Recent content by haberkow

1. H

Season 597- PHOTOSYNTHESIS

In this song, the estimable Sir George Ivan Morrison, also known as Van, gives us everything we need for some serious photosynthesis, including ivy, flowers, green grass, sunshine, and even a little rain from the skies above.
  2. H

Season 596: There are more questions than answers

Hi folks, haven't sung in a while but have heard lots of great tunes. Keep it up! In "California (do you still...)," the singer asks a lot of questions, apparently of an old lover, and seems to conclude that yes, in fact, she still does. I'd love to know the back story...
  3. H

SOTU 561 "MORAL TURPITUDE"

Season of the Ukulele 561 is "Moral Turpitude" and asks for songs "about really naughty people." This one is from Warren Zevon's last album and reflects on a history of turpitude rather than a single incident. Lifetime achievement award, I suppose. This was inspired by Bobby's Warren Zevon cover...
  4. H

Season 558 - Uke from the start

I thought of this one after listening to Wim's awesome cover of "Without You" earlier this week, and - since no one covered it yet as of Friday evening Pacific time - decided to drop this in. I have a feeling that others have covered it in prior seasons (and much better, no doubt!) but a quick...
  5. H

SEASON 556- 1972

Season of the Ukulele 556 asks for songs from 1972. Wikipedia says that Jim Croce's breakthrough came in 1972 with his third album, "You Don't Mess Around with Jim." The album had three singles that charted - "Operator," "Time in a Bottle,", and the title track. Two ballads and a thumper, and...
  6. H

Season 555 - The Number ‘5’ And The Letter ‘E’

Funny, I first remember hearing the phrase when Van Morrison put out an album called "Three Chords and the Truth." Thought it was a great title. But after reading your post, I checked the web, which says that songwriter Harlan Howard coined it back in the 50s...
  7. H

Season 555 - The Number ‘5’ And The Letter ‘E’

You have to get all the way to the last verse in this song about growing up in the America South to find the '5', but it's worth it - at least in the Lucinda Williams version - because the song (and the whole album for that matter) is so evocative. "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" is the only...
  8. H

SOTU 554 "Swayin' to the tempo of a squeezebox melody" Songs About Instruments

THAT IS KILLER!!! Is "Fishpond" the name of your band, or perhaps of the venue?
  9. H

SOTU 554 "Swayin' to the tempo of a squeezebox melody" Songs About Instruments

Add one more for the guitar! This is a John Hiatt tune, and I watched a clip from one of his concerts with where he said that he was inspired by seeing a video where a musician threw his bass up in the air and, when it came down, it hit him in the head. Crazy. I would have guessed the song was...
  10. H

Season 546...can we revisit Season 54?

Season of the Ukulele 546 "has gone to the birds," and asks for songs that mention a bird at least once. I don't know if the morning bird in this song is animal or metaphor, but I like it either way.
  11. H

Season 532: All aboard!

This song is from Paul Simon's "Hearts and Bones" album, and is said to be about his first marriage. I like the song, and I like this quote attributed to Paul that I found online: “The title of the song and the line that keeps recurring is a metaphor. And although I liked the metaphor and I...
  12. H

Season 532: All aboard!

After reading the description of SOTU 532, I searched the web to find out what songs John Hiatt has written about trains. I discovered the story of "Train to Birmingham," which Hiatt apparently wrote when he was 19, but didn't record until about 40 years later. He explains in an interview on...
  13. H

Season 530 - ‘Brothers And Sisters And Keep On Running’

Hi Del and everybody, Like Bob says above, sorry I've not been around awhile. I've been checking in and have enjoyed the recent seasons and songs, but the uke has been mostly collecting dust... My father died 9 years ago after a 2 year battle with cancer. He was positive and strong throughout...
  14. H

Season 517: Wind

I don't think anyone played this one yet.... When I searched YouTube for "the wind", this song came up on the first page - and I remember it from listening to Cat Stevens records in college with my friend, Charlie. We were a bit after the time of Cat Stevens, but not too much. Yusuf uploaded a...
  15. H

Season 515 - ‘Change’

Thanks for the great end of year season, Del! Watching so many great performances from the playlist made me want to play something. I thought of this song that I learned a year or so ago when I was grumpy about my work situation at the time.... I think Justin Townes Earle was tremendous, and...
Top Bottom