). I'm going to go up there as soon as possible to find a job and place to live. Does anyone know some good places to start looking for work?

What type of work are you looking for?

How about a temp agency? Sometimes it's temp to hire.

My DIL is also looking for work. Can't have you competing!

I thought of a temp agency but I'm not sure if they would hire someone who was living out of state? I guess that's my one challenge at this time.

I've done a lot of work. Right now I'm an inside sales rep at a military contractor. I have customers (military and other government contractors) contact me for quotes and sales on anything you can imagine. I seek the item. get the price, sell it, ship it, track it, invoice it, etc. It's a small business so I wear many hats, lol. Before that I did some customer service phone work for telecom companies and most recently, Anthem Blue Cross insurance. I've also worked in an reception/admin/clerical position, took a bartending course 10 years ago, worked in retail (man, I'm starting to feel old remember all the jobs I've done). I have a AA in Business management.

Shouldn't be a problem for you. We have BlurCroos/Blue Shield here. Any chance you can just keep your job and do it here (Twin Cities, I mean)? There is also Comcast here (plus others, I'm sure).

Where to live? Perhaps Northeast Mpls? But we call it Nordeast.

Shouldn't be a problem for you. We have BlurCroos/Blue Shield here. Any chance you can just keep your job and do it here (Twin Cities, I mean)? There is also Comcast here (plus others, I'm sure).

Where to live? Perhaps Northeast Mpls? But we call it Nordeast.
I'm not working for them anymore. I was through a temp agency but I maybe I can check out of there are any openings online for direct employment.

I'm trying to get my husband to look at the community colleges so he can decided where he wants to go and that we can be close to that or work.

I hope the move goes well. I'm happy that you're moving closer to your native Canada. Will you have to become a Wild fan?

I'm not working for them anymore. I was through a temp agency but I maybe I can check out of there are any openings online for direct employment.

I'm trying to get my husband to look at the community colleges so he can decided where he wants to go and that we can be close to that or work.
You've got good skills. Plus you can play the ukulele. What more could an employer want? :)

I hope the move goes well. I'm happy that you're moving closer to your native Canada. Will you have to become a Wild fan?
Lol, no I boycotted hockey when the lock out was around... hehe.

You've got good skills. Plus you can play the ukulele. What more could an employer want? :)
You bring up very good points, haha!

My immigration process is still in effect. I'm waiting on my 10 year card. It's supposed to be done March but that's if they stick to the schedule, I really want out of here sooner!

I just found out I can move out of State! Yay! So hopefully I can be in MN at the end of february.

Welcome to MN. February, eh? bring your mukluks!

Hopefully you'll like it here. There's a wide variety of culture and lack of culture and pleanty to do both indoors and out.

Last edited:
Welcome to MN. February, eh? bring your mukluks!

Hopefully you'll like it here. There's a wide variety of culture and lack of culture and pleanty to do both indoors and out.
I'm pretty sure I will like it. My husband is from North-Western Montana and I'm from different parts of Ontario, Canada so we'll at least be used to the weather. :)

You'll fit right in! Minnesota, and the Twin Cities, is a great place to live. Easy access to all types of music (check out the Cedar Cultural Center) and a great arts scene.

The community college, technical colleges, and vocational colleges in and around the cities are quite good. While they offer similar programs, they tend to specialize in a few areas. Minneapolis Community and Technical College (MCTC) has a partnership with Metro State so one can easily transfer to a four year degree program. Be sure your husband looks at all of the offerings. In addition to the day time curriculum, the schools offer strong continuing education programs. I've had an opportunity to teach at, and consult to, a number of the schools. That may make me a little biased.

Like Sukie said, there's large Blue Cross Blue Shield center in the Minneapolis area. They have a huge call center there. Their job site is http://careers.bluecrossmn.com/?source=hplf. The job market is tight, but a lot of larger companies are relying on contract, or temp labor, these days. Let me know what area you end up looking at. If I know of any job opportunities I'll pass them on to you. Can't promise anything other than a lead or two.
--Garry

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback!

I was trying to see if there are any insides sales type job openings with companies like Hagemeyer, Graybar or Grainger even.

Good to see you around again, Melissa. :)

Just out of curiosity, what made you and your husband decide on Minnesota? I know at one time you were considering the PNW.

You've probably already thought of this, but are there any veterans organizations there that might be able to help with "ins" for jobs or housing?

Good to see you around again, Melissa. :)

Just out of curiosity, what made you and your husband decide on Minnesota? I know at one time you were considering the PNW.

You've probably already thought of this, but are there any veterans organizations there that might be able to help with "ins" for jobs or housing?
I don't know. I know there are some for jobs but Minnesota has no military installations and once we are out, we can't use any of the services, I don't think.

I chose Minnesota because it has a low unemployment rate, good schools and 4 seasons.

Ok, entire life changing again. We are thinking the best thing is to move to the Tacoma, WA area, or somewhere in between. Micah has family close to there and we are hoping it will help in some way. I don't want to be dependent on others (we won't really be able to anyways because they are strapped financially and the one uncle he has there is moving to Australia soon to be with his wife and and his sister is pretty much a criminal) but it will give us a chance to go somewhere that family has already lived in and can give us pointers. I'd love to go to Minneapolis but it's just proving to be too difficult. Heck, moving with no jobs or a place to live is hard enough to think about. Finding a place to live is not a huge worry for me but work is. With my background in customer service, sales, logistics, collections, office work, etc, I'm hoping to find something fast (lots of hoping here). But I'm scared. REALLY, REALLY scared. We don't have much money saved I'm worrying to no end. My husband doesn't have any experience other than his military job and that is freaking me out as well. He needs to have certain licenses and stuff to do the work he does for the army in the civilian world and they are very expensive....

Gahh.... going crazy.

I know I haven't been around and I've let some people down and pushed them away but I feel like you guys are the only ones I can come to with my worries and concerns. I just wish I was better at keeping friends.

Hi Melissa,
Sorry you won't make it to MN. When I was out in the Puget Sound area (by Bremerton) I worked for the Dept of the Navy as a civil servant. It's been a while but there's lots of military out there so hopefully either civil service or a support contractor might work out for you. Best of luck to you.

Merry Christmas.

Ok, entire life changing again. We are thinking the best thing is to move to the Tacoma, WA area, or somewhere in between. Micah has family close to there and we are hoping it will help in some way. I don't want to be dependent on others (we won't really be able to anyways because they are strapped financially and the one uncle he has there is moving to Australia soon to be with his wife and and his sister is pretty much a criminal) but it will give us a chance to go somewhere that family has already lived in and can give us pointers. I'd love to go to Minneapolis but it's just proving to be too difficult. Heck, moving with no jobs or a place to live is hard enough to think about. Finding a place to live is not a huge worry for me but work is. With my background in customer service, sales, logistics, collections, office work, etc, I'm hoping to find something fast (lots of hoping here). But I'm scared. REALLY, REALLY scared. We don't have much money saved I'm worrying to no end. My husband doesn't have any experience other than his military job and that is freaking me out as well. He needs to have certain licenses and stuff to do the work he does for the army in the civilian world and they are very expensive....

Gahh.... going crazy.

I know I haven't been around and I've let some people down and pushed them away but I feel like you guys are the only ones I can come to with my worries and concerns. I just wish I was better at keeping friends.

You might look into some veteran education programs. I heard about one yesterday on KFWB radio show in Los Angeles, and they mentioned a program that payed for vet education and living expenses. I think they mentioned Post 911 GI bill http://www.gibill.va.gov/. It was a financial call in show, and they said you could get up to $2000 a month in living expenses in addition to help with the education expenses.

Good Luck!
–Lori

Top Bottom