Recent content by frianm

1. F

Fear of Friction Tuners

Twice i bought ukes with friction tuners and in both cases they got UPTs. I still play old banjos and they come with friction tuners sometimes - I replace them with planetary tuners. I love planetary tuners. I replace the now common Grover guitar tuners with the Ratio tune-a-lele tuners. I love...
  2. F

FS: Gotoh UPTL, Black/Black

I figured they were, but I had to try - I love these tuners
  3. F

FS: Gotoh UPTL, Black/Black

I will take them if the above falls through. Thanks - Ian
  4. F

Unwound baritone fluocarbon or nylon ukulele strings

I am now on my third set of strings on my Pono MB - I love experimenting - purchased last month on the great Pono sale. The stock strings had two wound strings and I really wanted to try unwound strings as I too do not like string squeak. My second set was a set of Worth Browns, which have been...
  5. F

Flat wound Baritone Strings?

Will do when I return from the beach in the middle of the month.
  6. F

I appreciate the encouragement. This is my first foray into a baritone and as I began with guitar in the 1950s this is like coming home. Back then I would experiment with flat wound strings and hated their "tubbiness." String technology has come a long way since then. I love the depth of the...
  7. F

I have just acquired a baritone at the great Pono sale on Reverb. The first thing I did was order as set of Worth Browns - they have now settled in and I love them. I like the unwound strings and like all being fluorocarbon. There is NO SQUEAK. And now for a variation! I have now ordered a...
  8. F

Pono Blowing Out Some Ukes!

My baritone MB arrived yesterday and I unpacked it in the evening. I love it - super fast shipping, double boxed. I am now researching string options - wound vs. unwound and high d or low d. I never had one before so this is interesting. As I used to be a guitar player this is really fun to go...
  9. F

Pono Blowing Out Some Ukes!

I just purchased a simple mahogany baritone - I am thrilled.
  10. F

WTB Waverly tuning pegs

I have a pair of used sets - Koaloha and Schaller - if these might be of interest.
  11. F

Wanted Gotoh uptl tuner set

I am looking for a used set of the Gotoh uptl tuners. I actually only need three in the white metal color but I figure it is unlikely that anyone is selling three at a time! Please let me know if you are able to help - Thanks - Ian
  12. F

NUD - vintage Clarophone

I have been looking for a nice old vintage, no frills, ukulele banjo. This one popped up on Reverb at a dramatically reduced price and invited offers. I offered $80 + shipping and the seller agreed. It arrived late yesterday afternoon and so I immediately disassembled it and put it back with...
  13. F

Hilo strings - any information

I just bought a nice used ukulele and it came with a spare set of Hilo concert strings. They are distributed by Pegasus strings, Hilo, Hawaii, so they come from the big island. Does anyone know anything about them?
  14. F

Kamaka Tenor - 2002 with hard or soft case -

I am selling this lovely Kamaka Tenor. It is of course koa. I am trying to make sense of my instruments and this one should go to a new home. I am asking $950 in a Crossrock fiberglass case or $900 in a Reunion Blues Continental gig bag (one of the best made and super protective). Shipping...
  15. F

Wanted set of 4 Gotoh uptl tuners

I am looking for a used set of four Gotoh uptl tuners - Please let me know if you have a set for sale. Thanks - Ian