Recent content by chris667

1. chris667

Decision paralysis deciding which Uke to buy next

You are an adult, so I won't try to tell you how to make decisions, but honestly? At that price, you are better looking at something secondhand. The used market is not so good at the minute. The amount you're talking about spending is perversely not that much - you can still find quite a...
  2. chris667

Enya mahogany ukes

Well, as we're talking about scientific purposes.... :ROFLMAO: The difference between satin and matt finishes on most mass-produced instruments is usually a matting agent in the varnish. There is more or less the same amount of finish on the instrument, it's just that if you add a matting...
  3. chris667

Play Lists for Gatherings?

Alas, this is the case with almost all pubs now. Twang is in that there London, and he's lucky to get one pub where people sing along regularly. We had one in Derby, my local city, but it closed during lockdown. There's a good open mic scene, but that's a different thing. That's people with...
  4. chris667

Hello!

Hello! I am a soprano player too. I have a baritone which I use when I'm playing with other musicians - it is an easy way to change key. But if it was just me, my preference will always be exclusively sopranos. You definitely grow into soprano ukes. :)
  5. chris667

How many ukes have you got? (expanded poll)

I have realised from the last one that if I told you it would just be showing off. Far fewer than I used to have.
  6. chris667

Learning the ukulele when you don't like most music written for it?

As a fellow addict, I see you. And please accept my apologies if I sounded dismissive. I recommend doing some ear training. If it's ukulele you want to play, learn chords rather than notes - that's the opposite way round to most ear training courses. Then play along with songs you like until...
  7. chris667

Small quality amp for a 6-string bari/guitalele under $200

Honestly? Unless you have a particular type of music or sound that you're aiming for, stick with acoustic at home. The chase for fidelity can leave you thousands out of pocket. I have friends that have literally spent tens of thousands trying to get a natural sound, and it's never really right...
  8. chris667

Flight gut-850 or Sound Smith Spruce/Ovangkol SSG-3 Guitarlele

^^this^^. A thousand times over. Reviews are utterly pointless, if you pick two ukes of the same model each will be different. Forget the money. The cheaper uke you never play and bought unseen is always a bad deal.
  9. chris667

Small quality amp for a 6-string bari/guitalele under $200

More, unless you're going to be playing somewhere big, by which point you won't need to ask us! If you are playing in a room full of people and they're talking, don't play louder - if you do, they'll talk louder and then it will become unpleasant. Play quieter and if they're interested they'll...
  10. chris667

Do I cut my losses? (Unsatisfactory customized ukuleles)

Honestly, as galling as it is I would much rather walk away. If you pay the rest of the money and they're both lemons, you will have spent a lot of extra money and have two more ukes that you don't really like. If you booked a taxi to take you somewhere and you realised the driver was taking...
  11. chris667

uke vs. low humidity

Absolutely. Woodn't you believe it!
  12. chris667

Super-sized Baritone?

Yes, or if you were really interested, you could thin the neck down. I used to play with someone who played one. Lots of really decent children's classical guitars.
  13. chris667

Super-sized Baritone?

I have seen children's classical guitars converted to 4 strings. They can be excellent, you can get a lot for your money.
  14. chris667

Picked It Up Today

Mandowho? Welcome to the forum, Chiffon! I find mandolin rather too loud and strident for my taste as well. Glad you found us!
  15. chris667

Hi I am new

Hello Chris! My partner has autism too. I am pleased you are here!
Top Bottom