Recent content by ampeep

1. A

Vivaldi's "Summer" Alexandr Hrustevich - WOW

Gee, that must have been tough to play! o_O Don't know if anyone remembers, but used to watch the Lawrence Welk show when I was a kid & wanted to play accordion after seeing Myron Floren. BTW, we're fortunate to have an accordion player in our ukulele group. One of my friends used to plug his...
  2. A

In praise of Old Martins

Wow, thot it might have been a composite of various things including a face! That is really freaky!!
  3. A

In praise of Old Martins

llwalsh, sorry wasn't meaning to be sarcastic; probably used the wrong term. I meant the pic that's part of your signature.
  4. A

In praise of Old Martins

Interesting photo you have there; I like it! :cool:
  5. A

In praise of Old Martins

A lady in one of my ukulele groups was a student of Ohta-San and he sold her one of his Martins. It doesn’t look like much & is her ONLY instrument. They are neighbors so she used to give him rides to appointments.
  6. A

Funk Uke

Didn't realize that was possible on ukulele! You got da Funk! Great feel & timing - inspiring.
  7. A

2014 Ukulele Festival Hawaii - Willie K

Never thought about that before. :unsure::)
  8. A

Compared four string sets on my uke. Similar sound, but different feel & intonation.

Gotta give you a lot of credit to do these comparisons, cuz I hate to change strings.
  9. A

2014 Ukulele Festival Hawaii - Willie K

Two songs performed by Willie K in 2014 - a great talent that will be missed. This was a few years before I finally got to attend one.
  10. A

Portable voice amplifiers?

This is probably way beyond what you were asking for but here goes: Maybe some folks could play percussion (cajon, shakers), guitar, harmonica or as KohanMike did, convert to bass. This would spread out the sound & provide variety to the group's sound. I've found that bass players fill in the...
  11. A

Fingerstyle Bass (sort of)

I know what you mean, it's hard to introduce a song to the group while playing bass! Since I play a regular electric bass, it throws me off when I play my friend's uBass - have to LOOK where I'm going. Good luck with your new uBass.
  12. A

Good point! It seems as though lots of groups play at one level (usually loud). Introducing dynamics would help with the volume issue without adding electronics to the mix. At the same time, could also vary the tempo to make it more interesting.
  13. A

One drawback about getting any bass is that it’s hard to play alone. When I wasn’t in a group, used to play along to CDs of a wide variety of artists. Really helps when making up bass lines for songs you’ve never heard before.
  14. A

Was curious, did the guitarist start to play bass lines on guitar because he could no longer play guitar?
  15. A

Just thought of another way to avoid potential amplification wars. Maybe some folks could fingerpick, play arpeggios or strum on alternate beats instead of in unison. My group used to practice in rooms that had amps, drum sets & PA systems; sometimes the group next door would be sooooo loud...