Recent content by haole

1. haole

If only YOU could hear your music. AKA, intrinsic or extrinsic motivation?

I like playing for playing’s sake. Performing isn’t my thing. That said, I have a good buddy that I met on here and we busk in Central Park in the warm seasons. It’s a blast. I think it would be just as fun with no audience, though!
  2. haole

Why no fret #3 fret dots?

When I get a custom I’m gonna make sure there’s a dot at every fret!
  3. haole

How does my 2002 Koaloha compare to the new ones?

I have a 2002 KoAloha tenor. There’s a pretty big difference between the older ones and the newer ones! -KoAloha used to use hand-shaped koa necks, which are thicker and heavier than the CNC-shaped mahogany necks (made at the National factory) they use now. It’s a matter of personal preference...
  4. haole

Unforgettable ukulele/music experiences

My first ukulele memory was my grandfather singing and playing old tunes on his baritone. He never forgot “Five Foot Two” and “Swimmin’ with Bowlegged Women” even after dementia started to sink in. I inherited his uke and didn’t really know what to do with it for a while. Meeting you, Aldrine...
  5. haole

OokStrngrz app is amazing!

Just downloaded UU's new OokStrngrz app and I must say, I'm amazed. Frustrated with the sound of my strings on all my ukes, I was about to flood the forum with a bunch of threads asking for string recommendations for each instrument based on their individual mass, density, top thickness, bracing...
  6. haole

Godin MultiUke Review

Didn't think there would be a NUD in my future for a long time, but my folks surprised me with this baby for Christmas! Review time. The gig bag First thing I noticed was how nice the gig bag is. There's lots of padding and reinforcement, a little cushion for the neck with a velcro strap...
  7. haole

Ukulele Hanging On Wall...Yes or No?

I keep my current rotation hanging on the wall near my bed. We have a decent humidifier that handles the whole first floor, so it's been working out fine for a year and a half!
  8. haole

Are Ko'olau and D'addario t-2 the same strings?

Ko'olau Alohis are made ten miles from me and I've been having them shipped to me from Hawaii?
  9. haole

Mainland concert neck & fretboard

Bought this concert mahogany neck and rosewood fretboard from Mainland months ago with the intention to make something out of it, but sadly I just don't have the time or motivation to do it. Comes with a neck block that's a little scuffed (looks like it was cut roughly in the factory), and a...
  10. haole

My new Talsma "semi-custom" tenor ukulele

Yup! Just looked at the label of mine and it's a PS-49-4. So it might not be the same exact model after all, but very similar. I hadn't seen another one or met anyone who knew anything about it either, until now! Haven't modified mine much, since it's a family heirloom and all (just swapped the...
  11. haole

Reading Sheet Music- Humor

I wish it was this easy.
  12. haole

Can anyone identify John Frusciante's 8-string uke?

Just found a picture of John Frusciante (formerly of the Red Hot Chili Peppers) and a couple of his guitars, along with an old, unidentified uke. Anyone know what make it is? He's one of my musical heroes and I was pleasantly surprised to see a uke in his collection of instruments! Slightly...
  13. haole

Homemade 3-uke wall hanger!

I made this a couple months back and meant to show you guys! It's just an old skimboard with a wooden frame to flatten it out against the wall, and some tool hooks from the hardware store. Just acquired another skimboard (slightly larger than that one) so it looks like I might make another!
  14. haole

Kala U-Bass Review

Got my mom the spruce-top U-Bass for her birthday. We've both spent a lot of time playing it over the past week and a half, so I think a review is in order. ;) We have the spruce top model (with frets), which was purchased from MGM on eBay for $399. The spruce top U-Bass is the least...
  15. haole

1981 Guild D-35 dreadnought acoustic guitar

Thought I'd give you guys a shot at this first! I'm selling a 1981 Guild D-35 guitar. It was purchased brand new by my mother 30 years ago, and is gloriously beat up! Made in Westerly, Rhode Island, USA. It's dinged, dented, scratched, and broken-in: perfect if you want a reliable player! The...
Top Bottom