Recent content by JackLuis

1. JackLuis

Different Woods For Uke Top or Sound Board?

I've tried several top woods and due to my hearing loss, Freq selective, I fid that my zebra wood cheapies and my cedar topped rose wood are my favorites. My Spruce topped conncert was too 'bright' and a mahogany was icky. I got an ebony and rose wood concert a while back and I like it but it...
  2. JackLuis

Have you ever given a Uke to someone else?

I actually started to play when my granddaughter asked her mom for one. I thought I'd be able to develop a relationship with her using the Ukes. My next door neighbor is a guitar player in a gig band and taught me a lot about chords and rythem playing. Gary and I played on Seasonistas, a the...
  3. JackLuis

Have you ever given a Uke to someone else?

Three years ago I had surgery and the Drs said I may never play Uke again, cause they cut my left arm up to get a piece of bone to fix my Skull. Well I had a nine Uke collection and lots of Nephews, so I gave my two sopranios to the two youngest 5 & 8 yer olds Grand nephews, a Concert to my 20...
  4. JackLuis

Boogie Woogie Uke?

I ran across "Cow Cow Boogie" this morning before dawn and researched it to find out if it could be played on the Uke? I found it finally in C#, which oddly, has no C# chords? But chords I can play on my Baritone or Concert. It's not a rythem song but is pretty tough to break the habit of four...
  5. JackLuis

String mass and wood selection?

I got a new Ebony and Rosewood Concert yesterday and it is extreamly weak voiced? It is a laminate and the strings are very thin. I generally play tenor or bartitone ukes and this Ebony is just limp when it comes to volume. I'm thinking now that the strings just don't have enough mass to...
  6. JackLuis

Down the Rabbit Hole, Again!

I woke up this morning with Gene Autry on my mind, specifically, "Back In the Saddle Again." I couldn't remember all the lyrics, or chords, so I goggled and that led me to Allen Jackson's,Tom T. HAll's "Buicks to the Moon" What? I had to find out what that was about. It's another C-F-G7th song...
  7. JackLuis

Lightbulb Moment!

I was looking at You Tubes about Guitar playing as I was letting my Guitalele strings set up and found this "Tube on Patterns "Triangel and square", when it hit me. We can use the instruction of Guitar on the Ukulele, by just subtracting 5 fromthe frets of the guitar, and ignore the 5th and 6th...
  8. JackLuis

UAS Struck Again!

I am a fan of Caramel Uku's and often search for them on Amazon. I was struck by the recent addition of Guitarleles to the Amazon listings and looked at them. Decided to buy one for my Son-In-Law for his belated Birthday present. All solid Acacia Baratone sized Guitarlele tuned E-E. Came...
  9. JackLuis

UAS on a Budget!

I think I've had a relapse of my UAS! :uhoh: I was reading Uke Talk and thought I'd look at Ebay to see when the tuning knobs I ordered would be shipped. I wanted to change the silver knobs on my Caramels out to wood, toned and found a set of six for under five bucks, so ordered two sets so I...
  10. JackLuis

Learning to read and play Music

A couple of weeks ago I decided to learn to read music. After four years of playing chord sheets and strumming, I thought I needed to learn to play notes. I found a Android app that quizzes you on the Staff and after a few days could recognize the whole Treble staff from Low D to high C. Not...
  11. JackLuis

WHy Oh WHy?

After much UAS derangement I bought a couple of Ohana Ukes, a Spruce topped Concert and a solid Cedar and Rosewood tenor, both have the same problem, the third string booms if it is not fretted. This drives me nutz! I almost can not play them and end up playing my Zebra wood Caramels which...
  12. JackLuis

Wood and Uke

I found this site surfing and It looks like you can research any wood. Are Rosewoods (and Bubinga) really banned by CITES? Use the Search for any wood .
  13. JackLuis

Strings String suggestions for Cedar on Rosewood?

D'Addario Carbons (EJ99) and PhD's do well with cedar.
  14. JackLuis

NAD-New Amp Day

Today I got my first Amp! A Honeytone micro amp. Yeah, I know it's wimpy, but it has surprising volume and was inexpensive, which is a most endearing attribute to a poor retiree. Most of my Ukes have built in Eq/Preamps but I've seldom played amped until now. I tried it using a contact...
  15. JackLuis

NUD Caramel CP-100 Sopranino/Pocket

Randy the tech at the Strum Shop said he'd have my uke ready yesterday PM. Rather that drive in PM traffic I went up this morning early~ 9AM. I took my other sopranino up to get a button on it as well but, Randy wasn't in and he hadn't done the work on the new one! Oh well.:-( Anyway I...
Top Bottom