Recent content by beautifulsoup

1. B

Ohana SK-75G - a plunky "dead" sound on B-flat, A string. Anyone else?

Hi, folks. I love my Ohana SK-75G; solid spruce top, solid flame maple back and sides, etc. Except for the dead B-flat tone on the A string. Several tones on the E string are quite dead, as well. But it's that B-flat on the A string that irks me! It just has a decided "thunk" to the...
  2. B

Should I be worried about my humidity level? Should I get a room humidifier as well?

I know the humidity thing has been discussed before... I've looked at some of the stuff here. I'm in the DC metropolitan area. My solid wood ukes are kept in good hard cases (not foam cases), and each uke has its own Oasis sound hole humidifier. The children (as my husband refers to them) are...
  3. B

Trying to find the chart of user preferences for strings by uke brand/type

Hello! I've been looking for a while, and maybe it's right under my nose - but I'm trying to find a chart that I saw here months ago; a chart, by uke, with user-preferred strings for each uke listed. I think I may have first encountered it via a link in a UU Member's signature. Help? Thanks...
  4. B

Anyone tried Worth Clears, Medium Tension, on a KALA SEM?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum. I'm always tempted to post in the Beginner's Forum, but I've been at this for a year and a half now. ETA: And now that I've already posted, I s'pose it is a beginner-ish question. My KALA SEM is "plunking" (buzzing?") at the fifth fret on the E string...
  5. B

Width of C strings in a set of Aquilas; is the ratio greater than in other brands?

Shoulda put the word "diameter" in the title, as opposed to width. Ah well, I can't seem to change that in the edit. I don't even know if that topic title makes sense. And this might be a dumb Noob question, but I'll try anyway... Every uke I've acquired in the last 15 months came strung...
  6. B

Recommendation for a "method" for private lessons for an 11 year old...?

I've got a pile of method books at home. I like The Hal Leonard/Lil' Rev, but I'm not sure the song selection in that book is right for age 11. Mel Bay Easy Method: I dunno. I've got some others I could look through. Some of the kid's ukulele methods I've seen seem "too young." Or...
  7. B

B6 Chord and D Augmented Chord

In short, I'm now looking at Jumpin' Jim's Happy Holidays book, and giving my first try at B6 and D Augmented chords. Yikes. In short, for those particular chords, (and for other chords where finger 4 needs to be on the C or G string fingers 2 and 3 are on higher strings), does anyone have...
  8. B

Belated Official Hello post! (Northern VA, Washington DC area)

Seems I joined on June 14, and never did a HELLO! post. My first post was actually in the Song Game thread. So, here goes. I purchased my first uke a year ago, learned some chords, and occasionally watched some YouTube tutorials and visited this forum. This year I upgraded a bit, and have...
  9. B

What do do about a clipped short C string, bridge level, that is poking into my arm?

Just what the subject line says. It's very short at the bottom of the figure 8 winding, so I don't think I should risk trying to clip it any shorter. But it sticks out in relationship to the other 3 strings, which are nicely tucked in line, and not an issue. But this sharp string edge that...
  10. B

Is my left hand just too weak yet, or what?! (doing fine on soprano, not on concert!)

I have a couple of soprano ukes; doing fine with those. But when I switch to my Lanikai concert, arrrgh! First fret barred chords are going dead. I'm careful not to touch the fret edges. When I start up playing, I'm "okay" - but the more I do, the worse I get at getting nice individual notes...
  11. B

Are friction tuners in any way "similar" to violin/cello peg heads?

Hello. I've been reading the various threads about geared tuners vs. friction tuners, etc. My small collection of ukes are all geared tuner-equipped. (three sopranos, and one concert). Now I'm more curious about trying friction tuners; up until now I have shied away... And yesterday I...
  12. B

Song Help Request Chords for "I'll Take You Dreaming" from the Danny Kaye movie, "The Court Jester"..?

That song is gorgeous; would you believe I'd never heard it before? Wow, we are both Danny Kaye fans! (We also have The Court Jester on DVD and I have several Danny Kaye CDs). To me, he was the best patter singer, bar none. (Gilbert and Sullivan, Tchaikovsky and Other Russians, Tongue...
  13. B

Song Help Request Chords for "I'll Take You Dreaming" from the Danny Kaye movie, "The Court Jester"..?

Thanks, PeteyHoudini. I also wanted to mention that I'm looking for chords only; I won't be making an arrangement. I'm still primarily at "strummer" level. Just started looking at some fingerpicking and moveable chords, etc. What's annoying is that my sheet music doesn't give the correct...
Top Bottom