Recent content by icuker

1. I

Western Maple and Port Orford Cedar Tenor uke

Sorry about the link. Here's a video link of me playing it in one of the groups I play with. Hopefully you can get some sense of the sound. Ahh, I did find it, The date of the video is after this review but that is the very same uke. he must have posted it later.
  2. I

Covid Booster

For sure. I'll jump in line as soon as I am able. Tired of playing it safe....Got my first two shots as a soon as I could.
  3. I

I'm resurrecting this old thread just to follow up about this Uke review. I can't believe it's been 10 years since I purchased it, but it is still my favorite. I use it almost exclusively, though now it is tuned to low G. (lately, I've been playing my Bushman concert due to the fact it is...
  4. I

Baritone uke tuned up to Hi C tenor tuning

Was at a store today where they had a Baritone Uke tuned re-entrant and tuned up to the tenor C tuning. It had a great sound quality. I didn't readily find any sets on line to match that and now wonder if it would be too much tension? It sure sounded great though.
  5. I

BeatNik's Ultimate Ukulele Songbook

Has anyone tried this product? You sign up for $30 and get access to like 2600 songs. If you have tried it what is your opinion of it?
  6. I

Beloff Leap year songbook

Hi, I posed this question on FMM also but thought I'd ask here as well. A friend bought the Leap year edition and let me take a quick browse through it. I like the song selection. However, our Uke club had bought the first book (365) but found that the songs too often weren't in good...
  7. I

Spar Urethane for finish

I am in the process of refinishing my Papoose (a Uke like instrument with 6 steel strings). The old finish was lifting off (it was a poly finish) and so I scraped and sanded it down and put on some coats of spray shellac. It seemed a little soft and easy to scratch so I steel wooled it down...
  8. I

Do Baritones have a problem with buzzing?

I posted a thread earlier about whether to get a truss rod or not in a baritone. So this is a followup question. I have tried a number of baritones that some folks in our Uke club have and they all have buzzing issues. Some buzzed all over the map, very extensive. I've played high end ones...
  9. I

To Truss or Not to Truss

I am thinking I might like to get a Baritone Uke. I've considered the Kala Acacia and Pono Acacia or Mahogany, all in the $400 range. Pono's have a truss rod but Kala does not. Should I be concerned about that? Exactly what does a truss rod do? Is it only related to action or can it correct...
  10. I

Pages missing from the Daily Ukulele book

I had bought the Daily Uke book out east when I was visiting my kids, as our local music store didn't have it in. I pulled it out at the Uke club and it's missing pages from 95 - 112. Any suggestions? Our local store has since gotten them in. Do I contact Hal Leonard or what?
  11. I

Mahogany bridge?

I had a luthier glue a bridge off a busted up uke I had to another vintage uke I had bought. It worked great and looks very nice on the vintage uke. But I would like to make a bridge for my busted up uke that I have glued back together. Anyway, I have mahogany sitting around. Would that...
  12. I

Can I use a 4th wound classical guitar string for a low G tenor uke string?

Hi, My question says it all. Just went to the local music shop and that is what they suggested. I bought one but thought i'd ask first since I don't want to put too much tension on the neck. (It is the D wound of a classical set that I want to use as a Low G on a Tenor Uke I have). Thanks...
  13. I

Well, I promised Perry Bullinger I'd review his ukulele and I am finally getting around to it. Long story short, I had originally bought a Lanakai tenor and sold it and tried other sizes but finally decided I am really a tenor guy. I had some extra money to buy something nice so i decided I'd...
  14. I

Stew Mac Tenor - Can I radius the fretboard?

If I were to buy the StewMac tenor kit, would it be thick enough to do a radius fretboard, or should I buy a guitar fretboard and cut it down to size? Also, I searched on radius fretboards and most said they didn't think it mattered much. I know mileage may vary, but I had a Mya Moe Uke in...
  15. I

Setting a Bridge

I bought an old solid wood unlabeled uke (maybe an old Harmony?). It has cracks etc and a belly bulge and the bridge wasn't seated fully on the top. I took the back off to fix cracks with cleats and popped the bridge off. Good news is that cleating and putting a bridge plate in helped to...