Recent content by Bill Sheehan

1. Bill Sheehan

Gretsch Longneck Soprano?

Sorry, Z, just now realized that you had responded! Yes, you're probably right. I should just take the plunge and hope for the best! Well, as Johnny Carson might've said... "Film at eleven..." :)
  2. Bill Sheehan

"Having" vs. "Wanting"...

"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." This was said by Mr. Spock in an episode of Star Trek. And it got me to thinking... I must admit that when I'm "hankerin'" for a particular uke, or style...
  3. Bill Sheehan

You're right, Kaimuki! And the regular soprano-scale Gretsch that I formerly owned had a similar voice, and intonated accurately. So I was really disappointed when I woke up one morning (about three weeks into my ownership) and discovered that something was different about it-- the bridge...
  4. Bill Sheehan

Anyone have any experience with the Gretsch longneck soprano? I had their standard-size soprano several years ago, but unfortunately the bridge began to lift off and eventually popped off while I was sleeping one night. I was bummed because that uke had a really nice jangly voice. I heard of...
  5. Bill Sheehan

Kiwaya standard vs thinline sopranos

Sounded really good, in any event!
  6. Bill Sheehan

Kiwaya standard vs thinline sopranos

Thank you, John! Very nice demo video! Just out of curiosity, were you tuned down a half-step?
  7. Bill Sheehan

I'm on Fire (Bruce Springsteen)

You bet, John! Now, I noticed that our friend Dave doesn't feature fire in his videos. Probably because, as we know, he's... matchless. :)
  8. Bill Sheehan

An Original Composition

That was a scream!
  9. Bill Sheehan

I'm on Fire (Bruce Springsteen)

Allow me to "second" Dave's comment!
  10. Bill Sheehan

Nut Width On The Ohana SK-30M

Stephanie from Ohana (a very nice person) advises that the nut on the SK-30M (being a concert scale on soprano body) is 1 mm wider than their usual soprano nut. This isn't huge, obviously, but I'll just throw it out there anyhow!
  11. Bill Sheehan

Thanks, Mikelz! Now, if I could just follow that up a little further... would you say that the nut width you mentioned (34 mm) is somewhat wider than a typical soprano nut?
  12. Bill Sheehan

Thanks, BH! I'll give that a try!
  13. Bill Sheehan

I've been looking at the Ohana SK-30M longneck soprano. Does anyone know if (in addition to the extra fretboard length afforded by the concert scale) the nut width on this uke is a little bit more generous than the nut width on a typical Ohana soprano? Thanks!
  14. Bill Sheehan

Magic Flea sound

Hi Sporky, I have owned several Flukes and Fleas in the soprano, concert and tenor scales, and I've always felt that the sweetest sounding of them all were the standard-issue concert-scale Fleas (poly fretboard, standard friction tuners). I currently have a soprano Flea, but I must say...
  15. Bill Sheehan

Did anyone else name their ukulele?

Hahahaha! Love this!