Recent content by jackwhale

1. jackwhale

Cross training.

I've been playing a lot more guitar lately...mainly flat picking swing tunes with another uke player. Over the past few weeks I've returned to the baritone, and have been really surprised at how much I've improved as a uke player even though I've not played much for quite a while. I especially...
  2. jackwhale

Pete Seeger died on Monday--94 yo

Pete Seeger died yesterday at the age of 94. He certainly was a hero to me growing up. Although he is identified with the long neck 5-string banjo, I just read in the NYTimes that he started out playing the ukulele as a child. Both parents were active musicians and teachers. One more...
  3. jackwhale

There is at least one more famous Tasmanian.

I've been avidly following the Tour de France. A fellow named Chris Froome is in the lead with 5 days to go. Richie Corte (#6) from Tasmania has been leading his teammate Froome up the big climbs. I'm expecting to see Eugene playing his uke at the top of one of the climbs.
  4. jackwhale

FS Mya Moe curly redwood baritone

THIS UKE IS SOLD. THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST. JACK I'm selling this beautiful Mya Moe baritone (851). Char picked out this curly redwood top and it is really spectacular. I hope the pictures are able to convey that. The back/sides are walnut. Other pictures in my profile. The uke is in...
  5. jackwhale

Mya Moe has a new site design

Mya Moe #851 showed up at my office on Friday. I haven't let it out of my sight until I left for work today. This baritone is exactly what I wanted. Redwood and Walnut were chosen because those are the two main types of trees on my property. Fortunately they also sound good. Lots of punchy...
  6. jackwhale

Mya Moe curly redwood ukes?

I ordered a Mya Moe curly redwood baritone [#851] and it will be completed in three weeks. After a lot of discussion about tone, Char suggested the curly redwood from their supply. She felt it is somewhat 'crisper' than the usual redwood and not quite so bright as a spruce top ukulele. I'm...
  7. jackwhale

Song Help Request Don't Get Around Much Anymore

I'm in the office now but I thought it was in the Daily Ukulele also. Its an old Ellington song.
  8. jackwhale

Song Help Request Hey There Delilah

I found this link: http://www.uke-chords.com/songs/hey-there-delilah
  9. jackwhale

What if my two Pohaku tenors had a baby?.........New Uke Day!

I saw that concert uke while Peter was building my tenor. It was a very sweet instrument. My Pohaku 'silver whale' koa tenor might the 'uncle' to your three ukes.
  10. jackwhale

Eugene Ukulele CDs--Wow! Wow! Wow!

I just received Jon's CDs. The first mail I have ever received from Tazmania. This collection is fabulous. I started off with Leatherwing Bat and was immediately hooked. I've listened to Jon's YouTubes on my laptop or iPhone and was not prepared for the subtlety that I had been missing. On my...
  11. jackwhale

How many times this was asked?

I've had my Pohaku tenor for two weeks. It is curly koa--top, back and sides. I love the sound and everything about the Pohaku. Peter Hurney (Mr Pohaku) inlayed the headstock with a humpback whale in silver wire. Even though I've been strictly a baritone player, this instrument is my keeper.
  12. jackwhale

A push for walnut!

I recently ordered a MyaMoe baritone with a curly redwood soundboard and walnut back and sides. Here is what Char picked out for the uke. The only problem is that it won't arrive until November.
  13. jackwhale

Has anyone changed electronics in Eleuke.

I have a baritone Eleuke which I generally like. I have had some issues with variation in volume output between each string and rather limited ability to adjust the tone control. I have the tone control knob turned all the way to bass and this generally produces a pleasing tone. Any other...
  14. jackwhale

Song Help Request Bohemian Rhapsody - Jake's version

I've never heard of an artist sending a legal objection to someone listening to a recorded song and informally posting their suggested chords/arrangment on a public forum such as UU. Anyone else aware of other artists who have sent a similar legal notice?
  15. jackwhale

Tony Graziano uke at Artisan Guitars

I have a Tony Graziano baritone. Its a beautiful uke.
Top Bottom