Recent content by Graham Greenbag

1. G

Beginner ukulele book suggestions

You have over 400 posts here and to me that implies some level of skill and experience. To help others to help you they really need to know what you’ve already read and what you’ve already managed to do. That said I’m a great believer in revisiting beginner books and in having multiple ones, no...
  2. G

Tips on kits for know-nothings

There are cheap kits on eBay were you glue the neck to the body and put the bridge on, etc, but to be honest you’d be better off buying a similarly priced and already built Uke - and far better off buying a cheap second-hand laminate Uke. The Stew Mac kit has no comparable competition, it’s not...
  3. G

Bar frets

I hesitate to comment but hope that I might add something helpful. It may be that to get the thickness desired it’s necessary to saw and file sheet brass to size. Some simple jigs might help / be needed. IIRC Sven (Argapa Ukes) has used bar frets on some of his builds, he used 4 x 1 mm and 3 x...
  4. G

Intonation Sharp on C String

That’s often the way of things, fluorocarbon strings need less compensation than nylon strings … The original post post might confuse folk, it’s rare for strings to be sharp at the nut end of the fret board (as in this case) and not uncommon for them to be sharp at the saddle end of the fretboard.
  5. G

What is the point of plastic ukes?

Certainly perceived durability. The trouble with plastic is that once it’s discarded it does not biodegrade - like wood would - and rather than being recycled it too often makes an environmental nuisance of itself. That doesn’t ‘chime’ with everyone and maybe I’m a killjoy for mentioning it...
  6. G

Soprano Intonation

Looking at your Avatar I see an old style (fat waisted and with friction tuners) Mahalo U30 and I know that you have very many ‘better’ instruments, but to my mind the yellow painted Mahalo conveys the joy of Ukes rather well. In a strange way those original Mahalos represent, to me at least, a...
  7. G

Soprano Intonation

Your hand built instrument likely does give you more than your Ohana soprano, and I have an Ohana concert so I’m not biased against the brand. It’s just a case of what the more is and whether that has value to you. I’ve not got an Ohana Soprano because I don’t like narrow necks and narrow spaced...
  8. G

Soprano Intonation

The Soprano is a joyful thing and particularly when you play (no pun intended) to its strengths and accept its weaknesses. Concerts and Tenors have their own merits too, I quite like my Concert Ukes but the Uke next to my chair is virtually always a Soprano. I play other instruments too and...
  9. G

Soprano Intonation

Sopranos can, in my experience, intonate perfectly adequately all the way up the neck but definitions of adequate vary. In my experience a Soprano can play fingerpicked music right up and down the neck and sound wonderful (check out Sam Muir). However, and as a lover of Sopranos I choke on...
  10. G

Soprano Intonation

IIRC you come from a guitar background and those long scales and high tension strings work differently than Sopranos. You might find these old threads helpful: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/psa-when-in-doubt-change-your-strings.153420/...
  11. G

Soprano Intonation

You seem to have struck very unlucky. I suspect that the best course for all concerned is for you to contact the builder and then ask for a return and refund, he’ll resell it to someone else who’s happy enough with the intonation. For what it’s worth short scale instruments like Sopranos are...
  12. G

Another Timms on eBay

Maybe there’s some confusion. This second hand one went for £600 on the 15th : https://www.ebay.com/itm/175481467168?nma=true&si=CUpPEWhoZf7%252BnHjvXYWJs4W9TXg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
  13. G

Another Timms on eBay

Bargain? Any discount on a new price is appreciated, but I rather think that the seller got a good price and the buyer less so.
  14. G

Missing Soprano

A reference to Ken’s post would have been good, here it is and I see that I posted there too: https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/index.php?threads/caught-out-again.155861/ This is what I said there and it wasn’t negative towards to buyer: “For me the cost of Ken’s Ukes is a lot of money and...
  15. G

Missing Soprano

You’re right Ken. As an ex-inspector you’ll know that even the best of workman makes the occasional error. You provide photos and clearly stand behind your work, but you can’t please everyone. Me, I’d just be glad to have a Timms and that one would’t get confused with all the others that my club...